Dooley Track access

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Dooley Track access

Postby billshep2 » Sat 25 Apr, 2020 7:55 pm

Access to the Dooley Track from Jamieson's Road at the Alma is no longer recommended due to issues with a landowner. With the high water levels often experienced due to work on the dam, which will continue until Spring 2020, the track will frequently be inaccessible from Lucy's Track on the east bank at Shoestring Crossing.

You can get down to Payne Creek on Dooley via River Road, off Swamp Road in Kindred.A steep walk on a 4wd track.
I have cleared the track from Shoestring to Payne apart from a big white gum which can easily be crawled under.

Lucy's Track which starts 700 mts up the Wilmot Road from Alma Bridge is in good order. Lots of beautiful funghi just now.

Update. Dooley track is now clear to Payne Shelter. Here is a map showing access via River Road in Kindred 2.7 km along Swamp road. The 4wd track down to the river was graded by a firecrew fighting a fire deliberately lit by vandals in January 2020. In dry conditions you could drive down to a good carpark above the steep section with 4wd vehicle. Its quite a nice walk once you get past all the dumped rubbish which afflicts these woods.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200501-174218_Avenza Maps.jpg
Last edited by billshep2 on Fri 01 May, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Dooley Track access

Postby GerryDuke » Sat 25 Apr, 2020 10:13 pm

Thanks Bill for all your work here. I still have not managed to get there. Hopefully after hibernation.

Gerry
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site

Postby Maraea48 » Thu 26 Nov, 2020 6:28 pm

Very sad to find out that our friend, Bill Shepherd, passed away on the Badgers Ridgeline track, Friday 20th November 2020. On top of the Morgan Skyline, 2.1km way from Morgan Rd on his way to Badgers Rd. May his soul rest in peace. Condolences to his wife, family, friends and all those who knew him. A tireless worker, who has done so much for us, he will be sorely missed by the Bushwalking community. More details can be found on the Kentish Walks Facebook page. www.facebook.com/groups/kentishwalks
Maraea48
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sun 06 Dec, 2020 1:49 pm

Sad News. I've never met Bill but I'm sure I've had the benefit of much of his hard work.
Sounds like he passed away in a place he loved.

Now he can rest in peace.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes