Boonoo Boonoo river

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Boonoo Boonoo river

Postby ofuros » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 9:24 am

This topic viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8094&p=106796&hilit=boonoo+boonoo#p106796 peaked my curiosity of a
river walk, from Boonoo Boonoo falls through to Harrigans Lane, where it fords the river.
I did the Harrigans lane to Rocky Island section a few months ago, in cold, wet conditions....now it was time to join up the dots.

A dusty brown cloud billowed in my rear view mirror, the forest to the right of the falls road had seen a burn off or bushfire
since the last time I was there.
I drove around one, then straddled a second black snake wriggling across the the road on my way in.
Both remained unscathed..dusty, but unscathed. :wink:

The unmaintained track past the falls lookout, zig-zagged gently downhill, to a couple of rocky viewing points with good views of falls &
the river valley below. From here the terrain gets very steep as it descends to a small tributary creek at the base of the falls.
Not an area for the faint hearted, or as phan-TOM alludes to in the above post....you must be confident in your scrambling abilities.

P9140003 (Medium).JPG

I stumbled out of the undergrowth, hot & sweaty, into a big, bouldery stream bed, running cool clear water,
with a big resident sunbaker warming himself on the rocks. He would have easily been a metre in length.
Around, over & under numerous large smooth boulders, I navigated my way to the base of the falls.

P9140017a (Medium).jpg

After setting up camp, I headed off downstream, rock hopping all the way to Rocky Island, about 1.5hrs away.
Keep to the right hand side, as there some nice long flat slabby sections on this side...easier on your knees, and believe me they're going to
need some easier sections ! From Rocky island it's roughly another 1 hour walk to Harrigans ford.
On the return journey I used the cattle tracks along the river bank as much as I could...my left knee was complaining about the abuse I was putting
it through.

P9140043 (Medium).JPG

P9140093 (Medium).JPG

Spotted lots of eels cruising the deep pools, on one occasion, I walked in front of one, tapped the toe of my boot on the waters surface &
it changed direction & latched onto my the toe of my boot ! Fearless buggers.

Surprised a few red bellied blacks, who were extremely fast/ agile at this time of day. Not aggressive though.

P9140084 (Medium).JPG

I swam in the deep eely pools, pummelled my aching muscles in a naturally formed jacuzzi, basked on warm rocks, encountered wildlife, friendly & dangerous....
What more could you want from an adventure. :D
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Boonoo Boonoo river

Postby ofuros » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 11:55 am

This short time edit function is really annoying the $@$^& out of me.....please, make it longer or back to the way it was. :evil:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 12:29 pm

Looks like a fun trip. Gee that tarp stands out :D .
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 2:46 pm

simonm wrote:Looks like a fun trip. Gee that tarp stands out :D .

It's just what I needed after working away for a few weeks....walking early morning laps around the work camp just isn't the same. :(

...and as for the lipstick red tarp, at least it will be easier to find in a emergency situation. :wink:
Last edited by ofuros on Tue 17 Sep, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Avatar » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 3:10 pm

Nice shot of the Eastern Water Dragon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks Avatar, he was only about a metre away.
It's hard to hold the camera steady when you've just wrestled your way out of the bushes !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby eggs » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks. Great report.
I have reached the point were I write out my description in a text editor and then copy/paste it in.
But I must admit that I only get one chance to edit a mistake or add a bit more before it locks up.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby ofuros » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks for the info, eggs. Will give that a try.
Sometimes I just want to add a bit more info to the text, or while rereading something else comes to mind...
..by that time the edit button has dissappeared.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby awildland » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks ofuros for the great post. This walk is on our list of things to do so was nice to see your pics and get an idea of what it is like.

We were thinking if we did it, we might take a small blow up boat with us - would we need one down there ?? Are the pools big enough? Mainly thinking it would help get us to the base of the falls. :D
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ofuros » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 8:07 pm

Quite dry down there at the moment, awildland. Great for walking & exploring the river valley, not so good for rafting.
It's just a series of deep pools connected by shallow bouldery sections.
Whether it's worthwhile taking a small boat, that's a choice for you to make.
On the upside, there's lot of sandy beaches left behind after the last big flood to set up a tent,
you just have to use the plentiful small boulders for tiedowns instead of tent pegs. :wink:

Here are a few more river pics to give you a better idea.

P9140053 (Medium).JPG

P9140055 (Medium).JPG

P9140066 (Medium).JPG

Harrigans Lane crossing...
P6300005 (Medium).JPG

Rocky island pool
P7010119 (Medium).JPG
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 6:12 am

Last one awildland, a crows eyes view...half way down Boonoo Boonoo falls.

P9140008 (Medium).JPG
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby awildland » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks for the extra pics! :D Just got to find the time to get up there now!
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby phan_TOM » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 2:50 pm

Great report ofuros, it's a top spot for a bit of chilling out and low-key adventure.
I was out there with friends in June and even though it's about my sixth visit there was still plenty of things to see and do, we were even silly enough to go for a swim in the platypus hole. I think it was about 5 degrees and raining... and you think a strong coffee is good for waking up :lol: I still havent been to Hairy Mans Rock though, that's on the list for next year, have you done it?
Good to see you went the extra mile to get to the bottom of the falls, it's a scramble that's well worth the effort. Nice camp site too just mind the flash floods ;)
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ofuros » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks phan_Tom,
Rock hopping along a cool waterway was a nice change from scrambling through the dry bush. 8)
No I havn't been to hairy man's..... breath taking views, coastal walks, caves, hot springs, ridgeline walks, crashed aircraft ect etc,
usually piques my interest, but it name does sound intriguing, must be a story there somewhere. :wink:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby iandsmith » Thu 14 Nov, 2013 5:08 pm

Interesting report, never been there though I've been to Bald Rock three times. Might make the extra effort one day.
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Tue 30 Dec, 2014 5:09 pm

Had a overnighter down there last weekend.
Filter, boil your or treat your water in the river valley below Harrigans ford.....lots of cows & fresh cowpats in the area.
Just a low, slow moving river at the moment. Quiet pools & gurgling rock hoppy shallows.
Numerous bushfly's plus some huge black, white spotted horseflies that I've never seen before.
1st time that i've ever filtered....no stomach complaints so the filter did it's job. :wink:
Water was warmish so picked a spot in a deeper pool & I just laid back & relaxed my tired limbs....

PC250013 (Medium).JPG
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes