Grampians - Roses Gap - Longpoint West/East Loop - Return

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Grampians - Roses Gap - Longpoint West/East Loop - Return

Postby oldsalt671 » Sun 24 Sep, 2023 5:43 pm

A short summary of our hike 23-24 September 2023

Pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAVWrS

Day 1 - Roses Gap - Longpoint East 20 km 6 hrs

Left Roses Gap and climbed via Beehive Falls up to the main GPT Track. Side trip to Brigg's Bluff and Mt Difficult. Tank and toilets at Longpoint West were good but campsites uninspiring. Guess we have been spoiled doing the GPT a couple of years ago. We had dinner at LPW and then decided to go the extra 20 mins to Longpoint East, well worth it but take water if you are travelling in Summer. We were lucky enough to have a small trickle across the track just back from the campsite. We cowboy camped to get a quick get away.

Day 2 - Longpoint East to Roses Gap 10 km 3 hrs

This was a good challenging morning. The track was quite overgrown departing LPE but thins out after 20 mins or so of climbing. The track then steepens on the descent and is quite rocky and nav becomes a little harder as markers are few and far between. You then pick up the main GPT trail and back track to Roses Gap. An enjoyable morning

If we did it again we would come up via troopers but having already done the GPT we wanted to see what the country was like from Beehive Falls
oldsalt671
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Carnot Group, Scouts Victoria
Region: Victoria

Re: Grampians - Roses Gap - Longpoint West/East Loop - Retur

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 24 Sep, 2023 6:01 pm

Nice one!
I did that same loop, but in reverse a couple of years ago. I found the climb up from just after where you leave the GPT a bit on the hard side. How was coming down it?
I walked past Long Point East (there was plenty of water just before the camp), and nearly stopped at Long Point West, but pushed on, had a quick break at the summit and checked out the GPT setup before it was officially open, and ended up camping at Mud(hut) creek near the Briggs Bluff Turnoff.
It was a pretty quick return from their to Roses Gap the next day.
I'd like to try from Troopers, following the old way up, if it exists, one day.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby oldsalt671 » Sun 24 Sep, 2023 6:35 pm

Spot on, there is a decent stream by Grampians standards about 5 minutes up the track from LPE. Included this on the first attempt at posting but the website timed out and I lost the entire post. Need to remember to make my notes externally and then copy paste. There was also decent water after the descent following LPE. The Grampians are awesome in September, the wild flowers were amazing
oldsalt671
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Carnot Group, Scouts Victoria

Postby ggorgeman » Wed 27 Sep, 2023 10:25 am

Thanks so much for the trip report, Oldsalt. Really enjoyed reading the report and flicking through the pics. The various loops up there (including, but not limited to GPT) are fantastic, my favorite area. I'm a bit perplexed by the effort Parks have gone to at Long Point West as my sense is that most of the foot traffic is now on the GPT. I'm also interested in the extent to which the 'old' trail/s become overgrown etc with less traffic.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes