Maggs 17 or Arm River to Pelion (and surrounds)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Maggs 17 or Arm River to Pelion (and surrounds)

Postby LeftRightShoot » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 2:09 pm

Gday,

Im thinking of a 3 day trip from either Maggs 17 or Arm River (maggs preferred) up to Pillinger and Pelion Hut on Day 1. Then Pelion East on day 2 (Oakleigh if time) and the Oakleigh and out on Day 3. Distances (12km per day) are a little longer than I'd like if I was walking in full snow however I feel they are still achievable full days. Ive not walked Maggs and have read some reports its overgrown.

I'm just after any recent (last week or so) track reports and conditions. How was your walk speed compared to your expected? Is there plenty of snow about?

Any other relevent info would be great.
LeftRightShoot
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Maggs 17 or Arm River to Pelion (and surrounds)

Postby Nuts » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 6:08 pm

That track should really be closed off now and the churned up sphagnum allowed to heal, Arm R track is easier these days.
If you haven't been in Arm R. it's a nice loop up the valley past Pillinger and back via Lake Price.

I went in M17 in March, it is a bit overgrown here n there.

Days make a difference regarding snow cover, rare to have good cover but it's elevated and can be a real chore through there if it comes in heavy (more tonight).
M17 road does go up near 900m asl.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hermione » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 7:55 pm

Not sure about Arm River road but towards the end of last week Maggs had a fallen tree across the road, too heavy for the three of us to move (didn’t bring chainsaw)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby shelly » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 10:08 pm

Just came back from the Maggs track today- found an orange MacPac beanie on the track, looks like it had been dropped very recently. Maybe one of the above authors owns it?
shelly
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes