Bibbulman

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bibbulman

Postby Esperancelad » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 4:13 pm

Gday,
Well me and my workmates have just been tapped on the shoulder and are expecting our 4 weeks notice in the next few weeks. I thought it would be a great time to leave the missus and Labrador for a month or so and have a go at the Bibbulman. About 5 years ago I did the overland in winter with some family friends who were experienced and provided a lot of the gear. This time I am going it alone, and Im probably looking at a late April or early May start. I realise it makes more sense to go Sth Nrth for climate related reasons, but a. I want the best part of the walk to be closer to the end (Ive been told the Walpole section) and b. if I finish in Albany I am closer to home (Esperance). A few questions to any seasoned campaigners.

In relation to cooking, what stove would be the way to go? can u easily buy gas at the towns along the way or should I start with all my fuel from perth?

Should I take my hiking boots, or would I get away with wearing sneaker style footwear?

I was looking at getting an 85 or 90L pack as Im a big fella (110kg) and need ample fuel to operate. Is this too excessive?

Anyone want to do a section or two?

All helpful replies would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Shane
Esperancelad
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Bibbulman

Postby alanoutgear » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi Esperance lad, you are right in that the final section of the Bibbulmun from Northcliffe or Walpole through to Albany is certainly the highlight of the track (in my opinion).

As far as stoves, I use gas canister stove, a Fire Maple titanium model with preheat tube so I can do liquid injection which is very efficient. You'd be able to get canisters in most towns along the track, either in hardware stores, camping shops or servos. You could use metho or shellite (white gas), but these are often slower and messier. Fuel for them would be readily available too.

You could stay in accommodation every now and then (eg Denmark Backpackers or motel), and if you do you could do food drops as most people do.

You could do the walk in softer footwear, but a lightweight boot is the best option. Shouldn't be too many snakes in late autumn or winter when you go, but the track can be wet and slippery so the support offered by a boot is good value - better with gaiters too.

As for a pack, I'm pretty tall so I've got a One Planet McMillan which is 90 litre capacity. You don't have to fill it, but if you are doing longer unsupported sections it's nice to know you have plenty of room without having to use crowbar to get everything in.

Also get in touch with the Bibbulmun Foundation to buy detailed maps, and to find out the specific answers to your questions. I've found them incredibly helpful. There are also some really great bloggers whose blogs provide fantastic descriptions of the track.
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Esperancelad » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 1:42 am

Thanks alanoutgear,

I am most likely going for a One Planet or a Macpac. I m fairly tall too but I guess I should probably get to the city and try a few on before I commit any dosh. Are you happy with the McMillan?

I was sort of planning to just load up on stores from town to town, but for these bigger trips its seems like most people do an advance trip prior to commencing the track.

Thanks for all the info mate
Shane
Esperancelad
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby alanoutgear » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 8:20 am

I love my OP McMillan. It's simple, robust, waterproof and extremely comfortable even with a big load. In the South West I take my MSR Hubba Hubba tent which is pretty light at just over 2kg, plenty of room for one and a pack, and sets up quickly. Others use Tarptents etc which are lighter, but I like the robustness of the HH fly over me in a storm.

Carrying supplies from town to town is doable, but you will need to find some places to do food drops, either in the bush in a container (make sure you've got a good GPS location though), or at a convenient place in the town. I dehydrate my own meals, and you won't be able to get dehy meals in each town you pass through so some planning on your part is required. Contact the Bibbulmun website to see if they can help with contacts as there are heaps of volunteers along the track, and they may let you drop supplies with them, or know where you can.

I haven't had to do food drops for the bits of the track I've done as I've been able to meet friends and pick up supplies from them.
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Empacitator » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 10:33 am

Hi Shane, I've noted a few of my thoughts here from when I walked the track last August, some good information by others also if you haven't read it already

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16037
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14866

If you have any specific questions just let me know
Empacitator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby InspirationOutdoors » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 1:04 pm

One Planet packs are excellent. Will last you a life time.
InspirationOutdoors
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Inspiration Outdoors

Postby Strider » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 1:16 pm

Look at Aarn packs too. I use a Guiding Light and will never go back to a traditional backpack.

http://www.aarnpacks.com/
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Esperancelad » Sun 16 Mar, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks for the posts,
Ended up getting the OP McMillan. Rang One PLanet and was told OP packs and some of their other gear is still made here in Aus. Unfortunately there are no stores in WA, so it should be in the mail.
Also got
Jetboil stove
Marmot goretex pants
OP cocoon sleeping bag
Blackdiamond lantern and head lamp
Various Australian made hiking socks
Polar fleece jacket ( wildernesswear.com.au )
Went cheap on the tent (had to save coin somewhere) but it comes in at just over 2kg
http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/vango-b ... TE-BL200-H

Also joined the bib foundation, so hopefully will be able to get a lot of info from them such as food strategy, etc etc

Nice vid Will , showed the missus to give her an idea of what I was doing. U also convinced me on the jetboil.
Still waiting on work to give me my 4 weeks notice but ironically since this hiking idea has come along I cant wait to finish up.
Cheers
Esperancelad
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Empacitator » Mon 24 Mar, 2014 11:13 am

The jetboil was great, never regretted bringing it!
I'll be interested in doing a section with you if the timing works out
Empacitator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rogo » Tue 25 Mar, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi Esperancelad. I'm on the track from Mt chance heading south late April. Maybe we will meet on the track. Track name is also Rogo. When I walk for an extended time I post food to towns, usually to my accommodation so it is waiting for me once I arrive. Saves waiting on the post office to open the next morning or arriving in a town on the weekend.This does take some co ordination at the beginning.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dougjjj » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 3:54 pm

Hey Shane,

We met at the Gardiner Campsite, I was heading north. There were a couple of fairly tall loud guys heading the same direction as you that stayed in the campsite that night.

Anyway just a quick message to see how you went on the Southern Sections. I ended up making it to Ballingup and having to pull out there as I ran out of time. I'm hoping to get back later in the year a continue on.

Doug
dougjjj
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby walk2wineries » Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:30 pm

Lived in SW for a while so I know some of the track. About 3km from Pemberton you get to the Gloucester tree; one can detour about 500m and go to the GLoucester Ridge Winery for an excellent lunch (or snack or whatever.). Seriously, on the other side, a more reasonable (6km I think) walk from Pemberton, and a short walk from Big Brook Dam (excellent camping there) is Hidden River winery; great meals and a bit more casual.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory