Hartz Peak... and being responsible in winter weather

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Hartz Peak... and being responsible in winter weather

Postby headwerkn » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 12:58 pm

Blog -> http://www.benderandxing.com/2020/07/03/hartz-peak/
Video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GC9dZr ... e=emb_logo

This is a short, popular, well-known, well marked and easy peak to reach, so I won't bore you all with the blow-by-blow details (blog link is there if you are genuinely curious). Instead I'll take a few minutes to rant... ahem, calmly discuss some concerning behaviour we witnessed from fellow walkers on the day.

APC_3498-1-1024x768 (Small).jpg
APC_3498-1-1024x768 (Small).jpg (74.89 KiB) Viewed 15075 times
APC_3473-1-768x1024 (Small).jpg
APC_3473-1-768x1024 (Small).jpg (49.29 KiB) Viewed 15075 times
APC_3488-2-1024x768 (Small).jpg
APC_3488-2-1024x768 (Small).jpg (93.77 KiB) Viewed 15075 times

The weather was decidedly foul this day... low cloud/mist, low visibility and a freezing cold sou-westerly blasting across the exposed ridgeline at probably 40-50kts. It's probably 3-4 degrees ambient at best, well below freezing with wind chill. Pretty crappy honestly but we're down this way for the weekend regardless. No mucking around for us - layer up, full wet weathers on, spare gloves/thermals and the usual winter emergency gear just in case. We'd seen pics of a full iced-over summit from the previous day, so the microspikes get thrown in the packs too... not necessary in the end, a lot of the ice has melted off, leaving just enough to make the rocks slippery.

On our return trip we start passing a fairly steady line of walkers heading up to the top - about two dozen people in total - as you'd expect on the June long weekend and the first weekend with no statewide travel restrictions. Pretty soon we're noticing the distinct lack of proper gear and preparation by at least 50% of the people we're passing. And by 'proper gear' I'm not talking OTT head-to-toe Gortex and mountaineering boots, but the absolute basics... gloves, decent footwear, vaguely waterproof/windproof tops and a pack with spare clothes, food and emergency provisions.

No, instead we've got kids in streetwear/trackpants and hoodies, ladies in thin leggings and ballet flats, a guy in jeans, another in shorts (he seemed cold). A few don't have gloves. Most don't have a pack, so clearly they're not carrying anything other than the clothes on their back.

Honestly this sort of behaviour really worries me. I know Hartz Peak is an easy, short walk in summer and I'd happily do it in shorts, a tshirt and trail runners on a fine day any other time of the year. And I know after a couple of months of being couped up people were keen to get out ANYWHERE ELSE - us included - and obviously the hope of a little snow play was on the mind of many punters too. But at what point do we as bushwalkers cease with the pleasantries of "ohh, yeah it's pretty cold and slippery up there, you'll want to be careful" and instead straight call out people with no business on the tops of mountains?

I don't want to be a gear nazi or rude, and maybe 9 times out of 10 these people can cover the 7-8km in time before their core temps start to drop... but the chances of twisting/spraining/breaking an ankle etc. on that last ascent were real. Get stuck on the side of that track in those conditions, not moving, for more than 15-20 mins and you're going to get wet and cold very quickly. Rescue heli ain't coming out in those conditions, sorry... you'll be waiting for a rescue team to carry you out if your mates can't manage it for you.

Yes, good gear is expensive, and tough to justify if you're not a regular walker. But basic rain jackets/pants from Anaconda et. al. don't cost much. Neither do gloves. Better yet, the commonsense to say "yeah, today's not for me" and stay in your car doesn't cost a thing ;-)

Forgive the rant, but it was telling - as we drove home that afternoon - that the police and SAR had been kept rather busy over the weekend with a number of rescues. They'd made a point that several groups were very much ill-prepared for the conditions too.

It might have been the backside of summer still when we went into lockdown, but in the time since, winter has definitely arrived. Be careful out there folks.

Cheers, Ben.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Hartz Peak... and being responsible in winter weather

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 1:13 pm

Totally agree, we see it all the time.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MrWalker » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 10:10 pm

People have been cooped up for a long time and are desperate to get out anywhere, even if they have no experience. We've seen much larger numbers of people than usual at several places lately, and when we talk to them, most are not regular bushwalkers. They will go for anything called a "Great Short Walk" and Hartz Peak is listed, so off they go.

I suggest avoiding all Great Short Walks for a while.
MrWalker

Postby headwerkn » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 12:55 pm

MrWalker wrote:People have been cooped up for a long time and are desperate to get out anywhere, even if they have no experience. We've seen much larger numbers of people than usual at several places lately, and when we talk to them, most are not regular bushwalkers.

This is what concerns me. It's one thing to have a heated debate with another experienced walker as to whether you really need this or that. But when people, who'd usually be holidaying in Queensland around this time, are instead out and about locally, but still dressed like they're somewhere 15 degrees warmer... :shock:

I fear we'll see a noticeable increase in rescues this winter/spring over 2019.
headwerkn

Postby Hermione » Thu 09 Jul, 2020 6:55 am

We were at Hartz mountain a couple of weeks ago and noticed the same thing. Lots of people who looked very underprepared for the conditions. I know it’s a really accessible walk but Mother Nature doesn’t care about that. Quite a few people were heading up late in the day considering how early it gets dark.
I understand everyone’s been cooped up and probably can’t go on their normal holidays . I find It hard to know what to say to people in that situation, I don’t want to come across as patronising but I also feel some degree of social responsibility or whatever you like to call it.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rexyviney36 » Thu 09 Jul, 2020 7:59 am

headwerkn wrote:
MrWalker wrote:People have been cooped up for a long time and are desperate to get out anywhere, even if they have no experience. We've seen much larger numbers of people than usual at several places lately, and when we talk to them, most are not regular bushwalkers.

This is what concerns me. It's one thing to have a heated debate with another experienced walker as to whether you really need this or that. But when people, who'd usually be holidaying in Queensland around this time, are instead out and about locally, but still dressed like they're somewhere 15 degrees warmer... :shock:

I fear we'll see a noticeable increase in rescues this winter/spring over 2019.

Wouldn't mind seeing the stats when it's all done and dusted. I totally get what you're saying and agree with everything except the rescues part - my guess is, tourists that pay their cash and 'have to walk' when they've booked are more likely to get rescued when the weather turns foul in Tassie.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby headwerkn » Fri 10 Jul, 2020 9:35 am

Rexyviney36 wrote:tourists that pay their cash and 'have to walk' when they've booked are more likely to get rescued when the weather turns foul in Tassie.

Yes, that has long been a problem ever since the booking system came to be. I don't know if 2019 was just a bad year for snowfalls, or I was just paying more attention, but the number of rescues due to snow was, shall we say, highly concerning.

Obviously we're looking at fewer out-of-state visitors in the coming months, likely no international tourists for some time yet, but I'm not sure if local tourists/non-walkers are going to be any better prepared should they decide to take on trips like the OLT in place of their usual holiday destinations.
headwerkn

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes