Flaggy Creek Gorge

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Flaggy Creek Gorge

Postby davidfisher71 » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 5:51 pm

On June 13th I visited Mount Lawson State Park (about an hour east of Albury, near Thologolong) and did the return walk to Flaggy Creek Gorge. This was my second trip.

The walk starts near the Kurrajongs picnic area. Here is the sign at the track head:

sign 1.jpg
sign 1.jpg (276.32 KiB) Viewed 6530 times

sign 2.jpg
sign 2.jpg (236.02 KiB) Viewed 6530 times

As the sign says, it is a bit strenuous, with a narrow track that can be slippery in spots. It is fairly well marked though. Here's the vertical profile (the elevation is not accurate):

profile.jpg
profile.jpg (51.97 KiB) Viewed 6530 times

The first 1.5 km is an ascent to Valley View, which was a sea of mist at the beginning but clear on the way back.

valley view misty.jpg
valley view misty.jpg (223.47 KiB) Viewed 6530 times

valley view clear.jpg
valley view clear.jpg (369.29 KiB) Viewed 6530 times

The Valley View area is a great spot for a break.

valley view.jpg
valley view.jpg (371.35 KiB) Viewed 6530 times

The trail then follows the ridge down to a saddle. There were a couple of lyre birds singing beautifully; I heard them in the same area last time too. Someone else reported the same thing. There are great acoustics -- you can hear them across the valley.

At the saddle there is another track crossing at right angles, down to the left and right, which is not shown on the map.

The track then climbs fairly steeply to The Oaks -- presumably she-oaks (casuarinas), though I didn't notice many. The mist lifted for a bit:

near the oaks.jpg
near the oaks.jpg (419.66 KiB) Viewed 6530 times

The trail heads down for quite a while, and at the bottom there is a view over the gorge (with a "Danger -- Cliff Edge" sign). You can hear the river roaring down below.

flaggy creek gorge view.jpg
flaggy creek gorge view.jpg (230.09 KiB) Viewed 6530 times

After some more ups and downs the track finally emerges at Flaggy Creek Gorge. It's a beautiful area with a waterfall and cascades, and it's a lot of fun to hop around the rocks. I'm sure people swim in the pools in summer.

flaggy creek gorge 1.jpg
flaggy creek gorge 1.jpg (340.75 KiB) Viewed 6530 times

flaggy creek gorge 2.jpg
flaggy creek gorge 2.jpg (416.71 KiB) Viewed 6530 times

A tough but rewarding walk; definitely recommended. Start the walk early to have plenty of time at the gorge.
davidfisher71
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Flaggy Creek Gorge

Postby neilmny » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 7:07 am

Looks like a very nice walk to a beautiful spot David.
Nice report and pcitures. Thanks for posting.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes