Prince Regents Glen (Jamison Creek)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Prince Regents Glen (Jamison Creek)

Postby jonnosan » Sun 31 Aug, 2014 8:44 pm

I have often wondered about the "Prince Regents Glen" marked on the Jamison topo.I am actually not even sure which area "Prince Regents Glen" is meant to be - the name appears in different spots on different topo editions, in some cases even appearing twice. From reading historical references I get the impression it may once have meant something like "all the parts of the Jamison Valley you can see from the top of Wentworth Falls".

Anyway I couldn't find any description online or in any of my BM walking books so today I figured I would just descend to Hippocrene Falls via Slacks Stairs and check out what Jamison Creek was like between the Don Fenella junction and the firetrail.

It was pretty easy going, especially once I made the decision very early on not to try and keep dry shoes. The banks were mostly rainforest although sclerophyll forest sections become more prevalent closer to the firetrail. At no stage was I tempted to get out the handline, although I did occasionally climb out of the creek over some ridges to avoid larger drops or boulders. Despite not finding any references online the area must get a bit of traffic because I kept seeing distinct footpads and occasional camp clearings with fire rings and log benches. There were a few nice looking swimming holes. It took me about 2.5 hrs at a leisurely pace, and including a lunch break, to get from Hippocrene Falls to the firetrail. I saw 1 water dragon, 1 leech, no snakes, no fish, no yabbies.

When I hit the firetrail, I headed East to Kedumba Valley Road, which I followed down hill for a few minutes before climbing up the ridge to take the upper half of the goat track.

This might make a good summer trip, especially if you could do a car shuffle to avoid some road bash, and exited via Sublime Point Ridge / Copeland Pass.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Prince Regents Glen (Jamison Creek)

Postby kanangra » Sun 31 Aug, 2014 9:15 pm

Interesting trip there. I've wondered about that myself.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Allchin09 » Sun 31 Aug, 2014 9:22 pm

An extract from Brian Fox's "Upper Blue Mountains Geographical Encyclopedia" which may be of interest:

Location: Northern end of Jamison Valley below Wentworth Falls to the junction of Jamison Creek with Kedumba River.
Personal Info: Named by Governor Macquarie in honour of Prince of Wales who became Prince Regent in 1811 and then King George 1V in 1820.
Date: Named during Macquarie's trip across the mountains in 1815.
Other Info: Shown on George Evans "plan of crossing mountains 1813-1814" as "The Regents Glen". Originally named as "The Prince Regents Glen". George Evan's map must have been drawn after Macquarie came back from his journey.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby Grabeach » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 7:41 am

This might make a good summer trip, especially if you could do a car shuffle to avoid some road bash, and exited via Sublime Point Ridge / Copeland Pass.

A similar trip, which avoids the car shuffle, is to go down Gladstone Pass and follow that creek to the junction with Jamison Creek.

26 years ago, so don't remember too much about the trip, but from my notes:
No falls over 2m, but 3m length of tape handy for a couple of steep banks.
GP creek pristine, not even any washed down rubbish.
Moved to convenient spur [lhs see map] for last 500m to Jamison Creek to avoid swim / deep wade. However water level highest I've ever seen in Jamison Ck, so may be okay in 'normal' weather.
Gladstone/Lindemans junction to Jamison Ck junction 2.4 hours.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jonnosan » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 8:39 pm

Interesting. What did you do from that junction? Ascend via Wentworth Falls, or carry on down Jamison Creek?
jonnosan

Postby Grabeach » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 9:26 pm

From the junction it was up Jamison Ck - Slacks Stairs - National Pass - Lillians Bridge - Inspiration Point.

Another walk we did about the same time was Gladstone Pass - Lindemans Pass - Roberts Pass - Vera Falls - Jamison Ck - spur MGA 545,616 to STW Road - left road at 534,624 - Sublime Pt Ridge - Copeland Pass.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby juxtaposer » Sat 06 Sep, 2014 11:52 am

Macquarie's diary, Friday 28th April 1815: "On the left we passed a very extensive deep romantic glen, full of very picturesque and wild scenery. It commenced at the 33rd Mile Tree and continues all the way from thence to the 41 Mile Tree, where we halted for the day, being 13 miles from our last halting place at the 2nd depot [Wentworth Falls]... I named the grand and picturesque extensive glen we passed this day on our left The Regent's Glen in honor of H.R. Highness the Prince Regent." It's pretty clear from this that Macquarie had in mind more than just the northern end of Jamison Valley.
juxtaposer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Allchin09 » Tue 25 Aug, 2015 12:00 am

Came across some information that may be of use:

10 A Prince Regents Glen:

The application of this name as intended by Governor Macquarie and explained by Allan Cunningham in his "Journal" is impossible now. It comprehended all the low country south of Blue Mountains Range, from junction of River Lett and Cox's River down to the Nepean, a tract about 24 m. long, according to Cunningham.

In order to preserve this historic name, the Committee approved its application to the abyss below Wentworth Falls (or Campbells Cataract) down to junction of Jamison Valley Ck. and Katoomba Ck. as shown in Robinson's Tourist Guide Book (map of Wentworth Falls and Leura).

Quoted from Central Blue Mountains Place-Names, Sheet 6. Complied by Myles J. Dunphy for the Second Session work of the Place-names Committee of the Blue Mountains National Park Trust.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes