Wilmot River Walks for hard times

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Wilmot River Walks for hard times

Postby billshep2 » Thu 09 Apr, 2020 4:44 pm

Because there are so few places currently available for a quiet walk, I have gone back to work on the east bank of the Wilmot River. Lucy's Track is now clear from the Gentle Annie Road above Alma to East Ellis flat. Look for a yellow sign on a tree in a layby, park here with care, cross the road and head down to the river on a good zigzag track The walk is in State Forest and not subject to Parks restrictions. Obviously you should observe social distancing and the Rule of Two. The river is often too high to ford due to the dam spilling while the Wilmot tunnel is renovated.

Spellman's circuit is also cleared but it will depend on the river level for easy passage.

Those of you who usually do good works around the state might help out locally by removing foxgloves and thistles!!
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Wilmot River Walks for hard times

Postby billshep2 » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 3:39 pm

I have checked the Spellman's Walk to Corner Beach and cleared logs. There is a wasps nest at the big fallen log on the high level. Take care. They did not attack me.

With the very high water due to dam spill and rains it has been dangerous at the start of the track. There are 4 rock bands. I have made a new bypass above the first two which starts just past a little creek bed near the bridge,normally dry. The third rock has a good ramp well above the river. The fourth has a bypass. Then there is the main high level route, signposted, which takes you to Corner Beach. This is as far you can go at high water. Return by the same way as the summer level riverside route will be impassable.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Wilmot River Walks for hard times

Postby billshep2 » Thu 07 May, 2020 5:24 pm

I have now cleared the Dooley track between Shoestring Crossing and East Ellis. Access by River Road Kindred while the river is high.
The East Bank route from Ellis Saddle to Osbert Crossing is clear. I had great help from Jill and Sorcha.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes