A different Blacks Ladder on 6 foot track?

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

A different Blacks Ladder on 6 foot track?

Postby jonnosan » Mon 22 Sep, 2014 6:52 am

I am reading "Day Walks" compiled by Wilf Hilder at http://sbw.org.au/images/Documents/Wilf%20Day%20Walks[1].pdf and was intrigued by the occasional reference to Black(s) Ladder as a way of getting from the 6 foot track to the explorers tree. For example these trips on page 30:
Code: Select all

KATOOMBA - Taxi or bus - O'Sullivans Rd - Narrowneck R -
Narrowneck Trig Stn - Narrowneck Track - Dunphys Pass -
Fire Rd - Mitchells Ck - Six Foot Track - Pub Site - Blacks
Ladder (Canyon)(270.345) - Marked Tree - Katoomba.
23m.R

KATOOMBA - Taxi or bus - O'Sullivans Rd - Narrowneck
Track - Diamond Spray Falls - Red Ledge Pass (2595.3040) -
Glen Shale Mine (253.304) - Old Tramway Formation -
Dixons Rd - Six Foot Track - Black Ladder (Canyon 270.345)
- road - Convict Graves - Marked Tree - Katoomba. 10m.M

Given the context I don't believe this is the Blacks Ladder on the north of Radiata Plateau. But I can't work out how to decode the grid references. Anyone got any clues?
Last edited by jonnosan on Tue 23 Sep, 2014 6:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: A different Blacks Ladder on 6 foot track?

Postby MickyB » Mon 22 Sep, 2014 9:10 am

I couldn't open your link but found it after a Google search. On page 1 it states:

Grid references have been used in a few walks where the place
names are not shown on a map and these refer to the one inch to the
mile military map of the area, except where stated otherwise. (Walkers
should note that nearly all military maps give details for working out
grid references.) In a few cases, eight figure grid references have been
given for greater accuracy. Grid references should be marked in pencil
on the relevant map and the walking tour should likewise be pencilled
in before starting the journey.

Here is a link to Military grid reference system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_g ... nce_system

Hope this helps.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 22 Sep, 2014 10:22 am

Hi Jonno,

Fantastic read that book is, descriptions are as brief as they get, but just perfect for inspiring your own adventures!

I too have been intrigued by a few of the passes mentioned in Wilf's book. From memory Walford pass is another one nearby which lines up with Esgate Pass! (Interesting as I believe Ben Esgate had a strong dislike of Frank Walford). Again from memory, I think that the Blacks Ladder (Canyon) of from the book lines up with what Jim Smith calls Bottle Neck Pass. Also see (http://www.pnc.com.au/~wells/RadiataPlateau.html)

I have the old Katoomba 1 inch to the mile maps at home which the grid references correspond to. I am not aware of the conversion between that and our current system, but I will post a scan of the relevant section here for you when I get the chance.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 22 Sep, 2014 6:00 pm

Given the description and GR, my guess would be for Nellies Glen. There were many "Blacks Ladders" - there was also one at the foot of the Devils Hole before they blasted out the boulder at the bottom.

"Later settlers used Megalong Cleft, also known as Black's Ladder and then Nellie's Glen for access to the Ridgetops. (Nellie's Glen was named after the daughter of J.B. North an early Katoomba business man). Natural passes through the Blue Mountains cliff lines, that were used by Aboriginal people, were called ‘Blacks’ or ‘Black fellars ladders or staircases’."
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Grabeach » Mon 22 Sep, 2014 11:29 pm

I doubt Wilf would have used Blacks Ladder for Nellies Glen (Megalong Cleft). Wilf's book was published in 1959. This was prior to the destruction in the late 60s, so the original Six Foot Track existed all the way up the cleft. There wouldn't have been any need to make any additional notation. I also don't think he would have used "Canyon" to describe Nellies Glen. Bottle Neck better suits this description. We'll have to wait for Alex's GR interpretation.

Back in 1989, a rope wasn't needed in Bottle Neck due to a large fallen log laying in the creek bed against the drop. The log had gone (probably rotted away in the damp) by 2011 when I was next there.

Bottleneck log.jpg
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnf » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 12:08 am

I think the grid reference of those old military maps used what was called Australian National Grid (ANG) based on the Clarke 1858 spheroid

According to:
http://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/ ... #heading-1
[For conversion to the present MGA or older such as AGD66]
Several methods are possible, all but the first depend on having sites whose latitudes and longitudes are known in terms of both Clarke 1858 and Australian Geodetic Datum, AGD (common points).
Seems you need a number of points around the area concerned depending on the accuracy and method used.

Easiest if you have a map about. For Katoomba there is one online in the Dixson collection, attached is a screenshot.
Attachments
Nellies.png
Nellies.png (709.94 KiB) Viewed 12728 times
johnf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Allchin09 » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 12:21 am

Here is the old military topo referenced, and I have marked both "Blacks Ladder (Canyon)" (270.345) and "Walford Pass" (262.359) on it.

A few things to note:

1. Two conflicting GRs are giving for Walford Pass (262.369 and 262.359). I believe that one of them is just a typo and that the latter is correct. The reasoning is that it places the pass on the cliff line, and it make sense when combined with the referenced "spur" (257.363). See first walk on pg 31.

2. It seems that Hilder's Walford Pass is placed at what is shown in Jim Smith's book as Blacks Ladder. I believe that Blacks Ladder was shown to Jim by Ben Esgate, and as I mentioned, I think there were tensions between Esgate and Walford. Jim Smith worked with both people and both Esgate and Walford had connections with the local Aboriginals.

3. Hilder's Blacks Ladder (Canyon) is placed in the gully below Jim Smith's Bottle Neck Pass.

I'm not sure how Wilf came about these place names (and we may not be able to find out) however it would be interesting to talk to Jim Smith about it all as he seems to link to all involved parties.

Radiata Plateau.jpg
Annotated map
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby jonnosan » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 6:20 am

thanks for detective work!
jonnosan

Postby jonnosan » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 6:56 am

Here are some links to the online copies of the ANG maps that Johnf mentioned above:

Windsor : http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/album/albumVi ... 6&acmsid=0 - this covers as far west as Linden

Katoomba: http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/album/albumVi ... 7&acmsid=0
jonnosan

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 7:24 am

Guess it makes sense from the point of view of the "Convict Graves", which are on Pulpit Hill.

It is interesting that the modern day "Blacks Ladders" are on the northern side of Radiata Plateau. It would be interesting to know when this came about.Jim Smith's book on the Six Foot Track (1984) has a section on Blacks Ladders, but reaches no firm conclusion. This was written with considerable input and research from Wilf, so we can probably assume that Wilf was more certain in 1959 than 1984.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Grabeach » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 9:54 am

Paraphasing from ‘The Last Of The Cox’s River Men. Ben Esgate 1914-2003’ (by Jim Smith) Pgs 85, 86:-

During preparation of the Six Foot Track book, Wilf suggested Jim contact Ben re Blacks Ladder. Ben said the only place known by that name to him was on the northern side. After publication, Ben subsequently showed Jim the three Radiata Plateau passes #. Further investigation (Jim is very thorough) indicated three passes west of Katoomba historically had some ‘Black’ identification including The Devils Hole before blasting.

Ben was probably the ‘guru’ when it came to this area, having first used the northern pass with his brothers at age five. I personally remember Wilf deferring to Ben on such matters. I suspect Jim went with Ben’s opinion when publishing the 2nd Edition of How To See The Blue Mountains in 1986. I guess this semi formalised the location.

# Frank Bendeich has been up a fourth 'pass' (north east?) of Esgate Pass on 30/11/70. Involved very narrow ledges and was rather hairy.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes