Big Bugtown Hill

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Big Bugtown Hill

Postby kanangra » Sun 19 May, 2013 5:51 pm

I decided to pay a visit to this hill when I was camped down at Scofields Hut last Christmas. I set out on a beautiful day across the open Nungar Plain on Circuits Trail. First stop was Brayshaws Hut, possibly the smallest hut in the mountains with sleeping room for 2 or standing for 6! Set back from the plain at the edge of the timber this hut enjoys a beautiful setting. Behind the hut the track winds uphill to join the Boundary trail. Before long a track heads steeply up to the right. This leads to Big bugtown Hill where there is an automatic weather station and an old trig. The track continued down the mountain on the southern side so I followed it down into Bugtown. Here I picked up the Boundary Trail which as the name suggests follows the park boundary. I followed this to Goorudeee Rivulet where I stopped for lunch in the sun. From here I turned right and walked steeply back uphill to Gavells Hut on the southern edge of the plain. NB the track to the hut is not accurately mapped. Once on the crest it turns west and stays high then drops directly down to the hut. I decided to rest up here for a while as it was quite hot and the March flies were out in force. It was about 3:00 when I set off walking north around the point of a forested spur that jut out into the plain. Having nearly gone 360 degrees the track joined Circuits trail which I followed north beside an old fence line. The sun was lower now and was bathing the plain its golden light. This stretch back to Brayshaws was beautiful. I had the place to myself and for a moment was transported back in time as I imagined I was a stockman and this was my summer grazing block. Off to my right the country fell away into the upper reaches of Bugtown Ck that I had crossed much lower down earlier in the day. Away to my left was the open expanse of the plain. It was magical. Before long Brayshaws Hut came into view. I had rounded the circle leaving only the trip across the plain to go. I arrived back at Scofields just as the sun was settting, it had been a memorable day.

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Big Bugtown Hill

Postby Onestepmore » Tue 02 Jul, 2013 7:17 pm

What area is this in please?
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Big Bugtown Hill

Postby kanangra » Wed 03 Jul, 2013 3:40 pm

It is in the northern snowies. Schofield's Hut is not far from the Tantangara Dam. I guess the nearest town would be Adaminaby.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes