Hume and Hovell Track - March 2023

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Hume and Hovell Track - March 2023

Postby Cloudstone » Fri 09 Jun, 2023 11:16 am

HUME AND HOVELL TRACK - HHWT – Mar/Apr 2023
I walked from Yass to Albury along the HHWT during March/April 2023.
My intention was to through hike the complete HHWT but due to the current restrictions on the track that wasn’t possible. Sections between Tumut and Tumba were closed due to fire damage from the 2019/20 bushfires.
I ended up spending 18 nights on the track and a couple of rest/resupply/repositioning days in towns. In all I walked around 390 kms of the 430 km track.
I have written this to provide anyone who is interested with some useful information – essentially stuff I wished I had known before I set off.

RESOURCES
The official HHWT website/Instagram/Facebook has some useful information. There is no track angel group, volunteer group, or hiker based social media for this track. The HHWT social media is run by the NSW State Government and is focused on marketing, track updates and warnings.
I found the resources listed below much more useful.
- Safarihiker’s account on Bushwalk.com is an excellent overall account of the track. Most of what he says is still accurate and relevant. (His account is also published in Bushwalk Australia Magazine’s April 2019 edition) -
- Summitview’s account on Bushwak.com is a good, detailed account of their walking experience - https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 09#p375338.
- John and Lyn Daly’s book Take A Walk in Southern NSW is a reasonable daily guide to through hiking the HHWT (and includes a heap of other walks in NSW). Despite being published in 2012 most of the HHWT information is still pretty accurate. The guide includes information on campsite options and water availability between the official campsites. A digital version is available.
There are two sets of ‘official’ maps – both are of no value whatsoever from a hiking/navigation perspective.
- The official paper copy map pack is available from various map shops. It contains 6 foldout maps and an information brochure. The maps are not sufficiently detailed to use for navigation. They include some high-level information on the walk and campsites and some interesting historical details. They helped while away some time while sheltering in my tent during various storms.
- The digital maps available from the HHWT website are a joke – download them for a laugh.

MAPS AND NAVIGATION
I combined the NSW 1:25 digital topographic maps with the HHWT GPX file (available on the HHWT website) and loaded these into the Avenza app as I went along. The topographic maps are free to download from https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au. I have included a list of the relevant maps – North to South - below.
The track is at times not very obvious, and the signage can be very, very poor. Using the GPX file layered over the digital 1:25 maps worked really well for me – I’d say this kind of setup is essential for successfully navigating the track.

TRACK RESTRICTIONS
- 2019-20 bushfires – at the time of my walk some parts of the track were closed to walkers. This is mainly on the Tumut to Tumba section. There were massive amounts of debris fallen across the track and the threat of falling burnt trees was very real. I camped near a section of burnt mature pine forest and fell asleep listening to the burnt trees collapsing into the earth – a little nerve wracking. There is work being done by Forestry NSW to restore commercial and public access in these sections. The HHWT website will have updates on track restoration progress.
- Total Fire Ban days – on days of total fire ban all walkers must leave the track. This makes sense but would be very difficult to comply with given the poor phone reception in a lot of areas. An AM/FM radio is useful for weather updates.
- TRACK CLOSED – THE HUME AND HOVELL WALKING TRACK BETWEEN BOWNA/WYMAH ROAD AND LANKEYS CREEK CAMPSITE IS CLOSED FROM 1ST DECEMBER TO 28TH FEBRUARY DUE TO FIRE RISK. This warning sign is attached to a fence where the HHWT meets the Bowna/Wymah road. There is no mention of this on the HHWT website – none that I could find anyway. I don’t know if it is enforced – or enforceable. I would check with the HHWT website if you’re planning to walk during this period.

OTHER THINGS THAT MIGHT BE USEFUL:
- Walking schedule – I pretty much followed the schedule outlined in the John and Lyn Daly guidebook. I was in no hurry so was happy to do 5 or 6 hours in the morning then rest in the afternoon. I had two rest/resupply days in Tumut and Tumbarumba.
- Water – I didn’t treat or filter any water.
The creek water could be quite silty so I’d let it settle in one bottle then carefully decant into my second bottle. A couple of tanks had mosquito larvae which I know shouldn’t bother me given all the other crap you take on board during these hikes – but it does. So I strained this water through my sweat-stained crusty Buff!!
- Camping – I did a mix of official sites and wild camping. Most of the official sites are near to roads and 4WD tracks – can be busy and noisy.
The facilities at most of the official sites were pretty old and worn – except for Log Bridge Camp which had a new shelter. I was very happy to arrive there having walked for hours through thunderstorms and heavy rain.
Tabletop Park – the last night on the track before Albury - has signs indicating that camping is not allowed. After setting up my tent I was challenged a few times by local dog walkers. According to the HHWT website through hikers are allowed to camp here.
There were some campsites which you were supposed to book and pay for – I didn’t realise and just lobbed up. The rangers were pretty kind when I told them I was walking the whole track.
- Mosquitos – lots – take repellent.
- Weeds – blackberry and thistles – I took a pair of leather gardening gloves. Unless something is done soon parts of the track will be impassable in a few years.
- I saw no other walkers of any kind on the track. A few 4WDers and a couple of National Park rangers – other than that – no one. It’s a very solo undertaking.
- Telstra coverage is good on most of the hill tops – poor in the valleys.
- Tom’s Outdoors in Tumut is an excellent shop with very friendly helpful staff.

1:25 NSW Topo maps - available from https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au
I divided the walk into three sections rather than the HHWT’s five sections.
Section 1 Yass to Tumut
1.1 8628-2N YASS
1.2 8628-3N BOOKHAM
1.3 8628-3S CHILDOWLA
1.4 8627-4N WEE JASPER
1.5 8627-4S COURAGAGO
1.6 8627-3N BOBBYS PLAINS
Section 2 Tumut to Tumba
2.1 8527-2N LACMALAC
2.2 8527-2S BLOWERING
2.3 8527-3S WONDALGA
2.4 8526-4N BATLOW
2.5 8526-1N TALBINGO
2.6 8526-1S YARRANGOBILLY
2.7 8526-4S COURABYRA
Section 3 Tumba to Albury
3.1 8526-3N TUMBARUMBA
3.2 8426-2N MUNDEROO
3.3 8426-3N LANKEYS CREEK
3.4 8326-2N NARRA NARRA
3.5 8326-2S HOME FLAT
3.6 8326-3S MULLENGANDRA
3.7 8325-4N LAKE HUME
3.8 8225-N ALBURY

I have tried to be objective with the information above because I know there will be people like me who will have a crack at the track hoping it will be worthwhile.
Good luck.
Ax
Cloudstone
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Hume and Hovell Track - March 2023

Postby Bulli » Thu 15 Jun, 2023 2:17 pm

Great report.

Thank you so much :-)
Bulli
Nothofagus gunnii