South Coast Track

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

South Coast Track

Postby Annakilda » Sun 02 Feb, 2020 8:31 am

Hi there,
I am coming from the UK and interested in doing the South Coast trail this year - late November or early December.

I am debating whether doing it on my own (or with a friend or someone else), or use a company with an small group.
Do you know any companies doing it in less than 9 days? The one i have found tend to do it in 9 or 10 days, but i won't have that long.

If doing it by myself, is it easy enough to find people / companions to do it with, either on this forum, or at the start of the trail?
Will the trail be completely empty at that time of year? And is it a bad time of year for rain and mud?

In terms of difficulty, could you tell me are there some very exposed sections. I know this is a challenging trek, and I am an experienced hiker, and used to mud and rain, but suffer from mild vertigo. I have looked at a few detailled videos of the trail, but find it difficult to see how "scary" it might be for someone suffering vertigo.
Has the trail has been upgraded / improved recently to make the river crossing easier?
Many thanks for your help!
All the best from Scotland :)
Annakilda
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: South Coast Track

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sun 02 Feb, 2020 9:56 am

I cant think of anywhere along the South Coast Track where Vertigo may cause problems. The steps up the Ironbounds look far more daunting from Louisa River campsite than they actually are once you start climbing. There is a very short easy little scramble up the rocks to get to the Granite Beach campsite and anywhere else where the track follows the cliff tops it is possible to stay well away from the edge.
Finding company shouldnt be a concern. Quite the opposite I would imagine.
If you only have a narrow window of opportunity to complete the walk the weather could probably be your biggest concern.
No fun being down there when the weather is coming at you sideways.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Annakilda » Mon 03 Feb, 2020 4:30 am

thanks! Much appreciated
Annakilda
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby durks » Wed 12 Feb, 2020 12:33 am

Annakilda wrote:If doing it by myself, is it easy enough to find people / companions to do it with, either on this forum, or at the start of the trail?
Will the trail be completely empty at that time of year?

There will almost certainly be other people en route at the same time as you.

Annakilda wrote:In terms of difficulty, could you tell me are there some very exposed sections.

Nothing to be concerned about at all.

Annakilda wrote:Has the trail has been upgraded / improved recently to make the river crossing easier?

Which river crossing are you thinking about? What I wouldn't want to do by myself is the crossing of New River Lagoon: manhandling the boats single-handed would be heavy work.
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes