Trip report - South West Cape circuit

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Trip report - South West Cape circuit

Postby north-north-west » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 7:12 pm

Or maybe not. Road to Cockle Creek is closed, South Coast Track is closed, Port Davey Track is closed, Par Avion have suspended flights into Melaleuca.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby kahtadin » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 11:04 pm

Well, I've got plenty of plan B's. The track to the north you've mentioned. Flinders. East Coast. Pubs. Not necessarily in that order...
kahtadin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby north-north-west » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 7:07 am

Flinders or Tarkine or pub crawl sounds good.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby charlesdarwin1986 » Fri 10 Jan, 2020 4:20 pm

Hi. Love this post. Can you please give estimate of kms or hours hiking per day or per section? Thanks
charlesdarwin1986
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby farefam » Sat 18 Jan, 2020 9:12 pm

Did the circuit recently. I agree that SW cape is not worth the effort due to the very thick and very tough scrub. It was obvious that very few people manage to get through it. Beware of a false lead as you approach Faults Bay as it can cost you 1 to 3 hours of lost time when what you think is the main track inexplicably stops at a creek. There is an excellent large camp at Spain Bay but you may need to travel to the creek in the eastern beach to find any fresh water. Overall it is an excellent walk (other than for the section along the muddy Port Davey track) and I suggest you allow for several rest days along the way to fully explore the bays. The sections of rerouted track are an improvement from the original, but the section over Amy Range is choked with bakers in places.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tas-man » Fri 31 Jan, 2020 10:52 am

I assume the spell check didn't like "bauera!"
farefam wrote:Did the circuit recently. I agree that SW cape is not worth the effort due to the very thick and very tough scrub. It was obvious that very few people manage to get through it. Beware of a false lead as you approach Faults Bay as it can cost you 1 to 3 hours of lost time when what you think is the main track inexplicably stops at a creek. There is an excellent large camp at Spain Bay but you may need to travel to the creek in the eastern beach to find any fresh water. Overall it is an excellent walk (other than for the section along the muddy Port Davey track) and I suggest you allow for several rest days along the way to fully explore the bays. The sections of rerouted track are an improvement from the original, but the section over Amy Range is choked with baurea in places.

This section of track really needs some pruning trips as the excellent track work from two decades ago has lasted well, but lack of traffic is allowing the track to become overgrown.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ndevr » Mon 03 Feb, 2020 7:02 pm

Just to add some balance, camping out on the Cape goes down as one of my greatest nights camping.
I regard it as a 'must do' if the weather is in your favour.
Fantastic views all around.
Yes there's some scrub-bashing, but more than worth the effort.
Ndevr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby farefam » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 9:41 pm

I had reasonable weather but don't think Southwest Cape is worth the side trip. The scrub is very thick and tough and clothes shredding, and the end on view of the cape isn't that attractive IMO compared to the side on view from the air, sea or from Window Pane Bay. The rest of the circuit is great though.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes