Larapinta - Simpsons To Ellery - Suggestions

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Larapinta - Simpsons To Ellery - Suggestions

Postby ZiKat » Sat 23 Apr, 2022 12:18 pm

Hi All,
Long time follower , first time poster!
Looking at the Larapinta - Simpsons to Ellery. Walking East to West. Four walkers in 40's , moderate fitness and moderate experience mostly walking VIC.
Can anyone help with an itinerary suggestion?
How many days would an approx. expectation be to complete this section if we dont want to Rush? Confused as NT websites recommends 9 days , others say 5 nights 6 days.
What are the most picturesque camp spots?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking at undertaking this in August.
ZiKat
ZiKat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Larapinta - Simpsons To Ellery - Suggestions

Postby ribuck » Sat 23 Apr, 2022 6:58 pm

I would do Simpsons Gap - Jay Creek - Standley Chasm via high route - Brinkley Bluff high camp (carry water) - Fringe Lily Creek (water 10 mins downstream) - Hugh Gorge with side-trip to Hugh Gorge Waterhole - Rocky Gully - Ellery Creek South.

This assumes your party are OK with carrying a five-day pack, plus water for Brinkley Bluff. It would be normal to leave a food drop at Standley Chasm so that you don't need to carry food for 7 days from Simpsons Gap.

The last two days across the plains are less interesting, and if you are OK with a long day you could skip the overnight stop at Rocky Gully.

You could add a stop at Fourfive Junction if you like.

I haven't actually done this itinerary. In 2018, I did Simpsons Gap - Jay Creek - Standley Chasm via high route - Brinkley Bluff - Fourfive Junction (shortish day) - Hugh Gorge Junction with side trip to Hugh Gorge Waterhole - Bush camp between Ghost Gum Flat and Rocky Gully (carry water from Hugh Gorge) - Ellery Creek South.

In 2021, I did Ellery Creek South - Rocky Gully - Hugh Gorge Junction (with side trip to Hugh Gorge Waterhole) - Stuarts Pass (water carry from Fourfive Junction) - Standley Chasm - Jay Creek - Simpsons Gap.

I hope this gives you some ideas. My only real recommendations are to include the side trip to Hugh Gorge Waterhole (adds 1 hour), to take the high route between Jay Creek and Standley Chasm (adds 1 hour), and to do a high camp on Brinkley Bluff if weather conditions permit.

Standley Chasm has showers and a cafe, but if you don't want to camp amongst cars you could replace it with an overnight at Millers Flat (water in puddles/spring in the Creek upstream, will need treatment, or you may find good water in Mesic Gully on your way down from the high route).
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Warin » Sat 23 Apr, 2022 8:41 pm

You may be interested in a photographs blog on the Larapinta...

https://www.louisedenton.com/blog
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ZiKat » Sun 24 Apr, 2022 9:28 pm

Great , Thanks ribuck and Warin. I have always loved this forum for the wealth of information and how open all the users seem to be.
Very similar to what we were thinking!
Any idea of Track issues / problems / any further information which may help us along these sections?
Gratefull!
ZiKat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ribuck » Mon 25 Apr, 2022 2:10 am

The NP currently can't access the water tanks at Fourfive Jn and Hugh Gorge due to road damage. If the water tank is empty, collect water from 15 min downstream of Fourfive Jn, or ten min upstream of Hugh Gorge camp.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ZiKat » Tue 26 Apr, 2022 5:26 pm

AMAZING. Thank you. So looking forward to this walk! Never walking in central Australia before so really looking forward to it!
ZiKat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Waratah67 » Thu 12 May, 2022 10:36 am

When are you planning on walking Zikat? Please let us know how you go. My mate and I are walking similar route late July 2022.
Waratah67
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ZiKat » Thu 26 May, 2022 12:54 pm

Hey Waratah67,
Looking at walking August 22. You guys will just beat us to it. Would love to hear how you got on when you return!
ZiKat.
ZiKat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory