Schlink Trail

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Schlink Trail

Postby dugsuth » Mon 16 Dec, 2013 7:05 am

Just got back from a quick hike on the Schlink Trail, starting at the Guthega Power Station. I originally found the trail while poring over a map with a mate and after some online searches found the very informative (as always) guide on Wildwalks. The walk was really good, from the perspective that it was a good workout (particularly at the start, it's steep uphill for around the first 3kms) but very easy to navigate, due to it being on a fire trail/access road. We passed no one on the trail walking in, but saw some people had already set up at White's Hut. We continued on to Schlink's Hut where we chatted with some cyclists who had dropped in. They warned us of a group of school kids who were headed to the hut (I actually thought they were joking, but apparently not), so that information, coupled with the disgusting amount of toilet paper waste in the adjoining grass areas meant we headed back to the saddle just behind the "Schlink Pass" sign which we had passed earlier. The spot was absolutely gorgeous, and the charred remains of a fire meant we were not the first to enjoy this spot.

Overnight we had great weather (no rain and clearish skies), but on waking the entire inside of my TT Rainbow was drenched through, as was my mates Big Agnes Copper Spur. The morning dew had been incredibly heavy so we both waited for the sun to come up to start drying out our tents. As I watched the sun rise I got to see a silvery/fawn coloured fox being harassed by two birds (looked like ravens but not sure if they're actually ravens) and a hare got within 3 metres of me before he realised I was there and shot off. All in all, a great easy walk with great views most of the walk (aside from the power lines which follow alot of this walk). Attached some pics below.
Attachments
IMG_7055.JPG
One of the many creeks you cross
IMG_7055.JPG (205.82 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
IMG_7056.JPG
Schlink Hut
IMG_7056.JPG (158.89 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
IMG_7061.JPG
White's hut from a distance
IMG_7061.JPG (189.04 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
IMG_7064.JPG
Trail
IMG_7064.JPG (217.97 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
IMG_6974.JPG
TT Rainbow and BA Copper Spur setup
IMG_6974.JPG (151.97 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
dugsuth
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Schlink Trail

Postby kanangra » Mon 16 Dec, 2013 7:56 am

Great post. thanks for sharing. Haven't been through that way for years.

Next time try the Disappointment Spur track.

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 16 Dec, 2013 12:57 pm

Nice pictures dugsuth
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby dugsuth » Tue 17 Dec, 2013 6:38 am

Thanks guys :)
dugsuth
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Onestepmore » Sat 08 Feb, 2014 6:45 pm

Nice place. On my to do list
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 09 Feb, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks for the report and pics. The last time I was at Whites River there was about 1.5 metre of snow. Did you see the light switches at Schlink? There's another nice camping spot in the bend where the Valentine Road meets, but Schlink Pass is better. Can you not camp off the road to the west, under the trees? There's a self-composting toilet at Schlink, and probably most main huts.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes