Mt Clear Traverse 16-17 Sep

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Mt Clear Traverse 16-17 Sep

Postby GBW » Thu 02 Nov, 2023 5:05 pm

Camminata wrote:I didn't see one AAWT marker :lol:

Some were difficult to spot. I'm not the greatest navigator and found it a bit tricky but somehow managed to stay on line. The worst part was Square Top being stuck on that damn slope. It was very windy, raining, hard on the ankles, I was cold. Half way across I'd had enough and headed for the top which was flat and sheltered from the wind. Should have done that at the start and found a way up through the rocks to the top. Did you use the AAWT book notes? It's explained nicely.

Just remembered I have a video of the conditions. There's a lot of wind noise...

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Camminata » Thu 02 Nov, 2023 5:47 pm

GBW wrote:
Camminata wrote:I didn't see one AAWT marker :lol:

Some were difficult to spot. I'm not the greatest navigator and found it a bit tricky but somehow managed to stay on line. The worst part was Square Top being stuck on that damn slope. It was very windy, raining, hard on the ankles, I was cold. Half way across I'd had enough and headed for the top which was flat and sheltered from the wind. Should have done that at the start and found a way up through the rocks to the top. Did you use the AAWT book notes? It's explained nicely.

Just remembered I have a video of the conditions. There's a lot of wind noise...

No I didn't use aawt notes.... are you able to send me a link to these notes , im interested to read them now ????
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby GBW » Thu 02 Nov, 2023 5:56 pm

It's a great book and I'd recommend you get it...

https://www.john.chapman.name/pub-aawt.html

Available at some of the outdoor retailers also.

There's a new edition out which I haven't seen.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 02 Nov, 2023 6:07 pm

I have the new AAWT guide book. It is quite informative. I found plenty of AAWT markers when I walked this route. I stayed on top of the ridge lines/ Summit plateaus and avoided going off to the side slopes most of the time . The AAWT markers with their characteristic yellow triangles are attached to trees up along the ridge tops along that route.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Camminata » Thu 02 Nov, 2023 6:28 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I have the new AAWT guide book. It is quite informative. I found plenty of AAWT markers when I walked this route. I stayed on top of the ridge lines/ Summit plateaus and avoided going off to the side slopes most of the time .

The AAWT markers with their characteristic yellow triangles are attached to trees up along the ridge tops along that route.

oh yeah really who would of thought...
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Camminata » Thu 02 Nov, 2023 6:29 pm

GBW wrote:It's a great book and I'd recommend you get it...

https://www.john.chapman.name/pub-aawt.html

Available at some of the outdoor retailers also.

There's a new edition out which I haven't seen.

Thanks mate
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GBW » Thu 02 Nov, 2023 7:01 pm

Camminata wrote:
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The AAWT markers with their characteristic yellow triangles are attached to trees up along the ridge tops along that route.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look, it's 2023. Can't they be solar powered with a little LED flasher?
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Thu 02 Nov, 2023 7:09 pm

GBW wrote:
Camminata wrote:
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The AAWT markers with their characteristic yellow triangles are attached to trees up along the ridge tops along that route.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look, it's 2023. Can't they be solar powered with a little LED flasher?

:P :lol:
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 04 Nov, 2023 6:54 am

That stretch over Square Top and down to the saddle with Clear has always been vague and poorly marked. last time I walked it, the only marker was on a fallen tree and I only saw that because I'd dropped the pack and was digging a cathole by said fallen tree.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Cammo » Sat 02 Dec, 2023 4:21 pm

Looking to do this circuit in January. Plan to start at the bottom of Nobs Track, up via the MVO track to Mt. Clear then round to High Cone, The Nobs and back down to car.
Have been across this section of AAWT couple of times before in good & bad weather. Understand this circuit is approx 22k.
Other info - will camp night before at Upper Jamieson Hut, can travel light and can travel quick. Will be in a party of 3.

My question is has anyone completed this particular circuit in a day & if so how long did it take to complete?

TIA
Cammo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Sun 03 Dec, 2023 10:46 am

Cammo wrote: Plan to start at the bottom of Nobs Track, up via the MVO track to Mt. Clear then round to High Cone, The Nobs and back down to car.

My question is has anyone completed this particular circuit in a day & if so how long did it take to complete?

Yes. Don't remember. Back at the car late afternon, I think, maybe 5pm.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Biggles » Sun 03 Dec, 2023 11:03 am

Up via Nobs Track, or via Clear Creek Track further along?
That is the most direct, but also the worst if bad weather sets in; it is also an ice-skating passage in winter. I know, bum-skied all the way down in 2009!! Full traverse as described can be between 8 to 10 hours in winter; summer — take all the time you want with the longer daylight, which will fade around 9.30pm-ish, by which time you should be on Brocks Road and pretty much complete — with a few good pics of the assorted snakes that will be enjoying the scenery too. When we did it, car was left in a small clearing, just before the washed-away bridge over the North Jamieson River (rebuilt 2 years later with a very sturdy affair).
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ironfox » Thu 18 Jan, 2024 8:54 pm

Nice report and pics Camminata. I completed this loop as a fast and light day walk on 27th Dec 2023. Parked near intersection of Nobs and Mt Clear Tk. Yep - length is about 23km and it took me just under 6 hours (with minimal breaks). Quite overgrown on approach to High Cone and the top of Square Top has knee high shrubs and regrowth covering the foot pad requiring a little concentration. I loved the walk back down Mt Clear Tk as it gives you full views of the peaks and ridges you have just hiked which is rewarding. I started with 2L of water and found plenty running onto and across the top of Mt Clear Tk but this was after rain and would usually be dry I would presume.
Ironfox
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 27 Mar, 2024 7:51 pm

BTAC tell me that they have cleared the AAWT from The Twin Nobs to Square Top or thereabouts.
It was a huge effort to reach a remote area and cart in power tools, fuel and then separately pack hike
in camping gear. Then they could start work clearing the track.
The Park Ranger is planning to install a rain water tank on the AAWT on the side of the Nobs.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Previous

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes