Bibbulmun Track end to end in spring 2019

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Bibbulmun Track end to end in spring 2019

Postby Rileyr » Fri 14 Jun, 2019 12:22 pm

I was initially only going to take a full length ebay UL alfoil one for 65g. I tried it for a couple of nights in the vic alpine region and stayed warm enough, but it wasnt overly comfy!

The z-lite is the most comfy mat I have tried so far. I reckon the z-lite for the torso will be good enough, and the alfoil for the legs just to help them warm.

Ive spent weeks on pretty average mats in the past!

I am a bit afraid to try inflatable because i am worried i wont be able to go back to CCF.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Rileyr » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 1:44 pm

Got to test out our new gear.

Mon and I tested our mats, quilts, balaclavas and jackets last night.

We ran low on funds and decided not to get expensive CF tarp and bugnet.

We got a better looking $50 bugnet on ebay but it proved too small and squishy - so back to our old faithful setup.

Sleep system results:

A cold damp night near Barrington Tops NSW.

I have the 0deg EE enigma apex.

Mon has the -6deg EE enigma apex.
(More info on gear above)

Both using the 1/2 thermarest zlite 1/2 ebay picnic mat cut down.

It was 4 degrees when we went to bed at 9pm.
Mon wore her torrid jacket and hoodlum to bed.
I just jumped into the quilt with shirt and shorts.

I was too hot and became a bit sticky.

At about middnight it was 2.5 degrees and i put on my hoodlum.

At about 6am it was just above freezing and i synched down my quilt with the button and drawcord.

At 6.30am we had a decent frost and I started to feel the cold a little but was no where near shivering.

Mon slept well and was warm all night. She is a cold sleeper and if she said she was warm then she must have been toasty!

Here are some pics of the setup

The frost and thermometer showing -0.9 degrees

Result:
I was warm in a shirt, shorts, 0deg quilt and hoodlum down to 0degrees. If I wear the torrid jacket as well I reckon I could comfortably do -5 degrees . maybe a little cold but would be fine.

For Mon, she was happy with her first night ever in a quilt and not a sleeping bag. She could go colder with the setup but might get a tad cold. Cold is standard for Mon so we think she could push her setup to -5 without too much abnormal discomfort.

The mats: mon loves the z lite and agrees its the most comfortable CCF mat we have used. Our legs stayed warm with the ebay picnic alfoil mat. So a good result there I think.

The old ebay bugnet: it has done us well for many nights - though we might look for ways to reduce its weight.

Torrid jackets. I stayed fussing around with fire wood and odd jobs outside wearing shorts, the jacket and the hoodlum after getting up. I stayed warm enough for about an hour in below freezing temp with the grass crunching under my feet. Great little jackets!

Our sleep system will be reliable for the weather predicted on the Bib with lows down to 2degrees or so. I am confident after that test that we will be warm and comfy for our trip!
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 12:16 am

Dehydrated meals for dinners arrived!

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 10:17 pm

Some instant noodles may be good, quick energy, salty liquids to replenish the body, lightweight. Also, dried fruit and nuts.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Rileyr » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 3:36 pm

Al M wrote:Some instant noodles may be good, quick energy, salty liquids to replenish the body, lightweight. Also, dried fruit and nuts.
Already on the menu :) we like a mix of instant noodles, mashed potato and freeze dried rice to go with our dehydrated meals for dinner.

We will be stopping into a town every 5-6 days so we will be posting the dinners to the post offices there. For breaky, lunch and snacks we will be buying from local grocery stores.

We didnt want to pre prepare every meal because we dont know what we will feel like eating. Hopefully it works out for us!

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 10:02 am

CHANGE OF SHELTER SETUP

Hi again all,

Mon and I have decided not to go with an A frame style bug net for this walk (as shown in previous posts).

We have decided to go with a Polycryo ground sheet, which has a larger footprint than the bug net. The polycryo sheet is just a plastic sheet. For mosquito/bug protection we will be bringing 2 single Sea to Summit Nano Mosquito Nets.

We have done a lot of reading and we dont anticipate that we will need the mosquito nets all that often on our Bib trip. We intend on only setting up the mozzie nets if the sandflies or mozzies are bad. The single mozzie nets will work well in the shelters too if we happen to decide to stay in a shelter.

This way we only have to setup the tarp, unfold the ground sheet, lay our mats and quilts down and we are ready to go. Cuts packup times as well. Also gives us much more room to move, and more freedom under the tarp - which we both love. We have both slept on the ground plenty of times without any mozzie or bug and protection and arent worried about that. If we WANT to setup the mozzie nets then we will.

Another benefit of just using a ground sheet is that we can setup the tarp lower and tighter in bad weather.

I have used the single S2S mozzie net a few times and found it a bit fiddly. Also a bit of a pain under A tarp because it always sits loose at the head end due to the fact that its meant to be pinned up directly above the net (not possible under a tarp). But it functioned well, is very light and will only be setup if really needed.

Here is a picture of the S2S bug net - note there is no floor, and that its pegged out at the corners.

s2s mozzie.jpg
s2s mozzie.jpg (51.24 KiB) Viewed 39211 times

some specs:
Sea to Summit Single Mozzie net (no pouch) is 85g. 2x = 170g
Polycryo Ground Sheet (183 x 244cm) (1.0mil thick) = 105g
Total: 275g

Old Bugnet weight: 615g

Big weight saving, flexibility of setup options, and cuts setup and packup time (without bug nets)
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 10:37 am

Emergency First Aid Kits

Along with the big items that we are carrying, I thought I would post up detailed gear lists of the smaller gear we are carrying. First up is our snake bite / emergency first aid kits. Not to be confused with our Personal First Aid Kits (bandaids and the like).

We carry a PLB for emergencies, and if we are using this kit then the PLB has been or will be activated.

This kit is simple. between us we have 2 x long compression bandages for snake bite treatment, an OPG, a suture kit and some anti histamines.

I carry an oro-pharangeal airway (spelling?) (OPG), for maintaining airway when other person is unconscious. Must be unconscious due to gag reflex. An OPG can help during resus/CPR and generally maintaining an airway.
Mon carries a suture kit for big cuts. That, and the 2 bandages should be fine for big lacerations and the kind of injuries which are likely while walking.
Bandages for snake bites, rolled ankles etc.
Anti histamines for allergic reactions eg being bitten in the throat by a bee or something ridiculous. Neither of us have any allergies that we know of.

Below are photos and detailed list of gear with weights

What I will carry:
riley emergency first aid.jpg
riley emergency first aid.jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 39211 times

emergency first aid.JPG

What Mon will carry:
Mon emergency first aid.jpg

emergency FA - Mpn.JPG

If any one has any suggestions, recommendations or advice I'm always happy to hear it :)
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 10:08 pm

When I hiked a week on the Bib some years ago in Sept around Pemberton it was cold and mosquito activity less but I noticed many people using citronella candle sticks in the huts both then and before judging from melted wax marks. The wind blows out candles so a glass casement is needed around them and I often just use a small jam bottle with lid off. Mozzie nets should address the issue but citronella candles help to keep them away rather than having to do everything under nets if needed.

Also bring some DEET based chemical insect repellent.

There is a fair bit of Ross River virus in WA with about up to 20% of bush marsupials known to carry the virus as the reservoir for human transmission via mozzies. Most people in WA contracting the virus have spent time outdoors and not preventing mozzie bites.

Although it may be different seasonally, then and now and from place to place there was significant rodent activity scurrying around to get at bags and food in the hut so people had these strung up.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sat 20 Jul, 2019 10:56 am

Al M wrote:When I hiked a week on the Bib some years ago in Sept around Pemberton it was cold and mosquito activity less but I noticed many people using citronella candle sticks in the huts both then and before judging from melted wax marks. The wind blows out candles so a glass casement is needed around them and I often just use a small jam bottle with lid off. Mozzie nets should address the issue but citronella candles help to keep them away rather than having to do everything under nets if needed.

Also bring some DEET based chemical insect repellent.

There is a fair bit of Ross River virus in WA with about up to 20% of bush marsupials known to carry the virus as the reservoir for human transmission via mozzies. Most people in WA contracting the virus have spent time outdoors and not preventing mozzie bites.

Although it may be different seasonally, then and now and from place to place there was significant rodent activity scurrying around to get at bags and food in the hut so people had these strung up.
Thanks AI M. I was considering ditching the deet, but will keep it in my pack now that you have said its needed.

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sun 11 Aug, 2019 12:27 pm

Resupplies

Our resupply plan is to send dehydrated meals for dinners only to track towns which have post offices. We will collect breaky, lunch and snack food from coles/woolies etc at each resup town we stop at. We will be resupplying 6 times along the way. We plan on 30-40km days, but this is flexible. Also, when we arrive in the towns we will charge our phones and battery pack and eat as much as possible while in town. It takes our battery pack 4hrs to charge from dead flat to 100%. We can charge both phones and battery pack all at the same time. So, our stopover times should be a maximum of 4hrs. We aren't planning on staying overnight in any of the towns at this stage - just charge, eat, resup and go!

Our resupply plan:

Take 6 dinners on the flight to Perth. Collect breaky, lunch and snacks in Perth. And then set off from Kalamunda with 6 days worth of food.

1st resup will be at Dwellingup, which will be 4 days food.

2nd resup will be at Collie, which is 2 days food.

3rd resup will be at Ballingup, which is 5 days food.

4th resup will be at Pemberton, which is 2 days food.

5th resup will be at Northcliffe, which is 5 days food.

6th resup is at Walpole, which is 6 days food.
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Thu 15 Aug, 2019 7:47 pm

Riley's Final Gear List

68323493_2360712440922784_3075803213706821632_n WRITING.jpg
68323493_2360712440922784_3075803213706821632_n WRITING.jpg (135.91 KiB) Viewed 37847 times

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 1:40 am

Howabout also:

1. small surgical scissors for cutting toe nails and bursting blisters as well as general use
2. sunnies
3. spare T shirt for sleeping in and changeouts into fresh clothes while in camp
4. plastic bag for carrying rubbish between places or storing soiled clothing
5. small thin face towel
6. eco type soap for personal and clothes washing

The watch is not needed as the mob phone does that.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 6:28 pm

A couple of comments:

My polycro ground sheet lasted one night on the rocks of the Lara Pinta. Try to place it on either grass or dirt.

I take a watch as well as my mobile phone. That allows me to turn the phone off completely overnight which saves the battery somewhat. I then find it a pain to turn the phone on and wait for it to start every time I want to check the time.

As always, YMMV and HYOH.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Rileyr » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 11:46 am

Al M wrote:Howabout also:

1. small surgical scissors for cutting toe nails and bursting blisters as well as general use
2. sunnies
3. spare T shirt for sleeping in and changeouts into fresh clothes while in camp
4. plastic bag for carrying rubbish between places or storing soiled clothing
5. small thin face towel
6. eco type soap for personal and clothes washing

The watch is not needed as the mob phone does that.
Thanks AI M

Mon will carry some nail clippers (i hate long nails haha). Bit of a luxury but hardly any weight.

We are happy enough using 1 shirt and washing them every couple of days using some water in a ziplock bag. Some might think thats gross haha

We also like wet wipes for cleaning ourselves. Just the main parts once a day. We use large ziplocks and put a days food inside as a bit of a ration, then use it as our rubbish bag after.
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 11:52 am

ChrisJHC wrote:A couple of comments:

My polycro ground sheet lasted one night on the rocks of the Lara Pinta. Try to place it on either grass or dirt.

I take a watch as well as my mobile phone. That allows me to turn the phone off completely overnight which saves the battery somewhat. I then find it a pain to turn the phone on and wait for it to start every time I want to check the time.

As always, YMMV and HYOH.
Fingers crossed our poly cryo lasts! We will have to be extra careful. And give our spare one to a family member to send if it gives out.

Yeah i like a watch (which i have cut the straps off a $4 one from kmart). I like to measure a rough distance without turning my phone on. Eg: 10km to next hut should be roughly 2 hrs

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kelvinn » Sun 01 Sep, 2019 7:06 pm

September has arrived, and you must be about to start your hike. Good luck, have fun, and please give a trip report when you get back!
kelvinn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Rileyr » Thu 12 Sep, 2019 8:38 am

On the Bibb now. Loving it!
I'll definitely write a full report when we are back.

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sat 28 Sep, 2019 1:19 pm

Finished!

What an incredible journey!

Ended up taking us 32 days with 2 rest days. 1 in collie and 1 in pemberton.

We are preparing a day by day dot point account of our hike, a general info guide / suppliment to official info and a piece by piece gear review. Hopefully that stuff will prove useful to people looking at doing the Bibb, wanting to hear a perspective on long distance hiking, methods, gear etc.

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bubbalouie » Sat 28 Sep, 2019 9:49 pm

Looking forwards to it!
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Al M » Sun 29 Sep, 2019 11:37 am

Well done, you guys must have been really moving to do it in 32 days vs the average of 6 weeks for many :lol:

The weather was good enough with coldish conditions and a big storm for a week and patches of wet and sun so will be good to hear how the gear handled it.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Thu 03 Oct, 2019 4:16 pm

E2E SOBO dot point diary. 24th of August 2019 to 24th Septmeber 2019.

Day 1 to 11. Kalamunda to Collie.

Day 1
-left Possum Creek Lodge in Gooseberry Hills at 7am
-walked to Helena campsite (2km to terminus plus 29.4km)
-Helena was a new campsite so very popular - it was almost at max capacity. But beautiful views and facilities and also on a weekend so not surprising.
- we setup our tarp on a great spot with great views.

Day 2
-left Helena earlier than the rest of camp - they were just stirring as we left at 7am
- walked to Mt Dale campsite (29.9km) and had the hut to ourselves.

Day 3
- Left Mt Dale campsite
- Walked to Monadnocks (35km). A couple of groups of hikers were using the hut so we set up our tarp.
- We had dinner down by the fire with the other hikers.

Day 4
- Monadnocks camp to Gringer (43km)
- Arrived late after a big day, maybe around 5 pm, but had the hut to ourselves.

Day 5
- Gringer Campsite to Mt Wells via Whitehorse Hills (31.5km)
- the first section was the most in scenic so far. Already hungry 1 hour in. And quite a few hills but through burnt bushland.
- spent an hour at camp in Whitehorse Hills hut. Very hot today.
- Walked the extra 14.4km to Mt Wells. Was difficult, probably after yesterday's exertion but well worth the hike - absolutely stunning outlook, a tower to get a good view from and an outdoor fire place. Would be awesome to do weekenders here if we were locals.

Day 6
- left Mt Wells with a spring in our step nice and early at 6.30. Town today! Made it to Chadoora (14.4km) in a speedy 2.45hrs. Had a half hour stop and snack (met 2 men who had a friendly chat) and left by 9.30 through burnt forest which eventually turned rainforest. We walked into town at 1.30pm, completing the 19.4km in very quick time. The walk in was beautiful - lots of bulbs and spring flowers.
- picked up food drop (which we posted our dehydtrated dinner meals), got a cabin at the caravan park. As we got the key for the cabin, it absolutely poured!! And didn't stop all Arvo...we just made it to cover!
- had dinner at the local pub - big fat steaks and chips, devine!
- did our resup shop at the local IGA, quite expensive and not much variety...

Day 7
- Slept in, sorted our gear, packed up and walked into town for breaky once the rain had dissipated
- had a delicious breaky and a half at the blue Wren cafe
- met a hiker called John and were on our way by 10.30
- more heavy rain forecasted this evening.
- made it to the first hut by 1pm so continued to Murray Camp. A total of 31km. We met with 6 very friendly older women on a trip to collie (and returned one of their hats they had dropped along the way).
- just as we all had cramped into the hut for the pending storm, another elderly traveller rocked up! We managed to fit him in...
- the storms definitely didn't disappoint!
- Riley had pulled an intercostal muscle in his back the day before and had trouble sleeping.

Day 8
-Left Murray hut very early before everyone else finished rising
-the rain had stopped but the walk was through dense bushes along the river which drenched us with last night's rain
- Riley's back was still bad so we made the decision to stay at Dookanelly and share the cabin for a couple more nights with the ladies to give him time to recover (hopefully). (19.5km)
- a well needed stop though, we were saturated (having walked through water streams earlier) and needed to dry out
- managed to get a fire going
- ladies arrived around 1pm
- just ate the rest of the day and rested

Day 9
- Riley woke up feeling good but we wanted to take it easy another day -the ladies didn't mind us staying with them again
- only a 22.3km walk to Possum springs but we took our time, left at 8am (an hour after the ladies) and got there just before 2pm.
- didn't have a big break so was starving when we arrived
- a really pretty walk and no scrub to wade through which was a nice change! Rained on us a few times still, but we were in better spirits today so not bad
- had to walk under a conveyor belt used to transport mined rocks which was interesting...
- Possum springs hut was lovely - single story platform but open on 2 of the 3 walls, good view of the stars as you're sleeping!

Day 10
- Woke nice and early today - leaving the ladies behind to double hut to Harris dam (33.6km)
- said our goodbyes and were off by 7am, not looking forward to the 'wading' we had been told about
- A fairly boring walk but feeling good after our couple of easier days
- Not much wading at all in the end! But did still get our feet wet...the weather definitely made sure our feet weren't staying dry though - it just poured all day!
- had a brief rest at Yourdamung Hut (where we got a brief 10 minute window of sunlight) then continued to Harris dam (a further 13km)
- got there at 2.30pm just in time before bother downpour - lots of time not doing much but trying to stay warm. Ate alot waiting for it to get dark.

Day 11
-Town today!
- Left Harris hut fairly early, 22km to Collie
- it had literally not stopped pouring rain all night and none of our gear dried! So had to don wet clothing...brrrr...but the prospect of hot showers and meals took the chill off!
- Again, a fairly boring walk but we were focussed on the gains ahead
- Got to Collie around 11.30, checked into CollieFields and filled up on a Macca's feed for brunch
- had a good wash and gear dryout (good space for it at the motel), went to the camping store and post office
- met Stuart (at last) and had a meal with him at the local pub up the road (after a few beers by ourselves haha..)

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Thu 03 Oct, 2019 9:15 pm

Day 12 to 20. Collie to Pemberton

Day 12
- "slept in" (7am) then had breaky at the cafe downstairs (good value!)
- did our resup shop, organised our food then had lunch downstairs again.
- we found me a singlet for the cold nights ahead then had dinner with Stuart and John at the pub (Collie)

Day 13
- got up nice and early, packed and we're in Macca's for Riley's breaky by 6.45
- started on our way by 7.20 - very frosty!!! Absolutely freezing cold walk out of town for my bare legs...
- we got to Yabberup around 11am, and as we realised we were much earlier then expected we decided to hot foot it to Mumby Pub for lunch instead of the planned dinner...we ended up marching the 12km in a record 2hrs 15min - amazing what the prospect of good food can do...
- got to Mumby Pub at 1.30pm, a very quaint little place literally in the middle of nowhere! We sat outside in the sun (they had a fantastic outdoor area) enjoying our cool beers and the warmth. Enjoyed a ripper of a feed too! Parmis and garlic bread were to die for...
- We waddled put of the pub (slightly reluctantly) and decided to get the next camp only 8km away (a beautiful walk too)
- so, in total, we did 38km but we honestly did not feel it! Probably after our 1.5 days off in Collie but the good lunch probably helped too. Got to Noggerup- hut in good time (to ourselves) to light a nice fire

Day 14
- freezing cold again this morning (fingers were ice!)
- late start leaving (around 8am) due to the cold...
- fairly boring walk to Grimwade, picked up 3L of water then went onwards so that we were 10km out of Balingup
- stayed at 'vineyard views' on guthooks - a nice outlook onto green paddocks and sheep

Day 15
- woke, dressed, packed up and set on our 10km journey to town with the prospect of a hot breaky and coffee motivating us
- 4kms out of town we hit a beautiful pine forest and river and decided to follow the road in rather then the ever-winding Bib track. The walk into Balingup was lovely! A cute little town, super clean and colourful mediaeval themed shops along the main Street.
- we beelined for the cafe, filled up on delicious hot breakies and meat pies (one of the best!) Then headed for the info centre where we met lovely Raelene who was just opening
- she insisted that we explode our packs in the warmth of the info centre, so we did (mostly) and organised our food while phones charged
- she was so lovely to us and organised us to have a local port wine tasting! We ended up taking our favourite with us in a plastic bottle for the evening...
- Balingup surprised us - alot more than had been previously insinuated by fellow walkers. A super cute pharmacy (so colourful!), an Anzac museum, a good general store (better than what we thought we'd be encountering) and the backpackers had been done up by the new posties so could've been a lovely spot to stay. I'd definitely love to come back to this charming little town...
- after refueling with more goodies from the cafe and said our final goodbyes to Raelene (with a couple of selfies and her promises to deliver beef ribs to our campsite should we say the word!) we were on our way...the track took us through a 'tree park' before leaving town which was just like a mini botanicals all with oak trees
- the track up to blackwood hut was lovely, going through some private property (farms) that were just green and rolling hills... spectacular!
- then we entered the pine forest and continued to climb steep hills before suddenly finding ourselves at the campsite - just magnificent!! And even better, we were lucky enough to have it to ourselves! Just views to die for...we couldn't believe our luck. By far our favourite camp so far...
- we washed, dried out gear then had dinner looking down into the valley. It was a still night, and clear, which added to the beauty of it all.
- Riley took me under the stars before making his proposal - a perfect place, time and we were both so elated by the perfect day, it honestly couldn't have been better!

Day 16
- left veryyy late this morning - taking photos and telling people the news...(mostly family..)
- left our lovely spot on the hill and headed towards Gregory Brook
- very steep and slippery coming down hill but lots of the lovely purple bushes everywhere! We walked through a little part of private farmland next to a nice river before battling some blackberry bushes (in favour of walking through wet slop and getting our feet wet)
- Gregory Brook was down in a small gully next to a Brook (funny that..) we had stopped for lunch earlier (it was a slowww morning doing 18km by 1.30pm) so we washed ourselves and clothes in the Brook then kept walking for another 10km
- we went through a beautiful Kari tree forest before arriving at Willow Springs which is a campground accessible by car (not an official campsite of the Bib)
- it had a water tank (almost empty), a shelter that we slept under and a toilet (all brand new May 19)

Day 17
- left eager for food at Donnely River Village
- got there around 9.30am
- had alot of food and picked up some for the road
- it was a hot afternoons walk with 2 swims in the Donnelly river to cool off (once on the way and another at Tom Rd hut), we could also smell fire so decided it would be the better option to stay in a hut where people knew we were headed instead of pushing on.

Day 18
- left Tom Rd and headed towards Boarding house (a 22.5km stretch)
- could have definitely camped at the 10km point past Tom Rd, it looked beautiful! We continued to walk beside Donnelly River the whole way until we got to the hut. Nice weather in the morning but got quite warm so had a dip in the river straight away - marvellous!
- one of the highlights has definitely been the number of swimming holes along the track...
- we also passed the half way point!
- we met a couple of ladies who assured us there were plenty of camp spots at a bridge 8km on...but when we got there is wasn't great and we decided we had the extra 10km in us so we kept going to Beavis Hut. Making it a 42km day.
- well, pretty sure that was "heartbreak hill" Stuart was telling us about that we had to climb! It was steep as...but anyway, we got to the top (posted our FB love story at the top cause we got reception!) and made it to Beavis just before the sun went down at 6pm

Day 19
-left Beavis in good time, had quite a few little up and downers all day which was tiring for the sore legs from yesterday!
-got to Beedleup hut around 12, the falls on the way we're beautiful
-its a lovely little hut with wild flowers everywhere and just next to the river! Shame we weren't staying...but we had a swim (to get rid of the stickyness from yesterday's walk and the compounding mugginess this morning!) which was glorious!
- we had lunch then begrudgingly set off again for another 16km
- it was a lovely walk this section! We saw 3 tiger snakes in the space of 3 hours though! Which totalled the days count to 4 snakes and the whole trip to 6 in just a few days...so they're on their way out of hibernation!
- met a local farmer who's property we had to walk through - lovely chat! His family had been on the property since 1907! Lovely and green too
- we got to the hut on the dam 7km outside Pemberton around 4pm - the hut wasn't great for sleeping and we would've had to scramble the banks of the dam trying to collect water...and the thought of beers so close made us quickly decide to trek the extra 7km into Pemberton
- and we went fast too! All of a sudden neither could feel our aching joints or sore feet! We found some reception and I made a phone call to secure us some accommodation at Karri Forest Motel but we had to be there by 6pm! So we literally ran some parts and walked at least 6.5km/hr the rest
- went to the Hotel/pub straight away and filled up with good food and beer. (42.5km day)

Day 20
- day off in Pemby to resup, eat, eat then sleep

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Thu 03 Oct, 2019 9:18 pm

Day 21 to 32. Pemberton to Albany

Day 21
-left our (Pemberton) motel around 6.45am to catch breaky at the Hotel (7am)
-ended up leaving Pemby around 7.30am but didn't realise we had to walk roughly the same direction as our motel to get out!
-a few KMs out of town we came across the Gloucester Tree - a very tall Karri tree with stakes inserted in the bark up its length to climb! Pretty wild really...I think it will be regulated in the future for sure!
-we then went onto Warren Hut (20km), filled up with water and kept going to try and have a swim and lunch at a bridge which never really happened...
-kept going onto Schafer hut (another 20km) and got there around 4pm
-A woman, Suzie was in the hut and doing the Munda Biddy. She had walked the Bibb E2E a couple of years earlier.
-the mozzies were ravenous - slept maybe 3 hours very uncomfortably listening to their attacking whines...head net sort of did its job but it was a very warm night and to stay in our sleeping bags meant we sweated alot! Not pleasant at all

Day 22
- eager to get up and get going away from the mozzies we left Schafer around 7.45am
- it was a beautiful 14km walk into Northcliffe - got there around 10am (record time!)
- had a big burger early lunch at the local cafe, charged our phones at the info centre (very quaint little spot), picked up our parcel at the post office (open till 12.30 on a Saturday), did our resup shop at the general store and dried out our gear.
- we found out about a diversion coming up (Lake Maringup) with changed our plans again slightly... unfortunately I didn't take this into account for my food resup so carrying too much food again
- left around 12.30 for the 15km walk to Gardner Hut
- very flat and sandy walk
- arrived at Gardner by 4pm to 2 other groups in the hut, so we tarped again
- mozzies weren't as bad as we were expecting and also we had a mozzie coil to burn - worked well!

Day 23
- left around 7.30 after speaking to the boys
- jo and Lance had left a long time before us...at least an hour beforehand
- walk was nice - mainly along sandy flat roads
- we stopped at a bridge for an hour around 9.30 to dry out all our gear from last night (tarp and groundsheet)
- we then kept following the Rd as per the diversion (Lake Maringup closed due to the water). We moved quickly!
- once we reached the end of the diversion we followed the Bib track for about 100m and decided that we didn't want to get our feet wet when there was a perfectly dry road that would take us a majority of the way to the next hut!
- so we doubled back, had lunch then set off along the road again. It really did get quite boring after a while...
- we joined back on around 9km from the camp
- we only had 2 real water crossings this day but we took our shoes off for both! Worked ok but took time..
- quite a pretty walk once back on the Bib though flat marsh woodlands
- got to camp (33ish-km) at 3.30pm to find Jo and Lance had just beaten us! They were so unsure about themselves doing a big day but they did it with no troubles :)
- had a swim in the beautiful 'pool', lit a campfire for the last time and enjoyed the company of our fellow hikers
- dog pool hut is probably my 2nd favourite hut so far

Day 24
- woke up to 2 holes in my pack and a nibble out of my wraps!! The hooks aren't great in the clay huts - often around the edges where little creatures can reach...and I didn't have the wrap breads Double zip locked so they would've smelt delicious...Riley managed to patch both holes, hopefully they hold out
- left Dog Pool at 7.15am (a bit late due to our mouse surprise) for 19.5km to Mt Chance.
- the walk was good, flat and I managed to avoid water (unlike Riley)
- the pingerup plains are quite beautiful
- got to Mt chance around 11, had some lunch and climbed the rock behind the hut for views (quite lovely!)
- I was just really really tired - all my lower body just felt sore and tired even though it wasn't a hard walk
- the next stretch to Woolbales (20.5km) was alot slower, I developed shin pain early in and the water wading was a lot more effort!
- still quite a pretty walk but painfully slow...
- got to camp around 5pm to meet Paul. He set up his tent once we arrived - he prefers the solitude (a bit like us!)

Day 25
- woke and got going early again
- going to Mt Clare today (via long point) and considered even getting to town...
- my leg was fine!
- we had more wading to do today before we got to the beach yay!! It was a beautiful and welcome sight!
- saw a strange grey snake by the beach with an apricot band in the middle...we think it was a baby dugite
- hot day today - got to Long Point Hut at 11 30 and stayed for a bit to dry our shoes out in the good hot sun. Was a lovely hut - would've been nice to stay
- probably one of the best scenery days, just beautiful coastline landscape and then forest in the afternoon climbing to Mt Clare
- Riley had a nap at the hut (was a bit tired...)
- our legs got minced by these spikey bushes on our way to Mt Clare! Scratched to buggery!
- got to Mt Clare and decided to stay (not to go into town till the morning)
- we had it to ourselves at last so we had a well needed bird bath.

Day 26
- left for town! Looking forward to our bacon egg roll and coffee awaiting...
- nice 10km walk down to Walpole, lovely scenery and big trees
- got to town at 8.30
- had breaky #2, then dropped our bags at accommodation and dis our resup, package pickup and breaky #3 at a cafe while we waited for our room to be ready
- showered, washed etc, posted stuff home, went to pub early
- had to sprint home after dinner due to the absolutely pouring rain!!! It was mental!! Felt lucky we were out in it for the night.

Day 27
- Left Walpole after a measly breakie at 8.30
- got to Frankland River Hut around 11.30 for lunch - was a shame it wasn't warm, the river was spectacular! Wouldve been a nice hut to stay in...
- kept going onto Giants Hut (in the Valley of the Giants (Tingle Trees)) but stopped in at the Giants Walk, 1km from the hut
- the Ranger let us in for free - a 650m walk along an upsidedown suspension bridge that went as high as 40m so you could see and experience the heights of the large trees!
- arrived at giants hut to meet Derek who had an interesting life of aid work.
- it was pouring all evening and night. (31km)

Day 28
- headed for peaceful bay today via Rame Head
- a nice walk through the Tingles and eventually back to the beach side
- Rame head hut had great views
- shame we weren't staying there...
- peaceful bay and the coastline beforehand were beautiful to walk along, the only thing that was becoming increasingly difficult were the ups and downs of the sand dune pathways...these were really slowing us down!
- we made peaceful bay caravan park in good time though (only a 28km day though...), by 3.30pm
- set up tarp in a secluded area out the back in a nice patch of grass then went to explore the food
- we had warm showers while waiting for our fish and chips pickup at 5pm
- had a nice evening listening to music, making a small fire and eating yummy food

Day 29
- sleep was the best so far! Sleeping on soft grass really made the difference!
- got going around 7.30 to walk the 7km to the canoe inlet crossing (Irwin Inlet)
- we just got there as two ladies were hopping out of their canoes on the other side. We had none on our side so had to wait for them to bring more across.
- took off our shoes and paddled across in 2 seperate canoes (weight limit) which was super fun and challenging due to the strong wind and rain
- once we got to the other side we then attached a canoe to each of ours and bought them across to the other shed so that we left 3 on either side
- we got going and eventually caught up to the ladies, it was a nice easy walk through green hills covered in fireweed
- we had planned to get to Boat Harbour hut for lunch but there was more sand walking than was anticipated so we stopped on some rocks for lunch instead about 8km from the hut
- we finally got to the hut around 2pm (the canoe took a bit of time that morning)
- had a small rest then kept going to Parry's inlet campground
- although only 11km away it was hard along the small ups and downs of the sandy trails and to compound things it started to pour rain
- it had been drizzling all day forcing us to stop multiple times throughout the day to put on raincoats then take them off again when the drizzle stopped and we started to sweat
- we finally got to Parry's at about 4.30pm, drenched, sandy, freezing cold and myself in not so good spirits
- thankfully we found a picnic shelter which we commandeered for the night, close by to the much needed hot showers to warm us up
- the mozzies were rife but nothing the coil couldn't handle
- to lift our morale we ate a double meal each knowing we could get more if needed.

Day 30
- town today! Denmark.
- left at 7am and found the crossing of Parry's inlet to be some of the easiest walking yet! We crossed no water and the hard compact sand made walking a dream
- we walked the 7km of beach then ascended a hill to the next hut. Quick walking - took 1.5hours to do 10km!
- we met the Life of Py (Mark) at the hut but quickly kept going, Riley certain we would make a pub lunch!
- the walk was actually turning out to be one of the best walking days, beautiful scenery, not such hard sandy hills
- we walked into the Denmark Half Marathon and were greeted by a coffee van which we happily took advantage of as we waited for the runners to subside
- only 15km to Denmark to go we kept going but with less urgency after our coffee, cake and salami lunch
- we headed up Mt Halowell for spectacular views
- got slightly lost on the way down but bushbashed back to the track where some nice German tourists waited for us
- took a wrong turn at the bottom as well, following a falsely similar marker to the Bib track woggle
- finally on the right track we followed the 5km town track (rather boring) into Denmark
- we checked into the Bluebird YHA, ate at the famous bakery, did our food resup, visited an Aboriginal art display, did washing/dried shoes then headed to the Tavern for dinner where we had an all you can eat roast dinner buffet - Riley almost died from overstuffing!
- it was a shame the rest of the track towns didn't have an IGA like Denmark - it had by far the best selection of foods which we didn't need much of since we were only planning to be on the track for a further 2 days!

Day 31
- Riley's bday!
- our lift across Wilson's Inlet was scheduled for 8am so we were up early to get a bday breaky before.
- I carried a bottle of wine (poured into a water bottle), cheese, apple pies and cream for Rileys birthday dinner.
- we stayed at Torbay hut and met more E2E'ers (Gandalf and Pixie). What is it about hikers and instant connection?
- we spent dinner alone at the table on the hill overlooking the ocean. Absolutely fantastic.

Day 32
-Walk into Albany.
-some nice track with difficult sand.
-tough road walk into Albany.
-compulsory photos at the terminus, rang the bell at the info centre and strangely it was all over.

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Fri 04 Oct, 2019 7:22 pm

Good write up and well done with 40km days and early morning starts makes a difference. Ultralight pack weight no doubt helps with efficient effort.

Will take up some of the track note suggestions for local references.

How did some of the gear choices standup, shelter and sleeping bags.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sat 05 Oct, 2019 2:24 pm

Al M wrote:Good write up and well done with 40km days and early morning starts makes a difference. Ultralight pack weight no doubt helps with efficient effort.

Will take up some of the track note suggestions for local references.

How did some of the gear choices standup, shelter and sleeping bags.

Thanks. Overall we were happy with the gear. Ill do a bit more of an in-depth review of the gear - mostly because the quilts and climashield insulation isnt greatly used in Aus yet.

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sat 05 Oct, 2019 2:26 pm

Here is some general info about the Bibbulmun track which might supplement info from official sources. Much of this is based on personal experience and should not be taken as gospel, but as some info to either start further research or supplement it. This part will not discuss specific gear and food choices. I will do another post for that :)

We did the hike from Kalamunda to Albany (north to south) between the dates of 24 August 2019 and 24 September 2019. 32 days total including 2 rest days (Collie and Pemberton).

Distance
The entire track is around 1,000km between Kalamunda (Perth) and Albany in WA. Timeframes for the hike varies greatly. Most people finish the hike between 30-55 days. Plenty of people do it faster and plenty do it slower. Its probably about what you want from the hike, physical ability, pack weight and numerous other factors.

Difficulty
It’s all relative and debatable but our experience was that 80 - 90% of the hike is quite easy without much elevation change and on well formed track. The rest is comprised of some steep ascents / descents and sand walking. The track is manageable for any one with a moderate level of fitness.

Navigation
The tracks are well formed and easy to follow. The track markers are usually well placed. Some care does need to be taken when turning off 4X4 tracks.
We used Guthooks (phone app) to navigate and that worked flawlessly. With flight mode on and battery saver we used about 10% battery per day navigating and checking progress.
Distances vary between the maps, the Bibb internet page “distance calculator” and Guthooks guide. The distances written in this post is from Guthooks.

Re-routes
There are often re-routes due to fires or floods. We were rerouted around Lake Maringup which was flooded. This is a common reroute. Other re-routes can be made due to bushfires or planned back burning. Also, there are alternate routes to avoid some of the inlet crossings if they are impassable (primarily Parry Inlet). All reroutes were very clearly marked, and there was good info on the Bibbulmun Track facebook pages.

Weather
Best times to complete the track may be late winter and early spring. This is to avoid the cold weather of winter, the hot weather in summer, ensure adequate water and mitigate risk of snakes and bushfire. Plenty of hikers are on track before and after the times we hiked. It is not recommended to be on trail in Summer.
Our experience was that we had less than 10 days of rain out of 30, though did get drenched for days coming into Collie! Cold night temps in late Aug (just above freezing) in northern sections. Daytime averages between 15 and 25 the whole track. Windy cold and drissly wet in the southern sections, with hot sunny days inbetween the wet and cold.
We would say plan for night temps of 0°c, day temps of 15-25 any anything from sleet and rain to hot and sunny.

Huts / shelters
There are approximately 60 huts along the track which are spaced between 8km and 20+km apart. Generally, the northern sections have huts spaced quite close together, whereas the middle and southern sections have huts spaced further apart.
The huts were fantastic!
Initially we did not plan on using the huts too much, but we ended up using them a lot! The huts are 3 sided shelters with a raised sleeping area with picnic tables.
Most huts also allow fires and supply a fire pit. The huts closer to Albany don’t allow fires all year round.
We used the huts probably around 20 times and usually had them to ourselves.
We shared the huts with other hikers 5 times, and that was usually when there was heavy rain or when forecasted.
Its great having space to dry out wet items and to prepare food when raining.
Each hut provides a rain water tank and a drop toilet (all of which in good condition). We only filtered the tank water for the first few days. Many hikers opt not to treat the tank water, but many do. Its a personal choice.

Towns / resupplies
There are 7 towns along the track (excluding the terminus towns). All towns have accommodation, usually a caravan park, hotel and backpackers. All also have supermarkets of varying size to resupply at and post offices. Gas was easy to find at all towns and often sold at info centres as well.
Our resupply plan was to post commercial dehydrated meals for dinner to the post offices and buy breaky, lunch and snacks from local stores. This worked well. The info centres also accept packages if you contact them. This allows pickup on weekends.
We did find a lot of “Backcountry" dehydrated meals at shops and info centres.

Heading north to south (from Kalamunda to Albany) the first town you hit is Dwellingup which is about 200km from Kalamunda. Has a small IGA, accommodation and the BEST pub meals on the track! A great cafe too!
The second town is Collie which is at approx kilometre 320. The biggest town on track, has a smallish outdoors shop, coles, woolies and the famous Collie Fields accommodation.
The third town is Balingup at approx km 400. One of our favourite towns on the track! The backpackers has recently been renovated and have been told its spick and span! Raelean from the info centre is a very passionate and helpful Bibb supporter and is very active on the Facebook pages. Balingup has a small General Store, but is adequate for resupply to get you through.
The fourth town is Pemberton at approx km 560. A larger town with good accom, big IGA and plenty of food options.
The fifth town is Northcliffe at approx km 610. A decent General Store to resupply. We did not stay at Northcliffe as we has heard that many hikers decide to quickly pass through.
The sixth town is Walpole at approx km 750. A bigger town with plenty of resupply, food and accom options.
The seventh town is Denmark at approx km 870. Another one of our favourite towns! All you need with great food options.

Camping/ tenting
There are campsites to erect a tent or personal shelter around the huts. A tent or shelter is not a necessity unless caught in the unlikely circumstance of the hut being full. Personally, we used our tarp to have some more privacy rather than sharing huts.

remoteness / access
All the huts have 4x4 access usually with a locked gate 1 or 2 km away. The track often runs close to 4x4 access or roads. Vehicle noise if often heard, motorbikes often use the trail or trails closeby. There is patchy reception along the trail with Telstra. Generally, you are never too far from civilisation and help if needed.

Snakes
Snakes are common on the trail from Spring. Tiger snakes and Dugites (a less aggressive version of the eastern brown) are the 2 main snakes encountered. The snakes often use the trail to get some sun. They are generally afraid of humans and move off when they hear you approaching. People do get bitten on trail and have had to be evacuated by helicopter. Snakes are especially prevalent in the Southern half of the track. Gaiters can help mitigate the risk, but envenomation can still and has occurred even with their use. We recommend doing some reading on mitigating snake bite risk, being confident with first aid, carrying a snake bite kit and an emergency beacon of some sort.

Other hikers
Our experience was that we would usually see 1 or more hikers per day. Approx 10 of the 30 nights on trail we stayed with or camped near other hikers. We enjoyed chatting to the other hikers and met some really great people along the way!
Other hikers who travelled at a slower pace often did not see people for days, whilst others shared huts with the same people for long stretches. It just depended on your speed and who else was around.

Inlet crossings
There are a few inlet crossings in the Southern sections of the track. Check the official site, the Facebook pages or contact parks and wildlife for more info.
Irwin inlet is crossed using canoes which are provided. Great fun!
Parry inlet may need to be crossed at low tide, but can be crossed anytime if conditions are right.
Wilson inlet is now driven around from Denmark to near Nullaki camp. The owner of YHA and hotels will often offer the service for $50. The alternative is to walk 25+km on the highway (not part of the bibb). Others can skip Denmark and cross over the inlet close to the ocean (if conditions are right) but this also is not part of the Bibb.
Torbay Inlet is usually not an issue to cross but heavy rain and a high tide might complicate things.

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby weeds » Sun 06 Oct, 2019 8:08 am

Thanks for the detailed write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby bigkev » Sun 06 Oct, 2019 2:58 pm

Thanks for the great report Rileyr, very interesting - it's another walk on my ever growing must do list.

Congrats on the proposal too :D
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bunzmc » Sat 12 Oct, 2019 5:22 pm

How did you guys find the EE quilts? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a down EE Revelation quilt.
bunzmc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Rileyr » Sat 12 Oct, 2019 7:17 pm

bunzmc wrote:How did you guys find the EE quilts? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a down EE Revelation quilt.
In short we loved them.
Especially the apex insulation

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory