Kanangra to Katoomba - Trip Report

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Kanangra to Katoomba - Trip Report

Postby matthewdean » Mon 18 Feb, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi guys,

I recently attempted to complete the Kanangra to Katoomba walk in less then 12 hours.

See how it went down here:
http://www.matthewdean.com.au/archives/199

Apologies in advance for any grammar and punctuation mistakes :)

Enjoy the read,
matthewdean
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Kanangra to Katoomba - Trip Report

Postby puredingo » Mon 18 Feb, 2013 9:01 pm

Great report, mate. Well done on your efforts and I can strongly relate to some of those sinking feelings you descibed, the main thing is you returned safe and sound and live to fight another day!
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 18 Feb, 2013 9:16 pm

Hey,

Nice trip report, always good to read of an adventure in that part of the Blue Mountains. I also really like those first two photos of Kanangra, such a magnificent place.

There always seems to be a bit of trouble keeping on the track South of Dex Creek. I'm not sure if you saw it, but there is a small tag nailed to a tree which points the way for the path out from the creek. If you find that and it's not too dark, you should be able to work your way through the few scrubby patches after that where the track is a bit patchy.

A 10kg pack did sound a bit heavy and might have been what caused you to slow down on some of the descents. In saying that, most of it seemed to be water! I would have aimed for closer to 3L of water as opposed to 6L, but in saying that it's just a personal preference. You can generally obtain water from three sources along the walk: Dex Creek, Kanangra Creek and Mobbs Soak. Be warned though, I walked the track late last year when it was dry and water was very minimal, only small puddles in Kanangra Creek with Dex and Mobbs pretty dry. Puri-tabs were a must.

As for Mt Strongleg, it always seems to go on forever and that red shirt has been there for over 3 months if it's the same one that I've seen before.

When crossing the Coxs, I have always been inclined to walk downstream to where it shallows off a fair bit at the base of Mt Yellow Pup. From there it's a defined horse track all the way up the ridge to Mt Yellow Dog, but others do prefer the more direct route which you followed.

Shame you didn't quite make it in your targeted time, but I guess that's just the fun of a solid challenge!
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby matthewdean » Tue 19 Feb, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks for your replies!

@Allchin09:
I must have missed the tag on the tree but thankfully the time of day made it rather easy to navigate to the right position on the ridge. I'll keep a look out for it next time. Interesting to hear about the shirt, I almost picked it up but I was sure someone had left it as a maker and I didn't want to disturb it haha.
matthewdean
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Sun 03 Mar, 2013 9:02 pm

good read mate.
You are nuts climbing up the mountain, rather than following the trail that is just down a few hundred meters from Kanangra ck.
I've done the hike from the locked gate to Konangaroo about 50 times now, love it down there.
When are you gonna try the 3 peaks? - I'm super keen to do it.
Also you can get water from the cox's - just boil or steripen/filter it.
As stated before, water can be very scarce from Cox's to Katoomba. Mobbs can be totally dry ( rare but happens from time to time), but from there, there is no water until Katoomba. At Medlow Gap there is the little dam at the gate - but it is pretty nasty, and if Mobbs is dry, then that definately will be. If you ever take water from Mobbs make sure you purify it - many,many people camp at the cave, and I have found used pads and tampons downstream. And at 3am in the morning, not many people will walk 50m up the hill to pee.
Good luck with your next trip.
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby Grabeach » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 8:17 am

Now that the hunting season is starting, Dan better lose that camouflage gear. That's assuming we'll only be shot by accident.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jeremy089786 » Thu 07 Mar, 2013 7:35 pm

Nice pics and report. Thanks for posting!
jeremy089786
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WilderWheels

Postby matthewdean » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 6:12 pm

Grabeach wrote:Now that the hunting season is starting, Dan better lose that camouflage gear. That's assuming we'll only be shot by accident.

Point taken! Thanks for all the replies.

@KANANGRABOYD:
Thanks for your comments as well! I'll shoot you a PM when we attempt the peaks again if your interested as we are looking at late spring this year for another crack. Cheers.
matthewdean
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Onestepmore » Sat 15 Jun, 2013 6:24 pm

3 peaks is on our list too :)

Edit:
Hubby says I'm a Dufus
HE wants to do 3 peaks - maybe organise to do together?
PM Haematocrit

WE want to do Yerranderie to Katoomba.

Great report
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes