Larapinta suggestions (food & equipment)

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Larapinta suggestions (food & equipment)

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 19 Apr, 2021 9:40 am

Eremophila wrote:4. A small bar of soap will be ample. Motel soap, again cut in half or half used.

The only places you’re likely to be showering are all food drop locations. So you could leave extra toiletries/larger towel in your food drop box, if you’re doing one.

Or a small bottle of liquid soap, also from a motel.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Eremophila » Mon 19 Apr, 2021 12:25 pm

One other thing: after the recent rains, the seeding grasses are out in full force. This means two things - the mice will breed up in the next few months, and spare socks may be a good idea if you're not using gaiters.

It's lovely and green there at the moment so hopefully you will still get some nice wildflowers in a few months' time.
Eremophila

Postby gbagua » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 11:59 am

All noted, Eremophila. Thanks:)

Not just mice, fingers crossed is not spinifex!!

Trying to find the lightest and cheapest towel online.

Maybe this one is light enough (and less bulky):

https://bit.ly/2Qcc3yA
gbagua

Region: Queensland

Postby Eremophila » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 12:59 pm

Spotlight have some for $5: https://www.spotlightstores.com/bath/to ... gIoHfD_BwE

Or there’s this at only 16 grams: https://www.bcf.com.au/p/outrak-hiking- ... lsrc=aw.ds

You’ll air dry pretty quickly up there anyway!
Eremophila

Postby gbagua » Thu 22 Apr, 2021 9:49 am

Sweet. I'll check them out in person. Thanks :)
gbagua

Region: Queensland

Postby Overlandman » Tue 12 Apr, 2022 4:51 pm

From ABC news

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-12/ ... /100985042

Authorities have warned hikers to be prepared for hot weather in Central Australia after a 22-year-old man died and two different groups of people required assistance for heat stress within a week.
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Aushiker » Tue 12 Apr, 2022 11:57 pm

Overlandman wrote:From ABC news

Authorities have warned hikers to be prepared for hot weather in Central Australia after a 22-year-old man died and two different groups of people required assistance for heat stress within a week.

22 years old. That is so sad :(
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby Eremophila » Wed 13 Apr, 2022 7:32 am

Holy moly. I wonder if he was just starting out or almost finished.

As for the group suffering dehydration near Euro Ridge………..??? What is it, 13km between town and Wallaby Gap, with water at both ends.

It’s not just the heat, but the dryness of the climate. If you’re not used to it, it will really knock you around.
Eremophila

Postby Warin » Wed 13 Apr, 2022 9:38 am

Overlandman wrote:From ABC news

From the news article:
"Communication is really, really important," "Make sure that you've got a [satellite] phone and that you're able to contact someone." St John Ambulance NT operations manager Craig Garraway said.

:? No mention of other communication devices... possibly left out by the press.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby KevH » Fri 28 Apr, 2023 2:00 pm

Larapinta Trail.

Completed in early September over 9 days including Mount Sonder. Direction Alice Springs to Redbank Gorge (Mount Sonder)

Personal info – 41 year old male. Relatively fit. Do a variety of exercise to keep fit running, weights, surfing. Think one advantage is weight training once or twice a week as it makes carrying a pack easier and keeps your legs strong.
Basics – squats, deadlifts overhead press and chin-ups.

In hindsight and during the hike this was to much volume in too few days. 12 / 13 days would have been ideal. Having to double up on 2/3 sections in the middle was pretty arduous and meant we could not enjoy Standley Chasm or Ormiston Gorge as much as we would have liked. But family commitments prevented further time.

Gear:

1. ASIC trail hiking shoes (Asics Gel Sonoma 6) – in my opinion these were awesome. I met so many people who wore boots and had substantial feet problems. The rocky terrain is quite unforgiving and unrelenting. As an example my hiking partner had both soles of his boots delaminate on about day 6. Each morning we would tape together with gaffer tape and fishing line. However, I understand that boots v trail hiking shoes are an individual choice.
2. 3 Ful Gear Backpack – performed well.
3. Decathlon sleeping pad – ok. Comfort was average but still adequate to get a good nights sleep.
4. Bivy – Terra-Rossa Gear. Performed well as required. Please note the time I was there no issue with flies or mosquitos at all.
5. Tarp – used one night when it was raining.

Learnings.

a. Pack weight keep as light as possible. First few days carried to much food and water. Everyone is different but I worked out between 3-4 litres of water per day was adequate for me.
b. ASIC shoes were a massive plus. Bottom of feet got a tiny bit sore but zero blisters or other issues + light.
c. Mice can be a problem during the night in the shelters. Ensure your food is hung appropriately. Just hanging on the ropes is not sufficient. I think there is a post somewhere on here about stringing rope and having bottles either side of the food – awesome idea.
d. Sleeping mixture of shelters or out in the open depending on the location. My arrangements depended on the night some nights I used the Bivy other nights I just slept on my mat. One night slept under the tarp when it was raining. This setup worked really well. A highlight was the stars at night – volume of stars, shooting stars and even satellites – which was one big advantage of sleeping in a a bivy or just on a mat.
e. Sleeping Bag minus 5 temp was fine. I did sleep in thermals on some nights. I was sleeping in the open however. Utilised a beany every night and jacket as a wind break depending on direction of the wind.
f. Food drops and pickup from Redbank Gorge. – Outback Elite Tours – highly recommended.
g. Clothing shorts for hiking. Another pair for swimming. 2 pure wool t-shirts. Cashmere jumper and a vest. 3 pairs of socks which I rotated / washed. This worked out well and I was comfortable.

Overall one of the most awesome hikes I’ve done. Scenery is amazing, met some cool people along the way but not to many!! Its arduous in places but the variety is amazing sun, stars, moon, waterfalls, swimming holes, mountains, flora etc.

Only thing I would change is length of time take 12 /13 days so you can have a chill out day.
KevH
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Warin » Sat 29 Apr, 2023 2:15 pm

KevH wrote:Overall one of the most awesome hikes I’ve done. Scenery is amazing, met some cool people along the way but not to many!! Its arduous in places but the variety is amazing sun, stars, moon, waterfalls, swimming holes, mountains, flora etc.

Only thing I would change is length of time take 12 /13 days so you can have a chill out day.

Thanks for the report.

For those of us with less time constraints .. some have taken a 'leisurely' 28 days and enjoyed it. That does mean taking more food.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory