Lavender Federation Trail

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lavender Federation Trail

Postby coober » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 11:57 am

Hello, just wondering if anyone here has walked the LFD end to end South to North. I would be very pleased to hear from you.
Cheers David
coober
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Re: Lavender Federation Trail

Postby Eremophila » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 7:00 pm

Hi Coober,
A forum member by the name of roxyadelaide has completed the LFT, you could try sending a PM to her. She did mention there is 2-3 hours of road walking each day.
Have you read the trip report on LFT’s website, I think it was 3 older gents who did the end to end walk. It’s delightful reading and informative as regards camping and accommodation.
Edit: you can’t send a PM until you have posted a few times.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby oysters » Fri 16 Apr, 2021 10:44 am

Jordan Bang set a South to North FKT of it, he has a write up here:
https://sketchyrunner.com.au/index.php/2018/11/20/399/
https://fastestknowntime.com/route/lave ... -australia

I've got all the maps on me at the moment as I'm considering doing it during my annual leave in July. I know people who have done parts, or organised overnight hikes for Scouts to do on sections. There aren't a lot of camping options unfortunately, or even accomodation really. I think if you are doing it in one hit stealth camping is going to have to happen. Going over the satellite imagery, and having been through many parts of it over the years, there are going to be times when there's lots of very open country. A decent bivy bag might help with that. Water carries (from non-natural sources at least) might be quite long. Any natural water you'd probably want to treat/filter well as it will almost all be agricultural land.
oysters
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby coober » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 2:16 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Eremophilia,I have read all the reports on LFT web site, found it to be very helpful. Oyster, water may be a problem but many have gone before, so I assume there will be water along the track.
Cheers David
coober
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Eremophila » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 8:57 pm

Hi again Coober, would love to see a trip report if/when you do the walk or part thereof.
I’m familiar with the region and realise there’s a lot of “nothing “. However the historical aspect is very interesting to me and the landscape has its own particular appeal.
Eremophila

Region: Victoria

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory