Viking Circuit

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Viking Circuit

Postby oldsalt671 » Thu 09 Nov, 2023 11:35 am

We hiked this again over Cup weekend 2023. Some short notes and time comparisons from 2021. A lot of work has been done on the AAWT section of the track. Times include breaks lunch etc

Pics including some video of the watering points
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BrPfvFTyDXzAs5vk7

1. Trail Head to Mt Speculation

Water at Macalister Springs was flowing well. A few patches of snow on the southern slopes of Howitt. The track was in good condition and quite fast through the Mt Buggery section. The rope is still in place on the first scramble on Mt Speculation. Camp Creek flowing well.

Time: 6 hrs vs 8 hrs (2021)

2. Mt Speculation to Viking Saddle

A prominent pad for the first part of the descent of Spec. Not sure but the scrub seemed thinner than last time. The GPX track leads to a gully, which is the track for the remainder of the descent onto the 4WD track above Catherine Saddle. Some excellent work was done clearing the track over the back of Mt Despair. You fly through this section now. We walked out to The Razor. Head up past the Cairn and bias left (west) to get to the top of the ridge, this way, you can avoid some of the more scrubby gullies and sets you up for the path of least resistance along the ridge.

The final section of the track between The Razor and Viking Saddle has been transformed. This used to be a commando course of fallen trees that have now been removed. The spring at Viking Saddle was flowing, but you needed a piece of bark to get a decent flow for filling bottles, etc. See the pics and video above

Mt Spec to The Razor: 3.5 hrs vs 5.5 hrs inc lunch on the way (2021)
The Razor: 1 hr vs 1 hr (2021)
The Razor to Viking Saddle: 1 hr vs 2 hrs (2021)

3. Viking Saddle to Wonnangatta River

The track up to the Viking is well-formed and doesn’t seem to have degraded. The rope seems in good condition at the climb at the top of the Viking ascent. A few cairns to guide you from the pack drop point below The Viking out to South Viking. From South Viking, we followed the cairns along the ridge. Lots of trees down as you start scrub bashing. It’s always a bit of a compromise between sticking to the GPX track and working your way around the fallen trees. We ended up “constant contouring” a little off the ridge before picking up where the trail starts to become more defined at the rocky section around 1200m. The trail definition improves as you descend further. Towards the bottom, someone had spray-painted yellow markers on the trees to guide you into the campsite.

Viking Saddle to South Viking: 3:15 hrs vs 4 hrs
South Viking Wonnangatta: 3:20 hrs vs 3:20 hrs (2021)

4. Wonnangatta River to Carpark

The river crossing was straightforward as the water level was down a bit on last time. Some cairns mark an entry into the smaller tributary crossing. We crossed and then scrambled up only to find a well-formed track. So the real crossing is probably 30m further along the track. We managed to beat all but two 4WD on Zeka Spur Track, so it pays to leave early otherwise, you are choking on dust. It was also a lot cooler than 2021 which helped with the climb

We decided to walk past the first set of ribbons that mark the start of the trail off Zeka Spur Track and go to where the GPX track shows the actual start. There is a cairn and also some ribbon here. The extra elevation gain was worth it.

Coming across the top, there is a lot of timber down. We could occasionally pick up a pad/or the remnants of the 4WD track.

Wonnangatta to Zeka Spur Turnoff: 2.5 hrs vs 3.5 hrs (2021)
Zeka Spur Turnoff to Carpark: 3.5 hrs vs 4 hrs (2021)

One of the best hikes in Victoria for my money.

Cheers

Nigel
oldsalt671
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Carnot Group, Scouts Victoria
Region: Victoria

Re: Viking Circuit

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 10 Nov, 2023 8:13 am

Nice update and info!
Sounds like a good time to do the circuit.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby oldsalt671 » Sun 12 Nov, 2023 1:32 pm

Definitely, I have heard some horror stories about this one at the wrong time of year. This area seems to suck the water out of you even in early Spring. The thought of arriving unprepared for a dry Viking Saddle later in the season is my nightmare scenario.

Edit: Also worth noting the times above are to illustrate the track improvements. It took us two hours previously to get from The Razor to the Saddle in 2021 this dropped to 1hr and a lack of cramps by clearing all that fallen timber. A massive change. Thank-you who ever you are.
Last edited by oldsalt671 on Sun 12 Nov, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldsalt671
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 12 Nov, 2023 8:21 pm

A top effort. Good photos.
BTAC are going to
clear the Zeka Spur walking track so that it will become a super walking highway. This is going to happen soon!
i.e Jan. 26-29th 2024.
Once this is completed then two sections of the Viking circuit will have been cleared within 24 months.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Mon 13 Nov, 2023 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby oldsalt671 » Sun 12 Nov, 2023 8:37 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:A top effort. Good photos.
BTAC are going to
clear the Zeka Spur walking track so that it will become a super walking highway. This is going to happen soon!
Once this is completed then two sections of the Viking circuit will have been cleared within 24 months.

Legends! Figured it must have been you guys. Will be in touch, there was definitely some “thanks be the gods and where do we send the slab” :D
oldsalt671
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 12 Nov, 2023 8:44 pm

Parks Vic. cleared the Mt. Spec. to the Viking section. Bushwalking Vic. volunteers will clear the Howitt Plains Car park to Mac. Springs and Mt. Howitt path and the Zeka spur walking track. No beer as a gift is necessary. Just go the Bushwalking Victoria website and find the "Get involved / BTAC" links. Find a working Bee that you can attend and help us to help other bushwalkers & fix the tracks in remote places.

https://bushwalkingvictoria.org.au/btac/
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LLSC » Mon 22 Jan, 2024 10:33 am

Please ignore the advice of PCV. I can send you a private message with my address to send the slab and I'll make sure it gets to those who deserve it. :lol:
LLSC
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Tue 23 Jan, 2024 4:16 pm

LLSC wrote:Please ignore the advice of PCV. I can send you a private message with my address to send the slab and I'll make sure it gets to those who deserve it. :lol:

Much better to be proactive and get the beer sent to the worksite. Really appreciate all that BTAC does.

Please don't send Carlton Draught or XXXX. They are not beer and these people are worth more than that.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 23 Jan, 2024 6:12 pm

Slight on topic.
Does anybody know or reckon the water situtation with the recent rain at VIking Saddle would be favorable?
I'm guessing Mac. Springs, Camp Creek would be fine.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby oldsalt671 » Fri 26 Jan, 2024 7:18 pm

Probably the best January I can recall. Just don’t rely on it. Even in November I would carry spare water, but running low on water is my nightmare scenario
oldsalt671
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Cammo » Fri 26 Jan, 2024 8:13 pm

Hiked up to Mt. Howitt from the carpark a couple of weeks ago. Looked pretty obvious to me that horses had been ridden through there recently. Not sure but l would have thought that was a no go, specially the section after mac springs. Make a mess of the track, and that's without the trail of poop!
Cammo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Xplora » Sat 27 Jan, 2024 7:41 am

Cammo wrote:Hiked up to Mt. Howitt from the carpark a couple of weeks ago. Looked pretty obvious to me that horses had been ridden through there recently. Not sure but l would have thought that was a no go, specially the section after mac springs. Make a mess of the track, and that's without the trail of poop!

Horse riding is allowed. Refer to Greater Alpine National Park Management Plan. The plan refers to maps but the maps are not in the pdf version. Can be hard to find the maps online but the information is in the plan. Deer hunting is also allowed in that area.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Cammo » Sat 27 Jan, 2024 8:46 am

Xplora wrote:
Cammo wrote:Hiked up to Mt. Howitt from the carpark a couple of weeks ago. Looked pretty obvious to me that horses had been ridden through there recently. Not sure but l would have thought that was a no go, specially the section after mac springs. Make a mess of the track, and that's without the trail of poop!

Horse riding is allowed. Refer to Greater Alpine National Park Management Plan. The plan refers to maps but the maps are not in the pdf version. Can be hard to find the maps online but the information is in the plan. Deer hunting is also allowed in that area.

Thanks. This is what l found. Horse pass area - dispersed. Horse camping is not permitted. Horse passes required.
It may well have been a once-off or rare allowance for them to pass through that section from mac springs as it is generally a walking track. I spoke with a horse tour operator at Craigs Hut a few weeks back and they said they had to change routes due to impossible river crossings.
Cammo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Xplora » Sat 27 Jan, 2024 1:49 pm

Cammo wrote:
Xplora wrote:

Thanks. This is what l found. Horse pass area - dispersed. Horse camping is not permitted. Horse passes required.
It may well have been a once-off or rare allowance for them to pass through that section from mac springs as it is generally a walking track. I spoke with a horse tour operator at Craigs Hut a few weeks back and they said they had to change routes due to impossible river crossings.

I was there just after a horse group had gone through. It was wet and they decided to not follow the normal track down from the spring. One group of horses made a completely new track. That is all it took. There are some places where dispersed riding will not work because it is too narrow but dispersed is certainly better for the vegetation on the ground.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 27 Jan, 2024 5:35 pm

oldsalt671 wrote:Probably the best January I can recall. Just don’t rely on it. Even in November I would carry spare water, but running low on water is my nightmare scenario

Yeah, mine too.
I came down with a lurgy, so no walking this long weekend.
Maybe in March or April...
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Mon 29 Jan, 2024 8:49 am

Baeng72 wrote:
oldsalt671 wrote:Probably the best January I can recall. Just don’t rely on it. Even in November I would carry spare water, but running low on water is my nightmare scenario

Yeah, mine too.

was up on the crosscut via sns spur, pulled the pin on second day and come back down its too hot to be lugging extra water
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 29 Jan, 2024 10:45 am

Camminata wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:

Yeah, mine too.

was up on the crosscut via sns spur, pulled the pin on second day and come back down its too hot to be lugging extra water

Good water flow at SNS campsite?
You're made of sterner stuff than I.
If I had went over the long weekend, I was gonna just slog it up Howitt Spur.
After King Spur and Strath Creek Falls, I've sort of had my fill for the moment of scrambling in the heat. :D
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Mon 29 Jan, 2024 1:13 pm

Yes good strong flow, does it ever run dry?? I reckon you are sterner mate
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby Ironfox » Wed 14 Feb, 2024 10:33 am

I completed the circuit 2 weeks ago and can confirm good flows at all major/usual sources, even Viking Saddle (rare for late Jan/Feb!). Walked in from Cobbler Lake and spent first night on Mt Spec. Started early and with ultra light pack made fast progress over Despair & Razor. This section was easier to follow than previous trips. Collected water at the saddle and up onto the Viking by mid morning. First time down Sth Viking and thanks to those who took the time to build the cairns, only a little nav wobble up high when the ridge line broadens and the vegetation is thick. Quick stop at Wonnangatta River- stunning part of the world! Had a little trouble navigating around the creek to get to Zeka Tk but not too stressful. Zeka Tk is a beast! Underestimated its length and missing the walking track didn’t help! Was thankful for a number of rivulets & small flows along the road which saved me in the heat of the afternoon (a wet summer has its advantages). GPS said 20km for the full length of Zeka! Staggered in to Mac Springs and watch showed 47km in over 12 hours for the day. Definitely bit off more than I could chew. In bed at 8pm and slept like the dead. About 3 hours back to Camp Ck and another 2 back to the car. This is a special walk in a special place.
Ironfox
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 14 Feb, 2024 10:53 am

Thanks for the report Ironfox. Nice one!
I've thought about trying the circuit starting from Cobbler Lake as it's an easier approach than from Upper Howqua (I know, you can drive for ever to get to Howitt Plains).
47km in a day, my best is 30km. That's big distance.
You really set a good pace if 3 hours from Mac. Springs to Camp Ck and then 2 hours for the 13km section from Camp Ck to Cobbler Lake!
I don't think I could walk about 7km an hour, that speed would be a jog for me. And I don't think I could jog 5km, let alone more than double. :)
I wonder if instead of Zeka, but head upstream beside the Wonnangatta and then up ridge beside Devil's Staircase to Mac Springs, about 7-8km, would be preferable to Zeka. There was a track, but I guess blackberries might be an issue.
Anyway, good one.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ironfox » Sun 18 Feb, 2024 2:34 pm

Thanks Baeng72, yep - I have seen a few older posts on this site where people have walked ‘up’ the Wonnangatta and then followed the appropriate spur up to the Devils Staircase. This would be a really interesting and inticing route but the regrowth, including beside the river is fairly imposing in such a remote section. Once committed there would be no turning back. I see on older maps that there used to be a track from Catherine Saddle that used to follow the Wonnangatta from its headwaters beneath Sth Viking.
Ironfox
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby peregrinator » Mon 19 Feb, 2024 3:54 pm

Ironfox wrote: Once committed there would be no turning back.

Nicely put. File under "educational experiences".
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 23 Feb, 2024 6:04 pm

Another way out of the Wonngatta River valley is the Dry
River track. BTAC cleared and tagged the whole thing from the confluence of Dry River and the Wonnangatta River to Guy's hut/ Bryce's gorge.
It was very hard going in the heat when we remarked and cleared the
track in January 2022(?). It is remote and not for people whose navigation skills are in their early stages.
The problem is Once you pop out at Guy's hut the walk to The Howitt Plains Car park is considerable but basically flat on the ridge top Howitt road.
Havng two cars would eliminate this as an issue in green season.
I will ask our team leader if the Zeka Spur track has been cleared yet.
. I was away skiing in Japan when they were set to do that working bee.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 08 Mar, 2024 12:49 pm

The Zeka spur walking track has not been cleared yet. The Jan.2024 BTAC
working bee was postponed due to fire risk.
Watch this space for updates on this route and its rehabilitation.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 24 Mar, 2024 10:11 am

Water situation Camp Creek - 22/03/24
camp-creek.png
Camp Creek Flow
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes