Leura to Blackheath

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Leura to Blackheath

Postby robertoman » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 1:51 pm

I decided to tweak the Mt Victoria - Leura walk in the NPA "Bushwalks in the Sydney Region". Set off from Leura about 10am out along Mt Hay Road. A simple 10km meander along fire trail out to the track to The Pinnacles and Lockley's Pylon. Some nice views and rock formations. The fun begins at The Pinnacles.
DSC02964.JPG
The Pinnacles
The rock formations are great, and the ever changing views of the Grose Valley are awesome. Lockley's Pylon was quite spectacular. Finding the track down off the end of the plateau down into the valley was far trickier than I imagined it would be. A few terrifying places where I thought "oh surely not..." (and thankfully they weren't). Eventually two arrows carved into the rock indicated the way down. It still looked hairy enough.
DSC02975.JPG
the way down
Had a drink, had a bite, strapped in tight and down I went. Not that bad though. Met a great fellow heading up. Covered in scratches from some off track scrambling around the Jamison. We could have talked longer but we both had missions. At the bottom I faced the choice of wet feet, or a log crossing. Unwisely I chose the log but lived to tell the tale.
DSC02976.JPG
the log challenge

I last did the climb up to Perry's Lookdown about 30 years ago, and had completely forgotten how hard it is. It hasn't gotten shorter. It never ends.
DSC02979.JPG
nearly at the top

At the top I was running low on water, so resisted guzzling the lot. I headed along Hat Hill Rd and took left turn down to Pulpit Rock, then on to Govett's Leap. The track between the two was lovely, but very wet and muddy. At Govett's I dived on a tap and filled up. I had thought to walk out via Popes Glen, but it was cold and I needed sunlight, so I walked into Blackheath along the road. I was hoping for 3.02 train, but missed it by minutes. Happy to sit in the sun and await the 4.02. A great day. 30km all up.
Attachments
DSC02971.JPG
from Lockley's down the Grose Valley
robertoman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Leura to Blackheath

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 2:55 pm

10am to 3pm for 30km, that's 6km/h including a serious climb. Pretty serious stuff. What happened on that log crossing across Govetts Ck?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby robertoman » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 4:15 pm

training for a run up that way in October, so there was some shuffling along Mt Hay Rd, and other places, with a lot of walking and gawking and photos. Including a slow crawl the last half of climb up to Perry's Lookdown. Halfway across the log I did think "not so clever" but got across. Would think twice about doing it again
robertoman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 4:38 pm

That's a pretty big tree trunk but a bit polished and round. Not a lot of grip.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 6:06 pm

Water doesn't look deep enough to warrant the risk, but if you survived it doesn't matter.
Love that first shot.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby puredingo » Mon 06 Jul, 2015 12:23 pm

Good on ya mate, nice trip.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides