Mt Farrell

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Farrell

Postby wello » Sat 29 May, 2010 12:02 pm

This is an interesting short walk that starts on a signposted track in the small town of Tullah on the west coast. Initial walking is through forest and climbs steeply after passing a few old mines. Around 35 minutes, and you're out onto a button grass clad ridge. At the track junction, take the right branch, as the other one takes a lower route to the other side of the range and Lake Herbert. Continue climbing and the track makes the top of the ridge, and there's some views of Lake Mackintosh to the east.
farrell2.jpg
Lake Mackintosh

The track follows the ridge south over a few ups and downs to the summit. There are a few patches of scrub, but the track avoids most of these and is easy to follow. The summit offers some good views of Mt Murchison, Tullah and the nearby Lake Herbert.
farrell1.jpg
Lake Herbert
farrell3.jpg
Mt Murchison

Total time for the walk was around 3 hours not including a lunch break on top. Distance is around 3km each way, with around 500m of elevation to gain. I enjoyed this walk as it gave a good sense of wilderness despite being just up the hill from a town and major highway.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Mt Farrell

Postby Drifting » Sat 29 May, 2010 5:54 pm

That's a really great write up- definitely one I'd like to do.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Chrisbulldog » Mon 31 May, 2010 12:15 pm

A party of 3 of us did this walk yesterday (30/5/10). Virtually a cloudless day. This walk must be high up in regards to rewards for effort gained , scenery everywhere you look. We made it out to the summit to collect out point ,then lunched down at Lake Herbert. Was almost warm enough to swim. Couple of boggy spots , but otherwise track is in good condition. Cheers Chris.
Attachments
P1000456.JPG
P1000456.JPG (164.55 KiB) Viewed 11418 times
Valentine's Peak , Overland Track , Walls of Jerusalem , The Temple
Chrisbulldog
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 Jun, 2010 7:19 pm

Yeah, this is one I want to do again.
When I went up it was at the tail-end of a day of driving when I desperately needed to loosen up and get some exercise. Only had about 90 minutes until sunset so didn't get all the way to Herbert. But it's still a lovely little walk.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes