Holwell Gorge revisited

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Holwell Gorge revisited

Postby billshep2 » Tue 19 May, 2020 6:35 pm

I have checked out the Holwell Gorge. Some new storm damage near the formerly much feared Log of Death. I have cleared it all, and overgrown foliage right through to the Southern end. It remains a slippery and demanding walk in places and will always be subject to landslips and fallen trees due to the topography. Hopefully there are no more big trees left to fall down where I have just cleaned up.Seems to be just dogwoods left standing.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Holwell Gorge revisited

Postby billshep2 » Tue 02 Jun, 2020 5:29 pm

Checked the worst landslip section. Replaced rope with marine quality 1600 kg b.s. and attached it to a galvanised star picket to make it safer.It remains a difficult passage when the rock is wet. Best avoided.
The bypass along the creek is much better, although you have to cross twice and may get wet feet. Will try to make stepping stones with wire mesh gabion style.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes