Arthur River and Corinna.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Arthur River and Corinna.

Postby Mechanic-AL » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 10:42 am

I have just been told by my wife that she will be taking part field trip to Tasmania by the Native Orchid Society of W.A. in October and I will be expected to stay at Arthur River for around 5 nights and at Corinna for 4 nights. Being the good husband that I am I have agreed to her plan :D After mustering up the courage I casually dropped the suggestion that it could be a good opportunity for me to take off into the bush for a few nights while her and her companions where off bothering orchids.......and she AGREED !!

I have visited Arthur River and Corinna a couple of times but am not really all that familiar with the surrounding country. I have a copy of Phil Pullinger's Tarkine Trails and the Meridith Range and Mt Donaldson areas are the obvious stand outs. I would be keen to hear from anyone who has spent anytime walking in either of these areas. I'm looking at 2 or 3 nights around both Corinna and Arthur River and am comfortable with a bit of off track exploring. I suspect the coast trailer will be the obvious choice from Arthur River but open to anything around Corinna.

Please PM anything you may regard as sensitive. Any advice at all will be extremely appreciated.

Al
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Arthur River and Corinna.

Postby north-north-west » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 1:03 pm

Meredith Range is a fairly serious undertaking and October is not an ideal time to be out bush in Tassie. The weather is frequently a little on the ordinary side. I haven't done it yet and only know one person who had a shot and that was cut short due to water issues. Whyte River crossing may be a problem in October.

Donaldson is a lovely little daywalk, which can be extended by following the ridge north from the summit until you meet the remains of the very old and somewhat overgrown vehicle track that went down to Sunday Creek, which can be followed back to the main track.
There are also other daywalks around Corinna, such as the Savage River semi-loop (roadwalk back if you can't organise a pick up) and the Whyte River loop. If you want something longer, see about getting a boat ride to either Ferry Pt (southern side of Pieman Heads) or Hardwicke Pt (northern) and doing part of the coast - it's marvellous country although the river crossings may still be high enough to cause major issues at that time of year. Certainly you would have no trouble getting to Interview River (north), and probably Ahrberg Bay (south).
There's also the track up Hazelton, which can be used to start a walk along the Norfolk Range, and Edith (day or overnight), Balfour and Frankland and Holloway (day) are easy enough visits.
From Arthur River you can walk the coast south from Edge of the World at least as far as Sundown Creek (rather boring section really) and, depending on water levels and weather, maybe to Nelson Bay River. The northern part of the coast walk south from Temma is glorious country (particularly if you rock-hop rather than follow the vehicle tracks) and it can also be pushed north through Sarah Anne Rocks and Couta Rocks. There's also some wonderful country heading north - Church Rock is a short daywalk, Bluff Hill Point a bit further, and nungu/West Point is a viable target for an easy overnighter.

Parsons Hood is a great daywalk - no views from the summit but the midget forest up there is fascinating and the rainforest on the way up is absolutely stunning.
Livingstone is also worth a visit but the creek crossing might be something of an obstacle at that time of the year; you can also follow the vehicle tracks a lot further beyond the turn-off point for the peak if you can pick them up after the two or three times they fade out. It's great camping down on those low rolling hills.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby gayet » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 1:07 pm

A quick obvious option or 2 from Corinna as per nnw's post.
1. South from Pieman Heads as far as you wish over as many days as it takes and return
2. North from Pieman Heads to Interview Rv - half day walk. Base camp there for a few days and return.

Getting to the heads can be arranged with Corinna via the Arcadia trip down to the Heads. Drop off and pick up several days later. Extra cost for transfer from southern to northern bank.

No mountain climbing but some great rocks, dunes, coastal views.
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Biggles » Fri 27 Jan, 2023 9:32 am

There is nowt to enthuse a lengthy stay at Arthur River, save for the atmospheric walks along the coast to Edge of the World and further on into the Tarkine proper.

Corrina is a mixed bag, though popular with canoeists, and latterly mountain bikers. Walking and MTB maps are available at the Store in Corrina. Anything else further out needs careful planning — the Tarkine is renowned for its indifferent weather and challenging terrain (as Rob Blakers himself would attest to!). Personally I have been content with wandering up and down the river close to camp rather than venture further out. I didn't have my bike with me so participate in MTB trail riding, and felt very limited both by the irritatingly down weather and just getting around by foot. The major problem with Corrina is the weather — typically Tasmanian west coast ... drack. Of the four days I spent there (camping) in 2015 it rained each and every day. Fifth morning, departure day, onto the ferry and back to civilisation in bright warm sun... :cry:

Photography from Ted Mead and Rob Blakers will give you a wide-eyed view of the coast up and down from Arthur River, particularly the central Tarkine with its massive dune swales and granite tors, to say nothing of the craggy coast that fishermen earnestly avoid — save for the highly-prized rock lobsters that are the preserve of a few tough nuts plying the waters from A/River and Temma. I would not do any of those exposed beach walks in inclement weather, nor in persistent hot sun, and in October you'll get very wide (and frequent) variations. Corinna was my highlight. I hopped on the Arcadia ferry from Corrina to the Heads, and that section of debris-strewn coast can be particularly wild and unwelcoming in marginal weather (I took shelter in a hut as surfable waves came up on the Arthur!). In terms of walking, seek out advice from Arthur River Parks Rangers. On that subject, an Arthur River Ranger advised me that what is possible and easily achievable by foot in the morning may be impossible just a few hours later, because of rapid changes in weather, tidal variations, the presence of quicksand (!) and "meandering river mouths" (Interview River). "Always have a Plan B and C!", he said. Inland over hill and dale and largely untracked would be much more challenging, though undeniably atmospheric in the Tarkine's very special far-from-anything way.

Don't discount the splendid rainforest scenery in the immediate Corrina vicinity, but especially downstream along the dark, deep tannin-stained river. It might be possible to hire a canoe at Corrina and paddle out leisurely downstream to one of the accessible waterfalls through rainforest. Some walks have been extended from the camp downstream since my distant visit.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Mechanic-AL » Fri 27 Jan, 2023 7:06 pm

I really appreciate the time taken to provide such detailed responses to my questions. Thank you.
north-north-west wrote: October is not an ideal time to be out bush in Tassie. The weather is frequently a little on the ordinary side. .

Your warnings regarding the weather are not lost on me and I'm sure the weather gods will be in full charge of just whats possible at the time ! I would like to do a day walk at least to the foothills of the Meredith Range to get an eyeball on the range up close and see what it looks like but I guess that will depend on the whyte river level at the time.
I'm keen to walk from Pieman Heads to Granville Harbour if things work out. Arthur River is going to require a bit more homework or maybe get dropped off the list altogether in favour of something around the Balfour area.

Thanks again for the replies.

Al
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes