Cape to Cape water

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cape to Cape water

Postby bigkev » Sun 22 Dec, 2019 10:29 pm

Hi Guys,

I've just finished the Cape to Cape yesterday 21/12/19 and I thought that I'd give people a heads up regarding the water situation incase anyone is walking over Christmas.

All the tanks at the official camps had water when I went through. I have trouble working out exactly how full those polly tanks are using the sonar method so I can't really say with much accuracy how much was in them.

Quininup and Biljedup Brooks both had very light flows. The water from the cave at Ellensbrook is flowing well (and probably doesn't need treating).

All in all I had a great stroll, although it was baking hot at times. I'll put a link to a decent trip report (with photos) up when I get around to writing it up in a month or two.

Cheers
Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Cape to Cape water

Postby Wollemi » Mon 20 Jan, 2020 6:39 pm

Just looking at posts for reading enjoyment, and after reading a couple about South Australia's Kangaroo Island, started reading this thread, still thinking it pertained to Kangaroo Island - until I saw place names ending in 'up'.
Maybe it is time for the owner of this website to give SA/WA/NT their own sections?
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby bigkev » Wed 01 Apr, 2020 5:57 pm

I finally finished writing up my Cape to Cape trip report for my blog - I'll stick a link in below.

I walked the C2C in mid December as Perth was going through a week of 40˚ temperatures. The warm weather meant that I stayed for 3 of my 6 nights in accommodation, camping on the other 3 nights. I really enjoyed my C2C walk, the beaches over in WA are absolutely stunning and I never got sick of looking and photographing them, although walking on them can be a little tough sometimes particularly if its super hot. While the C2C isn't a hardcore wilderness stye of walk I thought the diversity of the walking added to the character of the stroll.

Anyway, while we are all sitting at home dreaming of walking as we wait for this virus emergency to be over then here's the link for some light reading, click on the first post and page forward from there.

https://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot ... -cape.html
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GregR » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 3:19 pm

Another great write up Kev.

Seems to be too high a percentage of beach walking for me tho.

Still I'll have a look at some sections when I get over there in the next 12 months.
GregR
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby bigkev » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 4:32 pm

Cheers Greg.

Yes, there is a lot of beach walking however most of the beaches are drop dead gorgeous.

See if you can get your hands on the book published by the friends of the Cape to Cape, the book is called 'Walking in Circles' (or something similar). The book features a series of day walks along the length of the C2C. There is a nice walk along the cliffs north of Contos that is worth checking out I think.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GregR » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 4:35 pm

bigkev wrote:Cheers Greg.

Yes, there is a lot of beach walking however most of the beaches are drop dead gorgeous.

See if you can get your hands on the book published by the friends of the Cape to Cape, the book is called 'Walking in Circles' (or something similar). The book features a series of day walks along the length of the C2C. There is a nice walk along the cliffs north of Contos that is worth checking out I think.

Thanks Kev.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my October Rowley Shoals dive trip is still going ahead, then I can start to plan some exploration of the SW corner for afters.
GregR

Postby bigkev » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 4:48 pm

Rowley Shoals - I'd have my fingers crossed too! That'll be awesome if it goes ahead.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 5:14 pm

GregR wrote:I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my October Rowley Shoals dive trip is still going ahead, then I can start to plan some exploration of the SW corner for afters.

Jealous as hell here. One of the places I always wanted to dive but never could organise it. Hope you make it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby GregR » Fri 03 Apr, 2020 5:22 pm

north-north-west wrote:
GregR wrote:I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my October Rowley Shoals dive trip is still going ahead, then I can start to plan some exploration of the SW corner for afters.

Jealous as hell here. One of the places I always wanted to dive but never could organise it. Hope you make it.

Thanks Gnaw, I'll keep you informed. I had to bail out on diving Lord Howe last month because it originally clashed with my Nepal trip. (and then didn't!!) Grrr
GregR

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory