Larapinta creek crossings

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Larapinta creek crossings

Postby rdale » Fri 15 Jul, 2022 6:15 am

I'm scheduled to do the Larapinta in second half of August. I had read that the creeks were generally dry at that time of the year, so I was prepared for a bit of wading at most. But I've recently read a couple of accounts where people said they had to swim across the creek at Hugh Gorge. Problem: I can't swim. Should I be worried? Are there other creeks that might be problematic?
rdale
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Larapinta creek crossings

Postby north-north-west » Fri 15 Jul, 2022 8:09 am

It is possible to bypass the wet bit at the start of Hugh Gorge - just scramble up the rocks on your left, or on your right as you exit if you're going west to east.
There wasn't a marked route over those rocks when I did it, but you can't get lost, just find the easiest line you can to go up and around, then drop down when you're past the water.
The only other place I've ever found along there where I've gotten wet is the crossing at Redbank shortly after reasonably heavy rain, where it was a hip-deep wade in the morning and still over knee deep coming back from Rwetyepme, but that's not a common experience - it's usually dry.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby rdale » Fri 15 Jul, 2022 11:12 am

Thanks NNW. Do you know if there is always water at Hugh Gorge, or is it more passable when it's been dry for a while? I'm ok with a bit of rock scrambling, but not as nimble at 60 as I was when I was younger.
rdale
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 15 Jul, 2022 1:48 pm

It was a little higher there than usual when I did the Larapinta (the Redbank issue was years earlier) because there had been some rain over the previous two days, but I think it's always at least a deepish wade. The second larger pool is usually easier to get around.

The scrambling wasn't too bad; just take it slow and careful. I spent the previous night at Hugh Junction and the next at an impromptu spot somewhere in the Alice Valley not far short of Rocky Gully. Still covered nearly 20km that day as most of that stretch is pretty flat.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby rdale » Fri 15 Jul, 2022 2:35 pm

Thanks. Fingers crossed!
rdale
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 17 Jul, 2022 7:55 am

There's a lot of air in packs, and they float for a while. I've floated 3-400 metres down rivers using the pack for support. Everything had extra plastic bags, starting with the smallest items. The entire contents had two solid garbage bags, unused until then, so decrease the chance of punctures. For a short river crossing you should be okay using the pack as a floatation device. Make sure that there are a number of straps to grab. Thin cords will not suffice.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory