Jindelara Ck.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Jindelara Ck.

Postby puredingo » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 4:58 pm

If any punters out there are looking for a solid day hit out which covers a lot of the different bushwalking aspects then this little loop could be right up your alley.

I had walked all around Jindelara Ck many times on different walks and always thought it looked like and interesting creek with a mini gorge section thrown in, so after reading it was once used by out of town Aboriginal tribes as a walking route to Mt Kingiman for their tribal meetings, well, I was sold.

I parked up at the entrance to the Northern Buffer Rd and walked up to the ridge line of the Kingiman rd. You can actually drive a lot of the way up the Buffer Rd, possibly all the way in a decent 4x4, but you never know if someone might lock you in or what not so I just parked on the road. Anyway once up on the Kingiman Rd go right and before long on your left you will see the start of the Jindelara Rd. A road this is not! Barely a foot track now but easy enough to follow, so follow this track downhill for a k and as the track takes a left hand bend ( check your compass as this is not obvious) leave the track and head off for a scrubby but pleasant bash down to a creek that will connect you with Jinelara creek proper.

This little unnamed creek puts you a couple of Ks down from the head of the creek right in gorge country and its a magnificent sight to see. Sparkling, clear pools fit for swimming, big, round boulders for easy rock hoping under towering trees which somehow escaped the getters. And if you want camp caves, this lovely little creek has them in spades. The Aboriginals who came In from the West must of felt like they were booked into the Hilton of creeks and as I sat in a Gunyah eating lunch I imagined them camping the night before a ceremony or tribal negotiations and I wondered many things.

After making my way down stream the creek begins to lessen in flow and banks widen and soon it's a gentle stroll on soft Heath from moist leaves. You soon see the trees on this more accessible part of the creek weren't so lucky and the tell tale sign of stumps let you no that the pigeons house Ft is about to be reached.

From here you can either follow the Jindelara Rd back up or, like me, take the Kingiman road back around where you can climb Kingiman mountain also.

So it's basically a day walk of around 15 klm's all up but it's very accessible and well worth your time.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Jindelara Ck.

Postby michael_p » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 7:48 pm

Nice report Mr Dingo. Always good to find something new in an area you think you know already.

Cheers.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks Michael, Now I'm home I have just re-read that trip report which I wrote on my tiny iPhone in a crowded room and geez....it's a bit of a mess! I hope I didn't do little Jindelara a mis justice??
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 10:03 am

I found the report most interesting as usual. That is not an area I really know anything about.

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 5:29 pm

I probably should have been a bit more location specific for the people unfamiliar with the area.

Jindelara creek runs through the valley that separates the headlands which jut off the Liitle Forest plateau, Florance head and Rusden head. Rusden head is the more Western of the two and has a ridge running off it to the South, along the ridge is Wombat Ridge fire trail (fiercely overgrown). To the East is Florance head and likewise has the Kingiman ridge Fire trail heading off in a Southerly direction. Along this FT is Mount Kingiman (Kingiman meaning "meeting place" in the local Aboriginal vernacular) this where the neighbouring tribes would gather, the western ones taking an ancient but most recently used walking route, dropping from the Budawang range around now Sneddon pass, tracking under the escarpment under Mt Owne and the Castle and down Yadboro river. Up Longfella ridge and finally camping in Jindelara creek.

NOW! If one was compelled one could drive up little forest road, hop up through ingold gap, walk out to Florance head drop down into Jindelara, down stream into the gorge, climb up and out onto Wombat ridge, drop into Pigeon house gorge on the other side, walk down to the Clyde river junction, walk up Longfella ridge to the pigeon house Ft, walk UP pigeon house through the backdoor (covered in previous report) then cruise down to your waiting chauffeur Geeves who will be waiting with a snifter of Brandy ,dressing gown, pipe and slippers...Who's in?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jackhinde » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 6:37 pm

me. when?
jackhinde
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby puredingo » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 10:52 am

Soon, let me know your availabilities and we'll put wheels in motion.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mirv2535 » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi we drove up to Kingiman mountain via Kingiman Road thought we would try to walk up and check out the view, we thought there would be a track but we couldn't find one. Do you have any suggestions.
mirv2535
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby puredingo » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:14 pm

Mate, there is no definite track as far as I know. I just bashed along an animal pad for a bit and found a rock without trees in front so I could get a view. Being a "rounder" mountain the views aren't always great.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mirv2535 » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks for that
mirv2535
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes