Big River conditions

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Big River conditions

Postby Mr Bean » Wed 24 Mar, 2021 11:18 am

We are planning a walk over Easter, from the Omeo Hwy to Mt Hotham, via the AAWT. With all of the rain recently, just wondering if the chain across Big River is still intact and what will the river be like? I've read other reports that normally, this time of year, its about knee deep. I'm suspecting its a little more than that. What's it like in spring (as a possible comparison)?
Mr Bean
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Big River conditions

Postby Xplora » Wed 24 Mar, 2021 12:40 pm

Apparently the chain is down. The river is up also just now but it goes down quickly after rain. If this river gauge is working then it gives me a good idea of the depth at T Spur. http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDV67209/IDV6 ... .plt.shtml Summer levels at Joker are normally about 1m which is knee deep or less at T Spur. This is only an indication when there is no big rain. 1.2m at Joker would be mid thigh. Any higher and you could have trouble without the chain. At 1.5m I probably would not cross even with the chain and a heavy pack.

I would not be too concerned just yet. The levels will return to normal in a day or so. Even during winter the levels can be low. Spring levels are the worst when the is snow melt. The rest of the year you may only need a day or even a couple of hours.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mr Bean » Wed 24 Mar, 2021 9:48 pm

Thanks Xplora. I had heard that the chain was down, but was unsure. I'll keep an eye on Joker Creek. Currently the weather looks to be improving next week. At least the water sources along the way will be plentiful.
Mr Bean
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mr Bean » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 8:54 pm

As it was, we did the crossing on Easter Sunday and it was knee deep, at most. The chain was down, but there was a nice collection of sticks either side of the river, to make it easier.
Mr Bean
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes