11 Days Larapinta: Standley Chasm => Redbank Gorge

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

11 Days Larapinta: Standley Chasm => Redbank Gorge

Postby bongoman » Mon 31 May, 2021 11:25 am

I'm looking to take 11 days to get from Standley Chasm to Redbank Gorge, that is Sections 4 -12 of the Larapinta Trail.

If I were to follow the suggestions here: https://nt.gov.au/leisure/parks-reserve ... inta-trail
they recommend that sections 4,5,6, 9 & 11 be done in two days each which would mean taking 12-13 days to do stages 4 - 12.

So obviously I need to do some of these 2 day stages in 1 day — any thoughts on which stages out of 4,5,6, 9 and/or 11 following would be best done in one day?

How best to approach Standley Chasm to Redbank Gorge with a day to Mt Sonder and return, in 11 days total walking time?

Many thanks
bongoman
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: 11 Days Larapinta: Standley Chasm => Redbank Gorge

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 31 May, 2021 5:35 pm

It took me 8 days to get from Standley Chasm to Redbank Gorge. Day 9 was Mt Sonder for sunrise then a morning transfer back to Alice.

Longest day was 31km (Hugh Gorge Junction to Ellery Creek). The rest were all around 20km.

A couple of dry camps at Counts Point and Waterfall Gorge. The rest were at trailheads.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby bongoman » Tue 01 Jun, 2021 7:08 am

Thanks! That's helpful — sounds like I can set my own stages and ignore the recommended pacing. I'm aiming for a rest day maybe at Ormiston. I'll probably aim to avoid the main camp sites as I expect them to be very busy this season.
bongoman
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 Jun, 2021 3:13 pm

There are heaps of places to camp apart from the official sites. Just make sure you load up with water at every opportunity.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Ndevr » Tue 01 Jun, 2021 6:53 pm

north-north-west wrote:There are heaps of places to camp apart from the official sites. Just make sure you load up with water at every opportunity.

Couldn't agree with NNW more.
My experience was signifcantly enhanced by only camping at 3 designated section campsites, over the full trail of 12 nights; being Redbank, Ormiston & Hugh.
As NNW states, you just need to carry some extra water at times, but well worth it, to fully immerse in the experience. Camping up high is spectacular.
But each to their own, some prefer to have the facilities where they camp, and have fellow bushwalkers to converse with, that's cool to, personal preference.
Either way you're going to have a blast!

Ndevr
Ndevr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Equivocator » Fri 04 Jun, 2021 2:18 pm

I did the entire Trail in 12 days (first and last were 1/2 days) so it's definitely possible.

Echoing the other comments that there are plenty of good places to camp.
Equivocator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 14 Jun, 2021 5:17 pm

How did you find the 12 days Equivocator? I am doing Larapinta next year and historically I walk most of the daylight hours as you can only lay about and read so much once you stop for the day when you are solo- I don't want to rush and miss anything in the experience though, so planning that happy place of enough kms for me vs. really being immersed in the whole experience is a balancing act.

I have decided to walk E2W as if I were walking back to Alice, I may just punch out more kms then intended and finish early, having a date at Redbank for pick up will mean I *have* to slow down and stick to plan.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12:09 pm

I took 12 days and it’s pretty comfortable.
Just doesn’t allow much time for side trips.
And no rest days.

I also like to walk most of the day and spend less time at camp.

Strongly recommend you don’t try “one section a day” as you’ll miss out on some great, isolated camp sites.

And one tip for calculating how much water you need for dry camp sites: you only need enough water to get you through the night and to the next water tank (plus a reserve of course). Many people carry way too much water for the dry camps. By the time you hit your first dry camp you’ll probably be a couple of days into the walk so you’ll have a good idea of how much water you need, particularly in the early (cool) hours.
ChrisJHC

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 17 Jun, 2021 10:16 am

Thanks ChrisJHC. Your reply was very helpful. I am not a speed racer, but just don't need to or want to spend loads of time in camp, rather be on the move. I don't sit still well at home either, I am happiest if I am doing something- in this case, walking.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 17 Jun, 2021 11:54 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Thanks ChrisJHC. Your reply was very helpful. I am not a speed racer, but just don't need to or want to spend loads of time in camp, rather be on the move. I don't sit still well at home either, I am happiest if I am doing something- in this case, walking.
PM sent
ChrisJHC

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 28 Aug, 2021 5:35 pm

Just sitting at home, as all of my state currently is and thought- why not walk the Larapinta Alice Springs- Mt Sonder-Alice Springs? Madness?
I was tossing up doing Bibbulmun next year too, but the travel involved is huge and thought while in the NT, why not walk my a$#e out and back? Plenty of people say that Larapinta is a trail they would like to walk again....so why not do it while there?
For those of you who have walked it, would this just not make any sense, or be something you would consider.

Thanks so much to the forum members who have helped me so much with my planning already, much appreciated.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 28 Aug, 2021 9:10 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Just sitting at home, as all of my state currently is and thought- why not walk the Larapinta Alice Springs- Mt Sonder-Alice Springs? Madness?

For those of you who have walked it, would this just not make any sense, or be something you would consider.

I walked back from Redbank to Glen Helen, duplicated the Telegraph to Simpsons stretch, and have contemplated going out and back next time I do it as I won't be doing all the sidetrips. In fact, with all the sidetrips and doubling back, I walked close to twice the length of the full track anyway. It''s a good track, well marked, easy to knock out the kms if you just keep ambling on for long enough each day. It can also depend on how much the heat affects you.
It does give the option of camping at different places, so you see how the changes of light affect the area. And on the return trip you have the advantage of knowing where the awkward bits are, what the water sources are like away from the tanks, and where it's possible to bung a tent at the end of the day.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 28 Aug, 2021 10:19 pm

Thanks, NNW.
Seems like you racked up the kms on the trail. The fact you are thinking about doing it again, affirms what I had been feeling from reading others experiences- it is a special experience. I hadn't thought about staying at different points on the way back, but really like that idea.

The booking system for next year goes live later this year, so am fine tuning my plans ready for that. I expect bookings to be tight given how many 2020/21 walkers would be waiting to reschedule.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 30 Aug, 2021 10:29 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:…snip…
The booking system for next year goes live later this year, so am fine tuning my plans ready for that. I expect bookings to be tight given how many 2020/21 walkers would be waiting to reschedule.

I wouldn’t bother during the “peak” period of mid-June to end of July next year. Even if you can get bookings it is likely to be crazy out there.

Also, if you do get a booking, I’d strongly recommend booking your transport / food drop provided (if you’re using one) immediately as well.
ChrisJHC

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 30 Aug, 2021 9:10 pm

Yes this is my concern and why I need to have a few screens open for when the booking craziness starts.
I don't mind seeing/passing people, but am concerned about just how many people there will be. As much of a PITA the new system will be, perhaps it might stop the hordes that may otherwise descend upon the trail next year? Hopefully. Maybe. Probably not :-(
I am poised ready to book food drops with LTTS if I can get bookings as planned. My husband and his friend are riding their motorcycles to meet me at the end of my trip, so I am kinda locked in with my dates and indeed the plan to walk Larapinta.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory