Great Dividing Trail- Bendigo to Bacchus Marsh, May 2022

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Great Dividing Trail- Bendigo to Bacchus Marsh, May 2022

Postby safari » Sun 08 May, 2022 4:00 pm

Throwing out a heartfelt high five for this underrated trail system so easily accessible from Melbourne. Around 200km.
Wandered along Southbound from Bendigo over 8 days taking my time, enjoying short hiking days and clear weather with absolutely no one else on the track.
Great wildlife sightings, super quiet camping (well, there was no one around to play bad boy bogan and mess up the serenity), friendly trail towns, brilliant signage and simple train access at the Northern and Southern terminus'. Distinct lack of trash was a highlight and if you like mineral springs there are a few to sample on the walk. I stealth camped above Hepburn Springs in a sweet spot and watched the stars and endured the local dogs barking, bark bark bark!
Lederderg State Park is quite lovely, very lush and great singletrack. Definitely the highlight.

Water was a luxury and the lack of it kept things exciting enough. There are taps when necessary and the Lederderg River at the end. There were no gnarly road walks except for the last push into Bacchus Marsh where I jumped into a public toilet cubicle and slept the night, classy as right. :D I was woken at 9pm when the security guy attempted to 'lock' the door except he didn't do a stirling job and I was free to escape and hop on the train to Melbourne next morning.

Definitely recommended (the hike, not being a cheapskate and crashing the night in a dunny) and a great change from my local tracks here in Tasmania that are heaving with people and cameras and drones. Way too many rules and tourists.

Love these trails in Victoria, thank you to the volunteers who maintain them and dream them up and fight for their existence. You help make mine more meaningful.

Peace.

Blog post soon.
the worst thing that can happen to a man, is he becomes civilised
David Goggins
safari
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Great Dividing Trail- Bendigo to Bacchus Marsh, May 2022

Postby Eremophila » Sun 08 May, 2022 5:43 pm

Thanks for the report Safari.

Are you able to say where else you camped? Friends and I were looking at parts of the GDT recently, the lack of water looked to be a pain in the butt, as did the possibility of bogans between Daylesford and Bacchus Marsh.

Photos??

Whoops just saw you will be posting to your blog soon. Look forward to reading.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 09 May, 2022 7:35 am

It’s a great trail and also very easy to do in smaller stages.

A favourite of mine is to drive to Castlemaine, walk to Bendigo then take the train back to Castlemaine.
ChrisJHC

Postby safari » Tue 31 May, 2022 3:37 pm

Hey cheers for the positive comments Eremophila and ChrisJHC, it's an understated trail network that for some reason flys under the radar. I've posted a blog post and a few pics

www.safarihiker.com

Off soon to play on the Heysen Trail again for 5 or 6 weeks. ✌️
the worst thing that can happen to a man, is he becomes civilised
David Goggins
safari
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu 02 Jun, 2022 4:53 pm

I've ridden from Castlemaine to Ballarat on a fair bit of this track and agree, it's a real treasure. Great camping. Nice and peaceful
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 02 Jun, 2022 6:34 pm

Thanks for the report!
I'm interested in finding out more about the Blackwood to Bacchus Marsh section of the Lerderderg track.
I got the map from the GDT folks, a bit underwhelming for the price and not really detailed, but I guess I'd take topo maps on the iphone anyway.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes