Bogong Alpine Area Track clearing. October 2023.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Bogong Alpine Area Track clearing. October 2023.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 30 Oct, 2023 3:10 pm

https://bushwalkingvictoria.org.au/btac/
Hi
You can read a trip report and see photos at this web link.
See Below.

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/bogon ... 023.94052/
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.
Region: Victoria

Re: Bogong Alpine Area Track clearing. October 2023.

Postby Camminata » Mon 30 Oct, 2023 4:19 pm

Nice productive few days, will be passing thru T & D spurs post cup wkend on a 4 day loop , may even check out cairn creek hut. :)
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 30 Oct, 2023 4:23 pm

The more people who visit Cairn Creek hut the better. We need a solid foot pad to be maintained.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 06 Nov, 2023 11:00 am

I can confirm excellent track clearing work on Dwayne Spur.
T-Spur had a log or two, I think above T-Spur anyway, but otherwise nice.
Chain still intact, water just above the knee, or mid-thigh.
Hard work those 2, so not having to find the track or step over/under/around stuff that wants to scratch or trip you up is nice.
I didn't check out Cairn Creek, but spoke to a guy half-way down Granite Spur track who had stayed there, and said it was cleared on the 28th, so maybe I was annoying someone who frequents this site or Ski.com?
Granite Spur track is pretty good too, just a few logs. BIg River firetrail just had a snake.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 06 Nov, 2023 1:34 pm

Are you confusing Granite Flat Spur track with The Quartz Ridge walking track ?. If you are walking the loop that takes in Big River Firetrail up Timm's spur and have already walked down Duane Spur and up The Tee Spur then I think you may have got the names mixed up. Granite Flat spur is a good place to start a walk on Mt. Bogong but it's on the other side of the Massif from Cairn Creek Hut.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 06 Nov, 2023 1:41 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Are you confusing Granite Flat Spur track with The Quartz Ridge walking track ?. If you are walking the loop that takes in Big River Firetrail up Timm's spur and have already walked down Duane Spur and up The Tee Spur then I think you may have got the names mixed up. Granite Flat spur is a good place to start a walk on Mt. Bogong but it's on the other side of the Massif from Cairn Creek Hut.

I think you'll find Granite is mostly Quartz, with some Mica and Feldspar. So, Tomahto, Tomayto.
Yep, very confused, but in my defense, the bloke I was speaking to, had started his walk from Granite Spur, spent the night at Cairn Creek, and when I spoke with him it was on Quartz ridge.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 06 Nov, 2023 1:56 pm

I think you are confused but you are having fun and you must have made it over the Mt. Bogong Summit ridge to reach the Quartz Ridge walking track. It is scenic is it not? Did you camp at the Old Helipad or just near
the water source opposite the Quartz Ridge Intention book?. The camp site near the Big River fire trail ford of Big River is full of leeches :-0 !
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 06 Nov, 2023 2:05 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I think you are confused but you are having fun and you must have made it over the Mt. Bogong Summit ridge to reach the Quartz Ridge walking track. It is scenic is it not? Did you camp at the Old Helipad or just near
the water source opposite the Quartz Ridge Intention book?. The camp site near the Big River fire trail ford of Big River is full of leeches :-0 !

Yeah, I confused Quartz ridge with Granite Spur, but as I said I was thinking of that guy, and he said he'd started at Granite Spur, and how it much better than Eskdale if you had a 4WD, and so, tired and whatever.....
Without putting a trip report in this thread, I started at Watchbed Creek Sat. Morning, went down Dwayne, up T-Spur, camped at Cleve Cole, arriving in heavy fog after dark. Got up to the tune of a Currawong at dawn, went to the summit down Quartz ridge, up Big River Fire Trail, and back to car just after dark. Too tired to drive, so slept in car and drove home this morning.
Here's proof of your excellent track clearing work...
dwayne-small.jpg
Dwayne Spur
dwayne-small.jpg (85.35 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 06 Nov, 2023 5:31 pm

@Baeng72
You have done a 4-5 day walk in two days. That is impressive .... and masochistic
but also you also have missed out on enjoying
some great camp sites en route at places such as Cairn Creek Hut, Bogong Creek Saddle, Roper's hut and Edmondson's hut.
I will be walking in the area later next month and I will follow a more relaxed pace over 4-5 days.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Camminata » Mon 06 Nov, 2023 5:40 pm

Its solid effort +1..... an extra day or 2 also could have walked the Grey Hills... far more interesting than BR- FT
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes