Access to Stacks Bluff

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Access to Stacks Bluff

Postby billshep2 » Thu 17 Sep, 2020 1:35 pm

I tried to checkout the Stacks Bluff track at Storeys Creek recently but there are new logging coups in operation which have confused access, and obviously its not advisable to wander about where men are working.
Seems a shame to log this old growth alpine forest but there you are.
Hopefully signage will be put up to make it easier to find the start of the track.
I went up there years ago and had no trouble finding my way, driving up a fair distance in the ute.
I did come across a Forestry Tasmania sign near the start of the historic old Storeys Creek Road a few kms east of Rossarden at the junction with Barneys Road which said Ben Lomond track to plateau 2 hours. Has anyone been up that way?
Incidentally the old Storeys Road made in 1910 makes a good walk or bike run.Fine stone embankments and creeks.I think there is a connection down Mistletoe Creek to Craggy Peaks resort.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has got confused by the logging up here. Such a fine place. You can send me a private message.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Access to Stacks Bluff

Postby Doonish » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 8:55 pm

Not sure it's the track you're talking about, but the route used to access Sphinx and Pavement Bluffs is very close to there (Listmap shows it zoomed out, the 1:25,000 only has the old vehicle track). Straightforward, from memory, to the plateau.

But looks a bit of a stroll over to Stacks Bluff from there.
Doonish
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Fullers Bookshop

Re: Access to Stacks Bluff

Postby billshep2 » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 11:12 am

I have emailed STT asking if they will put up new signage when the logging operations are complete above Storey's Creek. I have found them to be helpful with any problems on the Wilmot River tracks in the North West, so we can only live in hope!
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes