Adamson's Peak

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Adamson's Peak

Postby Strider » Thu 09 May, 2013 4:37 pm

Tas Tom wrote:Highly recommended....by me anyway. For variety of terrain and views it is a winner

Could not agree more. With views to the Eastern Arthurs and Federation Peak, Western Arthurs, Southern Ranges and Precipitous Bluff, it's a winner alright!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby vagrom » Thu 09 May, 2013 8:29 pm

Hallu wrote:Such a book is cruelly missing, the problem is etc...).

Thomas' first Tassie book was very adventurous and Chapman's small guides were very valuable. Thomas now writes for a wider audience and Chapman's are no less valuable. The theory goes, I think, that greater care is needed these days not to lead novices into danger and also particularly, Chapman had to publish with pressure applied to not muck up the country by guiding walkers into it. So, how to update a guide that remains valuable while bowing to reasonable demands. His two main Tassie guides are still exceptionally useful but the daywalks one, as you say, is more for a general audience, like Thomas'.
The method on this forum is to only give walks details in a private message. That seems to be the happy medium. Tassie's peak areas are unique in Oz, surpassing so much available on the mainland. Wild Mag. was almost a Tassie walks guide till recent years. Beaches, West and South coast are covered by Chapman but that's where the mainland holds it's own too.
You're right though. Not long ago this forum had a lot more detail about out of the way places but there's been an unspoken agreement to go light on details. Happily, a lot of stuff gets through occasionally and using the search box can supply details as well.
If you sign up to http://www.pressdisplay , you can get Cannon's weekly daywalks guide "In the Bush"( sign up to receive Saturday Magazine ) delivered to your inbox for free. He co-authored The Abels Vol 1. Well written,fine humour, up to date details on tracks and locations all over Tas. Tamer these days than his older items but none the less compendious. You will see stuff on the west, the beaches and the Tarkine. if your local library has Pressdisplay as a free E-resource, then you can go back through previous editions. He's recently done the Central Plateau and Pelion Plains.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby icefest » Mon 02 Sep, 2013 7:36 pm

Well, when I finally guess right, I'll start posting some beaches and cliffs!
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby dee_legg » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 9:16 am

Has anyone made the trip up Adamson's Peak recently and can comment on the state of the track? I'm planning on heading up this weekend but am trying to avoid wearing my boots if I don't have to (horrible blisters in situ).

Thanks!

Dee
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby devoswitch » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 11:17 am

Hi Dee,
I went up there a couple of weeks ago. The track is in generally good condition however there are a few overgrown sections that need to be pushe through. A little scratchy but manageable.
I'd definitely recommend boots and Gaitors as when you get up onto the plateau there is a maze of wombat trails to follow and it is fairly boggy through there.
Have fun! Such a beautiful view from the top. Very demanding to get up there but well worth it!
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dee_legg » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks mate! Looking forward to it.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dee_legg » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 7:17 am

Had a great day walking to Adamson's Peak yesterday. Took us 6 hours car to car and we both happily wore trail runners (we got wet feet but didn't care). Didn't get much of a view unfortunately but did catch glimpses of the Southern Ranges and the Picton and New River valleys to the west. Was anyone else out walking yesterday (12.03.16)? The weather was SO WEIRD! It was hot and still the entire way to the summit, with low swirling cloud and a tiny bit of rain. The wind blowing up the ridge from the north was like standing next to a heater. So strange.

The day was finished with a dip in the Esperance, an icecream at Geeveston and a free beer tasting event at Preachers.

Dee
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby devoswitch » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 7:53 am

Awesome, I'm Glad you enjoyed it. The weather sure was strange. I was up the Hartz mountains and I know what you mean about the warm winds. How wet was it up on the plateau?
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dee_legg » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 8:10 am

Not very devoswitch! There was a bit of mud but no real running water.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrekker » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 8:45 am

Dolerite spires a.jpg

Link to more photos from our trip last week. Also includes photos from Adamsons/Creekton Falls walk the following day.

Adamsons Peak Track in reasonable condition by SWTas standards. Features include: Commencement along old timber cutting tramway; Straight climb in forest following a steep snig track; 'Car wash' section (beaura and cutting grass overgrowing the track); Dolomite kast area featuring numerous fault lines (kind of area where water enters the karst system feeding thermal springs at Hastings); Boggy treeless plateau; Curious narrow and shattered Dolerite formations on eastern subsidiary peak; Dolerite boulder hopping to the summit.

We only had one brief navigational hiccup as we descended through the forest after dark. Near the very top of the snig track the taped route diverts south to avoid several tree falls before rejoining the snig track.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 10:15 am

That's a really nice shot from one of my favourite sections of the track. Ripper!
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes