Hidden rivers in Adelaide hills

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hidden rivers in Adelaide hills

Postby Hikingjack » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 6:25 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this sight and was wondering weather there are any nice, hidden rivers that not many people know about in the Adelaide hills that I can hike to. Have seen pics of some beautiful ones but don't know where to start as I'm new to this. Cheers.
Hikingjack
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Re: Hidden rivers in Adelaide hills

Postby Nuts » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 6:11 am

G'day jack. Are there rivers in the Adelaide hills? I recall nice Würste and boutique beers : )
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wander » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 10:10 am

Interesting question. I live in Adelaide.

There are some interesting gorges on the East side and all but 1 (whose name eludes me right now) I know of are on private property.

A starting point is Waterfall Gully and the tracks up to Lofty.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby eggs » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 2:53 pm

The big river near Adelaide is the Onkaparinga on the southern side.
It runs through from deep in the Adelaide Hills passing through Mt Bold Reservoir and cuts a nice gorge before making a grand sweep to a lovely cliff lined mouth at Port Noarlunga.
There are walking trails along the gorge section starting from old Noarlunga.
Search on Onkaparinga River Recreation Park.

The other major river is the River Torrens, but there are no parks or specific trails along it.
At the right time of year, the creeks that flow down into Adelaide can be very pretty.
That includes creeks and waterfalls in Morialta Conservation Park and at Cleland CP which includes Waterfall Gully [which has been flowing most of this last year] and Chambers Gully next to it.
Horsnells Gully would probably get some nice flows in it as well.

Creek5405sm.jpg
Chambers Gully in June
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LTM » Mon 24 Jun, 2013 4:45 pm

There is also the Marne River that starts near Springton and flows east into the Murray. It has a gorge where it flows out of the hills. It is on private property so you'll have to research that.
LTM
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby walk2wineries » Sat 24 Aug, 2013 5:14 pm

Actually Eggs, there is a linear park encompassing the Torrens most of its length from the old Tunnel upstream of Black Hill down to the Beach. Park is the word though, its developed. Upstream further there are some shorter walks along it at Birdwood. The Morialta Falls walks go some distance up 4th creek (Heysen Trail Map 3.5). Little Para River has a green corridor along most of its length from the Reservoir down to Elizabeth. Admittedly many of the rivers here are seasonal, but we went for a walk at the Barossa Goldfields yesterday and were unable to ford the South Para River. Makes a nice change!
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walk2wineries » Sat 24 Aug, 2013 5:20 pm

glitch. Reported it. W2W
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanielS » Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:16 am

A few weeks back I did a fantastic walk along the Sturt River with my girlfriend. We started in Coromandel Valley (carpark near the stone bridge on Coromandel Parade) and followed the path alongside the river for maybe an hour or so. We had to cross the river several times. At low water levels you could probably cross without getting your feet wet, but with the high water levels we had the water coming up over our shoes. We eventually turned back when we got to a crossing that would have required maybe knee deep wading. Definitely want to go back and go further along.
DanielS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wander » Tue 27 Aug, 2013 11:31 am

high water levels we had the water coming up over our shoes

aaahh South Oz Rivers, tough one day, tougher the next. :wink:
wander

Postby DanielS » Tue 27 Aug, 2013 2:22 pm

It was a raging torrent!!
DanielS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby walk2wineries » Wed 02 Oct, 2013 11:55 am

Walking group did Sturt Gorge - same river but starting from Blackwood,further down, and I think you're a bit further away from the houses than at Coramandel. Admittedly most of the flowers carpeting the reserve at the top were exotics, but still very pretty, and the gorge itself had convincingly flowing water - tiny cascades even - and a convincingly medium walk.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby clelander » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 10:27 pm

Perhaps not so much the 'Adelaide' Hills, but the southern Mt Lofty Ranges include Deep Creek Conservation Park with creeks Deep, Aaron, Marrano and Boat Harbour. The Aaron Creek Cove hike is one of the most beautiful valley walks in the state (though it was very overgrown last time I walked it).
clelander
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Zone-5 » Sun 05 Jan, 2014 1:11 am

There are heaps in Adelaide and in the hills above it. Just punch into your Garmin City Navigator or BlueChart search menu for 'Geographic Points' >> Water Features == results in 55 individual waterway geographical locations for walking!
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5

Region: Australia

Postby Dougy_101 » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 1:38 pm

Dougy_101
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ryanimf » Thu 13 Feb, 2020 5:15 pm

Half way between 2nd and 3rd falls in the morialta gorge. On the left there is a small creek on a right hand band. Go up this creek and you'll be greeted by the hidden 4th and 5th falls. When I worked there it was impossible to reach because of a BlackBerry infestation. I was involved in clearing this little hidden gem. Hopefully the weed control is still a priority. Bar another BlackBerry infestation it is an Easy walk. Enjoy
Ryanimf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby wander » Sat 15 Feb, 2020 11:42 am

So that is off the Fall Trail and if you push thru you end up on the Twin Creek Trail?
wander

Postby oysters » Sat 07 Mar, 2020 1:23 pm

Ryanimf wrote:Half way between 2nd and 3rd falls in the morialta gorge. On the left there is a small creek on a right hand band. Go up this creek and you'll be greeted by the hidden 4th and 5th falls. When I worked there it was impossible to reach because of a BlackBerry infestation. I was involved in clearing this little hidden gem. Hopefully the weed control is still a priority. Bar another BlackBerry infestation it is an Easy walk. Enjoy

Oh cool!

I was thinking of heading out for a bit of adventure this afternoon/evening, might check this out.

Edit: Looking at a map I think I know the infestation and creek you might be talking about... this is the opposite side of the start of Far Crag? There is a climbing area on the left (north west) side of the creek intersection? About 15 years ago a mate and I managed to get into that crag and do a couple of lovely lead climbing routes. I never thought about heading further up the creek though...
oysters
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory