Newnes to Putty Road via Wolgan and Colo and Coloul Range

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Newnes to Putty Road via Wolgan and Colo and Coloul Range

Postby Rossbro » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi there
Thirty years ago I walked from Newnes down the Wolgan to Annie Rowan Creek. At the time I wasn't prepared/equipped to do the next sections - ARCk to Colo, along the Colo and up the spur opposite Munce Creek to the fire trail along the C Range.
Now I have the time I'm wondering if anyone has done this recently? At all? I remember the scrub along the Wolgan near AR Ck being pretty bad but would like some up-to-date info on the downstream sections, especially where the Wolgan canyon tightens before joining the Capertee. Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rossbro
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: Newnes to Putty Road via Wolgan and Colo and Coloul Rang

Postby rcaffin » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 9:35 pm

Yeah, the scrub is a bit renowned. The solution is however obvious:
1453.jpg
1453.jpg (192.98 KiB) Viewed 10847 times

If you can't walk the banks, you walk the river. I had better point out that there is some quicksand in places, so going solo could be risky.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rossbro » Sun 11 Jun, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi Roger
Thanks for responding. Nice pic and I must say I never thought of waders!!! Just wondering though - how representative is the pic of the river bed where the Wolgan is squeezed between the cliffs downstream of AR Ck? Massive boulder blockups and log jams that make the waders more of a burden than a blessing?
Rossbro
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 8:31 am

There's quick sand?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby rcaffin » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 9:26 pm

Waders??? Just nylon trousers! Waders would be horrible - and they would fill up with water when you fall over. Fergedit.

Boulder blockups and log jams? No-one said the route was easy. It isn't.

Quick sand? Oh yes, lots of it. Places where the water pops up to the surface from 'below' The sand gets sort of suspended by the water flow, and does not support your weight.

Fwiiw - we (Sue & I) have walked all the Wolgan from around Newnes, all the Capertee from Glen Davis, all the Colo from the W/C junction to Colo-Meroo, and all the Wollemi. There are a lot of cliffs. At least you usually have enough water.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes