A Great Way to Start

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

A Great Way to Start

Postby cajun » Fri 16 May, 2014 10:11 pm

After a lot of advice gathering, and a few unavoidable postponements, my darling wife and I finally had a week off to start bushwalking.

We had a fantastic five days, and all the homicidal feelings that work generates have faded away.

Day 1was a trip to Jenolan caves via lunch and a tour at Norman Lindsay gallery - well worth doing. The caves area hasn't changed in over 40 years since I last visited, and the caves are still as spectacular as ever.

Day 2 we did another cave and then traveled to our B&B in Blackheath. Not sure of what the advertising rules are here, but I would be happy to recommend where we stayed via PM.

Day 3 - finally some bushwalking. 8) How good was the weather? We decided to start our "career" on some of the better known tourist trails, getting to know our gear. So from Govett's Leap we walked along the Cliff Top track to Evans lookout and then on to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and return. Some beautiful native flowers and we had a ball watching a female lyrebird scratching around totally oblivious to us. The views are amazing, and the atmosphere in the GC was so different to the rest of the walk. Only negative was a sighting of a large black feral cat, who was walking across a bridge as bold as brass. It slinked off into the bush at the end of the bridge. I carried my Canon DSLR and took plenty of photos, but was a little sore at the end of the day from the strap. A lesson learned was to have a spare shirt in the car to change into. As a special treat we saw a male Lyrebird on the way out of the carpark.

Day 4 - Govetts to Pulpit Rock and return. Brilliant weather again. Discovered that the camera lens (kit 55-250) fitted quite nicely lens down in the mesh pocket on front of my pack, no rubbing on my neck! This walk was rated med, and we loved it. Yet more amazing views, flowers and birdlife. On our return we stopped to let an elderly couple pass us, the lady looked like she was struggling, and they still had 25 minutes to the rock, and then the return journey. The last bit up to Govetts is quite steep, and I suggested (a little tongue in cheek) that they could hitch a lift back from Pulpit. We weren't really surprised (and quite pleased) to see them dropped off at the heritage centre on our return. In the afternoon a cool breeze had sprung up and was quite cold on my back (very wet from sweat). How do you snow campers deal with that! The spare shirt in the car was welcome :lol:

Today - A weather trifecta - 20 degrees in the mountains in May. :D We did the National Pass circuit. This one was a little more testing, but still totally enjoyable. Although as I sit here, our calf muscles are suggesting that it was a workout! After much advice here, I had put together a first aid kit, and got to use it when a young German lady twisted her ankle. She was walking very gingerly with 2 sticks for support and still 30 minutes - and the Grand Stairway away from their transport. So a compression bandage and a couple of paracetamol later, we left her and her boyfriend to complete their slow and painful journey. The return journey along the Undercliff Track and Shortcut track back to Conservation hut was fun and uneventful - and the coffees welcome and tasty.

Here are a couple of pics.
banksia.jpg

banksia 2.jpg
A couple of Banksias - does anyone know what species the second one is?

flower.jpg
last one

I know that most of you will have seen the vista shots from these walks before, so I won't bore you with them. :)
Last edited by cajun on Sat 17 May, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: A Great Way to Start

Postby michael_p » Sat 17 May, 2014 9:43 am

Thanks for the report. Those walks around Blackheath are very scenic and enjoyable. Glad to see you getting out on the trail.

I think the second Banksia is a Banksia Spinulosa.

Third photo is a Lambertia Formosa, commonly called a Mountain Devil (in case you where wondering about that one as well). :D

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cajun » Sat 17 May, 2014 11:12 am

Thanks for that Michael - much appreciated. It looks like it is Banksia spinulosa var. cunninghammi, also known as "Bush Candles". Certainly a striking flower.

a couple more pics from the first walk.

red.jpg

fungii.jpg
Attachments
water.jpg
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kanangra » Sat 17 May, 2014 11:47 am

Congratulations! May it be the first of many happy trips together.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cajun » Sat 17 May, 2014 6:33 pm

Many thanks. We are already looking forward to and planning the next walk. :D
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lizzy » Sat 17 May, 2014 8:11 pm

Nice one!
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby awildland » Sun 18 May, 2014 6:08 pm

great pics cajun, lovely and sharp and clear, looks like you have some nice glass (lens) on your camera! I hope we can look forward to some of your shots in the photo comp?!
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cajun » Sun 18 May, 2014 9:33 pm

Many thanks awildland :) . I have checked out your blog - how good are your photos!

I was happy with the photos I took, but they are truly flukes. One of the best features of this site are the photos, and I am very pleased that you think that these ones are good enough for the comp.

I do have a large 150-500mm lens that I had hoped to use to take cricket photos which is way too heavy for walking, but these photos were taken on the Canon kit lenses that came with the camera (18-55 and 55-250).
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby awildland » Mon 19 May, 2014 7:24 pm

well pretty good for the kit lenses! my partner craig (he's the photographer) also has a 150-500 lens and it also tends to stay at home on bush walks. Good for birdies in camp though!
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes