Bringing home dehydrated meals into WA

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bringing home dehydrated meals into WA

Postby adg » Sat 12 Jun, 2021 2:16 pm

Not sure if this has already been asked of the brains trust, but my Google-fu is failing me :( .

Planning to to hike (at least some parts of) the Bibbulmun later this year - COVID restrictions permitting. For this sort of trip, I'd normally take some homemade meals that I've made in advance and dehydrated. But, when I look at the WA quarantine FAQs (https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/exporting-animals/quarantine-frequently-asked-questions), I'm now wondering if they'd get confiscated.

Can anyone share any war stories? Is posting re-supply boxes from Vic better/worse than carrying in on flight, then posting from Perth?

Or should I just give up now and buy commercial freeze-dry/Strive meals?
adg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Bringing home dehydrated meals into WA

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 6:59 pm

I suggest contacting the WA Department of Primary Industry and Regional Development. If you can come to an agreement your food has been dried to a commercial standard they may allow you to take the food into WA. I dried eggs last year and had them tested. they were well within the standard. I dried them for longer than was advised in the drier instruction manual.

Another possibility is vacuum sealing. This creates a good impression of a high standard.

Freeze dry is nice but bulky, expensive and low on energy.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby andrewp » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 9:54 pm

Our group took dehydrated meals in 2009 without any problem. I don't remember it being inspected.

Your referenced FAQ clearly states cooked food is OK.

9. Can I bring cooked food and/or tinned food in?

Yes, all cooked food and/or tinned food is allowed entry into WA.

We also bought in dehydrated fruit that was certainly as dry as commercial products.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby adg » Wed 16 Jun, 2021 9:02 am

Thanks folks - much appreciated.

I did send an enquiry to Quarantine WA, but the wheels of govt, blah, blah, blah...

Anyway they did respond, and confirmed that pre-cooking is the key thing. Vacuum sealing isn't necessary, although I might just get a vacuum sealer anyway, coz they look like fun!

edit: Although not totally relevant, they did also link to https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/exporting-western-australia/quarantine-information-private-travellers, which gives a bit more detail on what the inspectors are looking for.
adg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 16 Jun, 2021 12:16 pm

Consider taking a printed copy of the Quarantine WA advice with you. Also, a list of the food, showing that it has been cooked would show that you are genuine. A table with columns Food .. After cooking weight .. after drying weight will make it clear. My meals are often mixtures of store and home-dried ingredients, so maybe list the store ones as well. Not all the meals, just a few to show that it's okay. Vacuum sealers may be obtained second-hand, costs a lot less than new.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby steadyed11 » Thu 17 Mar, 2022 9:28 am

Hiking the Bibb E2E Oct-Sept. Coming from the states I would love to bring in my leftover freeze dried backpacking meals still sealed and within expiration (10 Mountain House, 10 AlpineAire). What’s the chances they’ll get in and not binned? Thanks, Greg
steadyed11
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Appalachian Trail Club
Region: Other Country

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 18 Mar, 2022 10:17 am

steadyed11 wrote:Hiking the Bibb E2E Oct-Sept. Coming from the states I would love to bring in my leftover freeze dried backpacking meals still sealed and within expiration (10 Mountain House, 10 AlpineAire). What’s the chances they’ll get in and not binned? Thanks, Greg
If they’re commercially prepared and sealed, you’ll have no problems.

Do declare them but once the inspectors see them they’ll wave you through.

You might want to pay close attention to your hiking gear.
Make sure there’s no grass or dirt on any of your gear or you’ll set off the alarm bells.
That includes things that are often overlooked like the soles of your boots, tent pegs, etc
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Aushiker » Fri 18 Mar, 2022 12:26 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:
steadyed11 wrote:Hiking the Bibb E2E Oct-Sept. Coming from the states I would love to bring in my leftover freeze dried backpacking meals still sealed and within expiration (10 Mountain House, 10 AlpineAire). What’s the chances they’ll get in and not binned? Thanks, Greg
If they’re commercially prepared and sealed, you’ll have no problems.

Things must have changed then as I have had Backcountry meals confiscated.

See https://www.awe.gov.au/biosecurity-trad ... meat-items for the current rules. It does mention biltong.
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory