Mt Bogong 05 Dec 20

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Bogong 05 Dec 20

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 06 Dec, 2020 7:46 am

I had another crack at the Big fella.
This report will not be very informative, it's more of a therapeutical debriefing. :)

I Stayed the night at Mountain Creek campground, decided to sleep in car, which wasn't smart.
Hard to get comfortable in the car, and some folks who arrived after dark decided they needed a campfire, and were walking around the edges of the campground with headlamps on full blair at regular intervals was required to source fuel until 1 am.
I heard what sounded like a demented bull calling out a few times, which I assume was a Sambar Buck doing what ever it is Sambar Bucks do.

The good think about being uncomfortable was I woke up about 4am. So, I dedided to grab my gear and head along mountain creek road to go up Eskdale spur, figuring that by the time I got there, it would be daylight.
IMG_2421 - shrunk.jpg
All set to go.

I didn't fancy walking up staircase in the pre-dawn.
I had a snack at the Eskdale Spur trailhead after a quick climb on the track that shortcuts from Mountain Creek road to Camp Creek Gap.
IMG_2435 - shrunk.jpg
Eskdale Spur trailhead/Camp Creek Gap.

Climbing up, I went pretty slow, even for me, so I wouldn't 'blow out' and feel like I couldn't breathe and stop all the time.

So the time it took to get up the hill was a long, but it worked as I didn't stop-start all the way up, but shuffled along well until near Michell hut.
I was starting to feel stuffed when I got there after about 2 and half hours of climbing (about a km an hour!) from Camp Creek Gap.
I had a snack and spoke to some guys there, who were heading down the mountain.
NHXE1416 - shrunk.jpg
Michell Hut

They said the dodgy weather coming along in the arvo could mean I'd be stuck at Cleve Cole hut all Sunday with the wind howling over the summit plateau at 100km plus.
The thought of staying two nights and missing work on Monday appealed.....
I'd been checking the weather for Falls creek and trying to get a good forecast for Mt Bogong from Meteye, and it didn't seem that horrendous, but they seemed confident of their information.
Not being an Alpine expert, and with my partner already warning me about the weather, I took the coward's attack (retreat) and decided to summit and then head back down after.
This decision, of course, rendered my tent, sleeping mat, quilt, raincoat, rainpaints, cooking gear, etc all dead weight.
I was lugging them up the hill for no reason.

Anyway, the walk after Michell hut was a slog. I was already pretty stuffed, so when it got to above the treeline.
It was stop start - I wasn't blowing too hard, just not much energy.
IMG_2453 - shrunk.jpg
The camera distorts, in reality this is a vertical cliff face....

A few folks just skipped past me, I hope they started from Granite Flat or something, that wouldn't make it so bad...
I managed to drag my fat butt up to the summit plateau, and then onto the summit.
PZQT8642 - shrunk.jpg
Only real photographers include their finger in a image.

It felt like an achievement to reach the summit.
Once above the treeline, you can see mountains in all directions, I saw a plateau to the North East, which I wondered if it was the main range of the Snowys. Probably not.
Feathertop looked like an arrow head from the summit area.
I've read the view is a bit 'meh', but I thought it was pretty good, and would've liked to head over to West-Peak for a look as well. Maybe some other time.

A quick photo, snack, stand on side of Cairn to briefly be highest person in Victoria, and then down the Staircase spur.
IMG_2469 - shrunk.jpg
The way down

People had told me the Staircase wasn't as steep as Eskdale, but I think they were just trying to make me feel better.
IMG_2484 - shrunk.jpg
Eskdale spur, pretending to be not steep to lure unsuspecting bushwalkers.

It was a struggle with tired legs, and I slipped on my *&%$#! a few times going down, but no injuries, and the rain started just at the bottom of the spur.
IMG_2488 - shrunk.jpg
Bivy Hut

I got a bit wet, but all good, changed back at car an long drive back to Melbourne, with plenty of stops when fatigue was getting to me....

I'm impressed by how fit some people are, basically skipping up and down paths that are steep and a bit treacherous for me.
I was getting passed by people going up or down, who seemed to be strolling in the park.
I walked basically from 4:15 am to 4:30 pm. I reckon I walked at least 10 of those 12 hours.
On the way down, I think I swore off hiking a few times, with muscle ache, fatigue, blisters, chafing, and potential DOMS.
But that'll all heal, and I'm sure I'll imagine the next hike will be a breeze and foolishly bite off more than I can chew again...
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Bogong 05 Dec 20

Postby north-north-west » Sun 06 Dec, 2020 8:44 am

There are two reasonably extensive high plateaux northeast of Bogong - Davies Plain and the Main Range. Unless they're smothered by cloud both are easily visible from the summit.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 06 Dec, 2020 9:06 am

north-north-west wrote:There are two reasonably extensive high plateaux northeast of Bogong - Davies Plain and the Main Range. Unless they're smothered by cloud both are easily visible from the summit.

Cool! So it's was possible.

I think this photo has the plateau
IMG_2449 - shrunk.jpg
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Sun 06 Dec, 2020 9:16 am

Great effort and nice report Baeng72. You had quite a day. Don't let those annoying gazelles who don't seem to notice there is a very steep and long hill bother you.
Come to think of it they really get up my nose :roll:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bigkev » Sun 06 Dec, 2020 11:26 am

Good report Baeng, I'm built for comfort and not speed too... I feel your pain :wink:
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 06 Dec, 2020 12:40 pm

Thanks for your comments NNW,neilmy, and BigKev.
I'm certainly not built for speed these days, but I got there.

IMG_2489 - cropped.png
A long day's walk.
IMG_2489 - cropped.png (370.92 KiB) Viewed 15073 times
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GregG » Sun 06 Dec, 2020 4:21 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
I Stayed the night at Mountain Creek campground, decided to sleep in car, which wasn't smart.
Hard to get comfortable in the car, and some folks who arrived after dark decided they needed a campfire, and were walking around the edges of the campground with headlamps on full blair at regular intervals was required to source fuel until 1 am.
I heard what sounded like a demented bull calling out a few times, which I assume was a Sambar Buck doing what ever it is Sambar Bucks do.

The good think about being uncomfortable was I woke up about 4am. So, I dedided to grab my gear and head along mountain creek road.

Hey Baeng, its a funny thing, I had an almost identical experience a little while ago on the Clyde in NSW, except my late arrivals also had one of those wonderful little blue-tooth thingies that allowed them to broadcast their fave music through the campsite while they crashed around looking for firewood and than argue about how to put up their tent. Like you I had a bad night and decided to pack-up and head off at piccaninny dawn. You can imagine my embarassment when I accidentally dropped all my cooking gear (a few times) and then unintentionall tripped over their guy lines, I sincerely hope I did not disturb those ***** . Fortunately my car was parked nowhere nearby.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 06 Dec, 2020 5:11 pm

GregG wrote:You can imagine my embarassment when I accidentally dropped all my cooking gear (a few times) and then unintentionall tripped over their guy lines, I sincerely hope I did not disturb those ***** . Fortunately my car was parked nowhere nearby.

Accidents will happen at the most unfortunate time! Thanks for the comment GregG.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Mon 07 Dec, 2020 6:36 am

I actually think this is a great triumph. You certainly made the right decision to return. Falls Creek had 47mm on Saturday to Sunday 9am and temps now are just in the positive. It is still raining and another 18mm yesterday. Winds have been terrible also and enough to blow a tent away. We were supposed to be heading up BHP today but have decided to cancel. As for fast people, having been one of them at one stage, I have learnt to appreciate the view more. The trick is always to have a camera handy and when you stop for a breath do a 360, soak up the view and take a picture.
Doing a climb like this with all your gear is also a great mental achievement. You know you can do it. As for rude people at camp, I have found that at Mountain Creek before and many other places. One morning a bunch of locals turned up before dawn to run up Bogong with the door slamming and loud talk going on for ages. Retribution is always in the back of the mind but I figure it will come back to them one day down the track (maybe sooner).
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 07 Dec, 2020 7:23 am

Xplora wrote: As for fast people, having been one of them at one stage, I have learnt to appreciate the view more. The trick is always to have a camera handy and when you stop for a breath do a 360, soak up the view and take a picture.

Why do you think I take so many *&%$#! photographs?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Mon 07 Dec, 2020 7:54 am

north-north-west wrote:
Xplora wrote: As for fast people, having been one of them at one stage, I have learnt to appreciate the view more. The trick is always to have a camera handy and when you stop for a breath do a 360, soak up the view and take a picture.

And would it also be a good reason for solo walking? No pressure to keep up. No guilt because you can't. Nobody to hear you whinging. I think I am pretty unfit just now but still manage to get up and down the hills. Maybe living in the mountains helps. The other thing I tell people when they feel bad about being puffed going up a hill in the mountains is the affect of altitude. I know it is not Everest but for people used to exercising at low altitudes there can be a noticeable effect at 1800m. It is a good excuse anyway.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 07 Dec, 2020 7:59 am

Xplora wrote:
north-north-west wrote:

And would it also be a good reason for solo walking? No pressure to keep up. No guilt because you can't. Nobody to hear you whinging. I think I am pretty unfit just now but still manage to get up and down the hills.

That's a big part of it. You do your own walk, your way. The only pressure is what you put on yourself for your reasons. True freedom.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 07 Dec, 2020 8:42 am

Thanks XPlora & NNW.
I took a lot of photos. Probably not as many as walking up Bungalow Spur, where the photo excuse was used extensively to get my breath back.
I was alone this time, which took the pressure off worrying about/motivating my 10 year old.
He got up Bungalow, but passed on further trips like that.

I like the excuse of altitude, does it count at 1100m?

I fell on the way down, slipped and landed on my butt, but the backpack protected me from anything sharp, and then had almost simultaneous cramps in both legs.
I thought I was alone, so was verbalising a bit.
This lady who'd I'd passed flying up the track near the Gadsen memorial appeared behind me just after my outbursts and looked very concerned.
I felt a bit embarrassed having let out a yelp, then running commentary on the cramp situation with added expletives. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 11 Dec, 2020 11:23 pm

An attempt at a video of this trip: https://youtu.be/aSgd9E5jOLU
Someone on this site mentioned that bushwalkers should use Spaghetti Western music, so I quickly mashed up a poor homage to the Maestro for the soundtrack.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 12 Dec, 2020 5:22 pm

Take ORS sachets ( rehydration salts) and mix them into your drinking water. Going up The NW spur on Mt. Feathertop, Hannel's spur NSW, The T spur etc. they are so good. You did well . Now you should give the T spur &/or the Quartz ridge a go.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes