Trip Report - Pretty Valley to Feathertop 3 day circuit

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Trip Report - Pretty Valley to Feathertop 3 day circuit

Postby PedroArvy » Fri 01 Jan, 2021 8:42 am

Here's a trip report from a recent (December 28-30, 2020) circuit from Pretty Valley to Dibbins Hut, Mt Loch, the Razorback, Feathertop, Diamantina Sour, Blair Hut, Weston’s Hut and back to Pretty Valley. On the way, I met http://www.bushwalk.com celebrity Meandering Fly Fisher, as well as some other characters.

A few notes to myself on some gear observations on this hike:

1. The Dan Durston X-Mid 1P is nice but I would not use it in areas of high wind e.g. Main Range or exposed Tassie. The unsupported length of fabric could cause problems. In addition, the guy lines need replacing as a lady tripped over mine breaking it. Plus it’s also a bit thin for ideal tightening and the wrong colour for easy view. Any recommendations?

2. The main pegs with the Dan Durston X-Mid 1P bent. They need to be turfed and replaced with MSR ground hogs.

3. A tube of 125ml sunscreen would last 4 days of very generous usage

4. Bullets in a bag of cashews and almonds tend to melt and spread their chocolate coating on the nuts which is OK but not ideal. Keep sweets in a separate zip lock bag and perhaps avoid bullets altogether.

5. A thin MacPac woolen thermal combined with an Arcteryx Atom AR is not warm enough to keep me toasty standing around at 7 degrees with a light wind. Of course, I could always huddle in my shelter but that’s a bit boring. Will have to up my thermals or wear a thicker down jacket.

6. Having a daily shower is an excellent idea. Very few hikers seem to do this. I’ll need to make a video on it.

7. To dry your shelter quickly, wipe it down with your washcloth in the morning. This will remove most of the condensation and will dry it out significantly faster.

8. An ultralight chair is not necessary if there are seats at huts or logs at campsites.

9. As suspected, a head torch is totally unnecessary even if you need a midnight toilet break.

10. Don’t hike more for more than 5 hours a day of walking time. Instead, take better food, wine, scotch, and a bit more cooking gear so I can kill more time with gourmet cooking.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Trip Report - Pretty Valley to Feathertop 3 day circuit

Postby neilmny » Fri 01 Jan, 2021 9:09 am

Ah yes the 5 minute blues, every time, even on an evening walk after work until the blood starts flowing properly and my lazy *&%$#! kicks into gear.
It's what the hell am I doing then the endorphins wake up and the sun shines again. :lol:

Nice work on the report and the video is a cracker. Classic PedroArvy :wink:
Last edited by neilmny on Fri 01 Jan, 2021 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby oldpiscator » Fri 01 Jan, 2021 9:44 am

Brilliant report - loved it and jealous of his ability.
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Paul willow » Sat 02 Jan, 2021 1:31 am

Thanks for the video. Being in WA its videos like this that show me areas I have never been and know little about.

I totally agree with your idea, it's the pain on a hill or after a long day that I enjoy. The nature is secondary at that point.

How far was the hike in total?
Paul willow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby PedroArvy » Sat 02 Jan, 2021 7:52 am

PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 02 Jan, 2021 7:53 am

Funny stuff.I like your videos. I bumped into Italian John/[ Giovanni ?] at Fitzgerald hut this week, the fellow who walked with you up Mt. Bogong in one of your videos .I have trekked all of those routes a number of times but not always in one trip. You could have skipped the Mt.Hotham road bash by walking over the summit from the Mt. Loch car park. The track pops out near the Diamantina hut.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Sat 02 Jan, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby surly 17 » Sat 02 Jan, 2021 9:51 am

Great video, the XMid 1P can handle some good wind, I was on the helicopter pad at Bogong saddle a couple of weeks ago on a very windy night with a less than optimal pitch and the X Mid was great, first thing I did was change all the guy lines to 2mm Lawson Ironwire perfect for the job.
surly 17
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby PedroArvy » Tue 05 Jan, 2021 7:48 pm

Where can I buy the 2mm Lawson iromwire?
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 06 Jan, 2021 7:49 am

PedroArvy wrote:Where can I buy the 2mm Lawson iromwire?

I got mine from TierGear, but they seem to be out of stock currently. Maybe email Simon and see if he'll be getting more in?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby PedroArvy » Wed 06 Jan, 2021 2:44 pm

How about this product, is it the same thing?

REFLECTIVE GLOWIRE X 15M

https://www.tiergear.com.au/shop/diy-su ... -line-loks

PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby PedroArvy » Wed 06 Jan, 2021 3:01 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I bumped into Italian John/[ Giovanni ?] at Fitzgerald hut this week, the fellow who walked with you up Mt. Bogong in one of your videos.

That was my first ever video. John mentioned he saw you. He thinks he is a movie star now :lol:
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby indented » Thu 07 Jan, 2021 6:46 am

PedroArvy wrote:54km. You can see the route here https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/rou ... sterMeters

Great video, looks like a really fun track! Trying to view the route but it appears to be private.
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby surly 17 » Thu 07 Jan, 2021 7:45 am

Glow wire is good, I would have got that but Tier Gear only had the iron wire at the time.
surly 17
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby +dj_hansen+ » Thu 07 Jan, 2021 2:08 pm

Thanks for the video, and the laughs! :)
+dj_hansen+
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Tue 12 Jan, 2021 5:57 pm

Back to reality and internet now after drowning my phone on a subsequent trip a few days back.
Hardly a celebrity but was expecting to see Rob and Tom at the hut.Flyfishers will know what I am on about.The more leisurely hike along Dungeys track is a quicker and easier way to get to Blairs and agree it is a wonderful campsite.I thought you would have mentioned the running water at Westons.
Overall a very enjoyable video and even better trip.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 12 Jan, 2021 8:05 pm

MeanderingFlyFisher wrote:Back to reality and internet now after drowning my phone on a subsequent trip a few days back.
Hardly a celebrity but was expecting to see Rob and Tom at the hut.Flyfishers will know what I am on about.The more leisurely hike along Dungeys track is a quicker and easier way to get to Blairs and agree it is a wonderful campsite.I thought you would have mentioned the running water at Westons.
Overall a very enjoyable video and even better trip.

They took the long way round to get there but it was all for the video. A bit like their walk up to Ritchies hut. I am having a cracker season. Busted off again today. Every day this week has been different. One day on the nymph and the next on the dry. You should try Swindlers Creek next time. Not far from where you were.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 3:27 pm

Xplora, thanks for mentioning Swindlers Creek. That's given me an idea for a walk in a similar area, but travelling in the opposite direction. Putting together information from about half a dozen relatively recent posts, my planned route is:

Brandy Ck Tk, Swindlers Gap, Cobungra Gap, Blairs, Westons, up to the pole line, etc.

However, one map I've seen shows Dungeys Tk being overgrown between the end of Brandy Ck Tk and Cobungra Gap. Is that correct? I have not previously walked in this area, so any tips are welcome.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 20 Jan, 2021 6:20 am

peregrinator wrote:Xplora, thanks for mentioning Swindlers Creek. That's given me an idea for a walk in a similar area, but travelling in the opposite direction. Putting together information from about half a dozen relatively recent posts, my planned route is:

Brandy Ck Tk, Swindlers Gap, Cobungra Gap, Blairs, Westons, up to the pole line, etc.

However, one map I've seen shows Dungeys Tk being overgrown between the end of Brandy Ck Tk and Cobungra Gap. Is that correct? I have not previously walked in this area, so any tips are welcome.

See PM
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ggorgeman » Wed 20 Jan, 2021 9:20 am

Thanks for the report Pedro, definitely taking things to a new level with the video. Very enjoyable indeed.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Wed 20 Jan, 2021 3:22 pm

Sorry, PedroArvy, I meant to also say thanks for your report that sparked my interest. Good to see another Aarn user. And have you found an ingenious use of an Aarn front pocket as a camera mounting point? That could spark off an increase in Aarn sales to walkers wanting to record their journeys.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby PedroArvy » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 8:32 am

I use the expedition front pockets with my Featherlite Freedom. The front pockets they come with are a bit too small IMO. The more you can put in there the better to offset weight on the back of the pack. I would never use the pockets as a camera mounting point, there'd be too much jostling for that. In fact, if there's one unnecessary thing I'd like to get it's a gimble to steady moving footage.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 11:07 am

Nice job!
Hey Pedro, do you have any gimble type or model in mind? For a smart phone or DSLR?
Hand held, or mounted somehow?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 11:27 am

peregrinator wrote:

The track is vague between Brandy ck and Swindlers ck but just follow the cobungra upstream as it is very easy going.Dungeys track follows Swindlers creek upstream before crossing the creek and heading up and over swindler gap.I haven't been over the gap but would assume it would be doable as Dungeys track can be found in may spots along the Cobungra heading towards Omeo.All you have to do is get above the gorge a couple of km below Dibbins which is easy going.I would even imagine following the Cobungra all the way from Brandy Creek is doable if you don't mind getting a bit wet in the river.Sounds like a great route.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes