Larapinta mice numbers

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Larapinta mice numbers

Postby Oxylobium » Sun 16 May, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi all,

We're heading off on the Larapinta trail in a couple of weeks. Our house looks like Scott of the Antarctic has come to stay as we go through gear inventories, food prep and all the other bits and bobs we have to do before we go. To be honest I love the planning as much as the walking, tragic.

I've had my eye on the conditions on the trail over the last few months and it looks like conditions could be right for mice to potentially be a problem. We have a pretty tight food schedule, losing anything could push us into abandonment territory pretty quickly at any point along the way.

So despite everything else having been planned to within an inch and gram of its life, the critter factor is the one thing I'm turning my mind to.

One of our strategies we're thinking of lessening the chance of encountering mice, if they are a problem, is to camp outside of official and designated campsites as much as possible. Just walk another hour or two past the official camps and set up wherever looks appropriate. It makes sense that the mice will be in larger numbers around official campsites to us.

I've hung food bags and my pack in trees around camp always, but I've never contended with mice in the past at all. What lengths have any of you gone to avoid mice pilfering your food and what things have worked?
Oxylobium
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Larapinta mice numbers

Postby north-north-west » Sun 16 May, 2021 6:42 pm

I've always worked to the theory that if they can't smell it, they won't try to get at it. Sealed bags inside sealed bags inside a closed pack, with smelly socks on top.
So far, so good.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Oxylobium » Sun 16 May, 2021 6:57 pm

north-north-west wrote:I've always worked to the theory that if they can't smell it, they won't try to get at it. Sealed bags inside sealed bags inside a closed pack, with smelly socks on top.
So far, so good.

The diversion strategy. Working smarter, not harder. I like it.
Oxylobium
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ZerO59 » Thu 03 Jun, 2021 11:08 am

Did a 25day solo sea kayaking trip in SE Alaska in late ‘90s & used a similar “tripe layer” storage strategy to avoid visits from any bears etc. All food, mostly dehydrated, & toothpaste, sunscreen etc was sealed in ziplock bags, then in closed drybags, & finally stored inside sealed hatch of plastic seakayak. Also most camps were pristine wilderness, so no previous exposure to humans & their sloppy habits & enticing smells. If critters can’t smell it, & importantly are not habituated to accessing human food, they probably will be less attracted. So store food very securely & keep a clean & pristine kitchen & campsite. LEAVE NO TRACE INC WASTE OF ALL KINDS!

Did have a critter chew a 50c sized hole thru top packet of a brand new pack once. It completed devoured an entire muesli bar, leaving only small bits of wrapper. This happened at a heavily used Sth Coast track campsite after about 7-8 nights in much less frequently used camps (without critter visits) while walking the 10 day Precipitous Buff - New R Lagoon - SthCst track route.

Like the “smelly socks on top” strategy.
ZerO59
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Eremophila » Thu 03 Jun, 2021 11:23 am

If the campsite includes a shelter, there will be a large rodent-proof cupboard where you can stash your gear.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Equivocator » Fri 04 Jun, 2021 2:15 pm

I used the Food Cupboard when I stayed at the shelters and slept with it in my tent when I didn't. Neither seemed to have issues with rodents.
Equivocator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory