Gog Range

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Gog Range

Postby billshep2 » Fri 17 Jul, 2020 6:31 pm

The old route to the summit of Gog which I made many years ago has been overwhelmed by regrowth after fire. The climbing spur is good once you find it. It is cleared and waymarked. It is a safe, although steep, way up through the cliffline. There are many steep crags on Gog take care especially when descending.
There was a good walk from the summit west along the ridge to the Falls which sidled above the Falls cliffs and down to the Gog Road but this has probably been overgrown. There is a splendid arete to the east of the climbing spur which overlooks the Mersey Gorge
To access the eastern highpoint on Gog a bike is handy as there are 6 km of road to cover beyond the boomgate
Attachments
Screenshot_20200717-174416_Avenza Maps.jpg
Eastern Gog route
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Gog Range

Postby north-north-west » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 3:42 pm

I stumbled upon the remains of an old pad/track climbing Gog a few years back. Should have realised it was your work. Thanks for the help.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Re: Gog Range

Postby billshep2 » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 4:42 pm

Good to hear other folk go to Gog! I used to take the Walking Club up there when the route was clear.
It really needs waymarking from the road to the cliffline again. On the map you will see where I tried various approaches. The one to the east I used to return was much better. There are big patches of understorey regrowth. Sometimes you head straight through and hit another good open bit. The place where I came out was on a spur road about 6.5 km from the boomgate just past where the main Gog Road and Tasmanian Trail heads down to the Mersey. I have taped it.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes