Agamemnon, Lord, Proteus, Mayson, Parmeener, Brewery Knob et

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Agamemnon, Lord, Proteus, Mayson, Parmeener, Brewery Knob et

Postby naturelover » Mon 19 Sep, 2016 2:54 pm

I am busy playing catch-up here. I note to my amazement that I haven't posted since we climbed Lots Wife around Easter time. I guess I've been busy with other things. I have kept my blog up to date, even if not visits to this forum. If anyone wants any extra pictures or stories or route maps for any of the following, they are there in the blog:
Mt Lord (route map incl)
Brewery Knob (route map, story, pics)
Mt Proteus (no map as the screen didn't show the contours well enough)
Castra Falls + Silver and Step Falls
Mt Mayson (sorry, unlike Stu I didn't take a ladder to do the final climb, so have used his photo instead :D )
Redwater Creek and Dasher Falls
Snow camping at Cradle
Mt Parmeener (sorry, no points for this, but it's still a great little climb)
and Agamemnon (can't remember if it's worth any points, but it sure is speccy!!!!!!)

If anyone has any comments on how long it might take to do Philps, I'd appreciate hearing. We were timetabled and weathered out of that extension on the day, so contented ourselves with a lovely weekend jaunt just to Aga.

Hope you enjoy my pictures and stories. We have so many fantastic mountains (and waterfalls) in Tassie, it is truly amazing. Perhaps others would find it confronting, but I am thrilled that I will not get to see everything there is on offer before I have to finish exploring one day. It speaks to me of an infinite richness available, whose depths are beyond me, but whose complexity and beauty fill me with awe.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Agamemnon, Lord, Proteus, Mayson, Parmeener, Brewery Kno

Postby north-north-west » Mon 19 Sep, 2016 4:38 pm

naturelover wrote:If anyone has any comments on how long it might take to do Philps, I'd appreciate hearing. We were timetabled and weathered out of that extension on the day, so contented ourselves with a lovely weekend jaunt just to Aga.

You must have almost caught up to me now. Good. About time someone did.

I did Philps from a camp near Agamemnon. Had plenty of time for a leisurely ramble out to the summit, a bit of an explore along the ridge towards White Needle, more exploration around Aga, back to camp, pack up, and down to Vera for an early camp. You're fitter and faster so I would think you'd be able to knock it off from the track (or even from Vera) as a daywalk.
There's only one scrubby bit between Agamemnon and Philps, and that's very short. Some fun scrambling, but.
Or you can do a loop via Barron and White Needle. Even more fun scrambling.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby naturelover » Mon 19 Sep, 2016 5:13 pm

Thanks so much for that advice NNW. I don't quite share your confidence, but we'll see. We were pretty slow getting up to Aga!!!!
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 19 Sep, 2016 5:53 pm

So was I - picked the wrong line at one spot and had a bit of scrub to fight. But if the nav is accurate it's easy enough.
But it's worth camping up top - Agamemnon has a number of brilliant campsites, including the bowl just the other side of the summit. Great spot to spend a night.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby naturelover » Mon 19 Sep, 2016 8:48 pm

Yeah, we sussed it out. If you look at my photos you'll see we camped nice and high
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes