Wilmot River walks feedback

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Wilmot River walks feedback

Postby billshep2 » Sun 24 Mar, 2019 3:28 pm

I would appreciate some feedback on the Wilmot River walks. It seems as if only the easy main circuit to East Ellis from the Alma is walked.
There are several other wilder walks which involve a huge amount of work to maintain almost entirely on my own. If people can tell me they have an interest it will encourage me to keep going!! The walks are all on my wordpress blog at https://wilmotriverwalks.com
There are some pictures on there which may inspire, and articles on the project's history.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Wilmot River walks feedback

Postby MrWalker » Sun 24 Mar, 2019 5:09 pm

Our family has walked the main East Ellis circuit and were really impressed by the good condition of the track.

We started at the south end but could not find the correct spot to cross the river so didn't go further. My wife had trouble at the section where you need to wiggle along the edge of the river on rough concrete steps, so she didn't get very far.

We have the waterfalls and middle access on our list of things to do, but have not got to that section yet.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby teak » Sun 24 Mar, 2019 5:53 pm

Yesterday I walked the Spellmans to Horseshoe Bend track, we used the western side over the landslip on the way there, returning via the eastern low level track. Your tracks are a great asset and I hope you will continue to maintain them, thank you.
teak

Postby billshep2 » Mon 25 Mar, 2019 12:12 pm

Great to get feedback already. especially pleased that the Horseshoe Bend routes are enjoyed. The Shoestring Crossing is about ten minutes before the wire rope and concrete steps mentioned. It is signposted at a junction with a big wooden Lucy's track sign. Turn right towards the river here on a short side track for the crossing. The wire rope rock section can be easily bypassed on a splendid high track Max made a couple of years ago. It is signposted at both ends. I hope this helps.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby billshep2 » Mon 25 Mar, 2019 12:55 pm

20190103_133218[1].jpg
Here is a picture of Horseshoe Bend beach to inspire . I am encouraged to keep working on the tracks by your support, I am sure today's storm will have wreaked havoc!
The waterfalls at Groove and Farmers Creeks will not be impressive until we get lots more rain.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby teak » Thu 25 Apr, 2019 1:22 pm

I went for another walk from Spellmans Bridge down to the Rock Garden and back, very nice walk taking about 3.5 hours.
Attachments
DSCN1221.jpg
DSCN1224.jpg
DSCN1230.jpg
DSCN1234.jpg
teak

Postby billshep2 » Mon 29 Apr, 2019 6:31 pm

Thanks for that, great to hear you enjoyed the river
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby billshep2 » Mon 29 Apr, 2019 6:33 pm

How was the track from Horseshoe bend to Rock garden ? I last cleared it in February
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby teak » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:03 am

The track from Horseshoe Bend to the Rock Garden was a little overgrown but still easily followed, there were no recently fallen trees over the track.
teak

Postby billshep2 » Sat 04 May, 2019 11:18 pm

Thanks I will try to clip it back next week. helps to know I don't need the chainsaw!
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby billshep2 » Tue 07 May, 2019 7:54 pm

Cleared track from Groove Creek right through to Spellman's today. A few limbs down and one gum and dogwoods across track just north of Rock Garden. Clipped back overhanging stuff and cleared side track to Rock Garden. Landslide still dodgy south of Horseshoe Bend
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Davo1 » Sun 12 May, 2019 8:09 am

Hi Bill thanks for the updates. The wife and friends still walk the track all the way when they get the chance. They did Groove to Spellmans a little while back and found as you mentioned that the landslip was a bit dodgy. One of those trees came down as they went thru and scared the daylights out of them :)
Thanks for the effort, it is really appreciated.
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Davo1 » Sun 12 May, 2019 8:11 am

Just a heads up Bill, have sent some different crews out to Wilmot Gorge and they all reported it was a great short walk.
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby billshep2 » Tue 04 Jun, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks Davo Glad the Wilmot Gorge track was enjoyed. I think there is logging in there just now?
Yes the landslide is best avoided when the river is low by using the new route crossing at the cascades above Horseshoe Bend beach and then crossing back beyond the steep loose banks. Falling trees are a fearsome hazard especially on the Wilmot with its unstable slopes. Its great to hear of a range of folk on the tracks. I am going off to Europe for 8 weeks so not much will be done until Spring.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby sirius Tas » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 8:39 am

I wish to acknowledge the sad passing of Bill Shepherd(billshep2) on 20th Nov 2020.
Bill died doing what he loved, bushwalking and track maintenance on the tracks and trails all over northern Tasmania.
Bill spent an enormous amount of time upgrading and maintaining the extensive network of trails along the Wilmot River and updating his blog for all to use......https://wilmotwalkingtracks.com/
His last entry was on the 13th Nov 2020.
Billls legacy will live on for ever for all of us who have had the pleasure to follow in his footsteps. His legacy..
"we are such stuff as dreams are made on".
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mountain Rocket » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 8:59 pm

Vale Bill! What a legacy to leave behind. Thoughts go out to all his friends and family.
Mountain Rocket

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes