Investigator Trail experiences sought

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Investigator Trail experiences sought

Postby Pink Cap » Tue 27 Apr, 2021 6:24 pm

I’ve posted about this elsewhere on this forum, but I’m seeking other people's experiences on the Investigator Trail off Port Lincoln. I’m planning to fly to PL and then take the Parnkalla Trail to the Port Lincoln National Park entrance then do the Investigator loops of about 90 kms and somehow get back to town afterwards.
I have found exactly one, just one, report about this trail on this forum which dates from 2015. It’s very good and useful but the walker did it with daily car support and I’m planning to do this unsupported. I also found a report on Reddit but that walker had a car and did water stashes. This trail has been around for years so surely a bunch of people must have walked it.
My principal concern is the availability of water in the National Park - when I contacted the park ranger who is in PL she gave me the line about them not being able to guarantee there will be water in the tanks, which, while meaning I will not sue them if there is no water when I get there, was not helpful. I feel sure that someone must have been into the park recently and would know if the tanks have water. Or if they are always bone dry. Or if there are plenty of grey nomads around with their 100 litre water tanks in their caravans.
My other query is about the Parnkalla - I can’t see it on the map and again there are no reports about it. I’d like to know if it really leads from PL to the National Park or if it was just something that was planned to be created.
Has anyone been there? Or, maybe, is is not worth going and that is why there is nothing to read about it?
Appreciate some info.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Re: Investigator Trail experiences sought

Postby Eremophila » Tue 27 Apr, 2021 7:53 pm

Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Pink Cap » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 7:26 am

Thanks for that :) I had seen this post from the guy who has done the first part (14km) of the Parnkalla, and I am still curious what happens beyond the town in the National park direction, whether the trail exists, or if it was just an idea in someone’s head.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Eremophila » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 9:10 am

If the rangers are similarly non-committal when you arrive, it might be worth hiring a car for 1/2 day and doing a recce.
Eremophila

Postby Pink Cap » Mon 12 Jul, 2021 5:13 pm

I have been to Port Lincoln and I had three days to do some of the Investigator Trail. I made a loop of the eastern part, walking 75 kms over the three days in June. I started from the park entrance, walked to Pillie Lake and crossed to Taylor’s Landing, then followed the coast around via September Beach, Cape Donnington, Surfleet Cove, Stamford Hill, Woodcutters Bay and back to the entrance. I got to and from the park by taxi - very straightforward and inexpensive although I had the impression taxis do not often get asked to go there. There was water in every tank I saw but I did not see many tanks. Being winter this was not a problem. I barely saw anyone. I would definitely recommend the loop I did for beautiful beaches and lovely coastal bush.

I saw, but did not walk on, the Parnkalla Trail from the town to the national park, which is largely alongside the road and goes through some industrial areas. It would be ok to walk but not wildly interesting.

I have blogged about my visit here: https://pinkcapadventures.blogspot.com/ ... ralia.html
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Eremophila » Mon 12 Jul, 2021 8:31 pm

You’re not having a lot of luck with the seaweed!!

Thanks for the report- sounds as though the walking trail is perhaps a little under-promoted and underestimated by locals.
Eremophila

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory