Myall Lakes National Park

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Myall Lakes National Park

Postby Rileyr » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi all,
I joined the forum yesterday and thought I would put up a little info about the walk I did on the weekend.

The walk was in the Myall Lakes National Park close to Hawks Nest, NSW. On the first day it followed the Mungo Track (starting from the national mark off Mungo rd) and went through to Brambles Green camp ground (heading NE). It was a fairly small campground with a nice view of the water (as seen in the photo). I had it to myself!

The next day I followed the trail up to Mungo Brush campground (a much larger, busier campground with lots of caravans). I had to head home at some stage and chose to walk back along the beach (heading SW). It was pretty hard work in the sand all day but made it back at 4pm or so (after a midday kip). I saw some humpback whales jumping from the water too!

Anyway it was enjoyable walk in fairly thick scrub (wide track though) and a good walk back along the beach.

Here is a photo of camp at Brambles Green, the phone gps track and part of the info center map.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Myall Lakes National Park

Postby Ant71 » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 7:25 pm

Nice I will have to do this walk one day. The walk up Yacaabah headland at the end of the beach is a good half day walk in the same area
Ant71
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Rileyr » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 11:21 am

My partner and I did another walk in the Myal Lakes National Park.

This time we started at the small grassy carpark near pipers creek. We walked through to Joes Cove heading NE (about 25km) on the first day.

Joes Cove was a good little campground - with 2 large camp sites allocated. Because you have to either walk or boat to Joes Cove we were the only people there which was great.

On the 2nd day we walked from Joes Cove down to the Old Gibber Trail and followed is East onto the Mining Road Trail. Instead of following it all the way to Seal Rocks Road we turned South on Yagon Trail (I think). That led us to a dirt road to head East into Seal Rocks. This was a 30+km day - but the swim at the end at Seal Rocks was worth it!

If we had more time it would have been much more relaxing to have spent the 1st night at Brambles Green campground like I did last time. The 2nd night at Shelley Beach (or somewhere a bit further than Joes Cove) and hitting Seal Rocks on the 3rd day. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Rosscodj » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 7:45 am

Thanks for posting! I've been meaning to head up this way for a while. Definitely keen to check out more of this area.
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby puredingo » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 7:11 pm

I've only ever surfed around that area but from the water stared longingly at the bush, it looks unreal.

Pretty solid hit-out for you and your partner. Nice work, keep it up.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby awildland » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks for the great info Riley. (And welcome to the forum.) We've paddled the lakes but also not really done much walking there but it is such a beautiful spot. like your three day suggestion for the through walk to Seal Rocks.
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 29 Jun, 2018 10:54 am

Great photos and info!

I did a day walk week before last from the same grassy carpark you mention at Pipers Crossing/Robinsons Crossing, had lunch at Brambles Green and back. Have to say your photos of Brambles Green seem much 'drier' than when I was there, it had rained the week before and I walked through a whole lotta water that day, was fun. I found the only dry spot at Brambles (lots of ground water) and enjoyed the view over lunch.

I am wondering whether you and your partner encountered any 'undesirables' during your walks up there? I found I was a bit on edge for my day walk there as there was road access reasonably nearby to wherever I was. Walking up here at home, once I head off, there is no road access so the only people I see (rarely!) are other walkers.
I was just popping out of the bush where my car was parked at the end of the day and was wolf-whistled and heckled by a 4wd full of men. I was SO pleased I could see my car and get to it. They drove on after slowing down to harass me, but still, the encounter unsettled me.

I am keen to do some more walks there as I want to do as much of the Tops to Myall Trail that is still do-able and I also enjoyed no hills- although your beach walk sounded hardcore! Just didn't know if my sense of unease about walking around there is reality or just tainted by my negative encounter. Seems you have spent a bit more time there and in a busier time of year too, so would be keen to hear your impressions.
Attachments
Brambles Green.jpg
Brambles Green lunch stop
Brambles Green.jpg (392.61 KiB) Viewed 31595 times
Water on track B Green.jpg
Track aka. lake enroute to Brambles Green
Water on track B Green.jpg (435.63 KiB) Viewed 31595 times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 6:11 pm

Well, I answered my own question- have overnighted twice this Winter so far as well as some daywalks. Haven;t had another dodgy encounter.
Either no-one is on the trails and campsites (other than road accessible ones) or just small groups of school kids canoeing /walking.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ant71 » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 9:11 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Great photos and info!

I did a day walk week before last from the same grassy carpark you mention at Pipers Crossing/Robinsons Crossing, had lunch at Brambles Green and back. Have to say your photos of Brambles Green seem much 'drier' than when I was there, it had rained the week before and I walked through a whole lotta water that day, was fun. I found the only dry spot at Brambles (lots of ground water) and enjoyed the view over lunch.

I am wondering whether you and your partner encountered any 'undesirables' during your walks up there? I found I was a bit on edge for my day walk there as there was road access reasonably nearby to wherever I was. Walking up here at home, once I head off, there is no road access so the only people I see (rarely!) are other walkers.
I was just popping out of the bush where my car was parked at the end of the day and was wolf-whistled and heckled by a 4wd full of men. I was SO pleased I could see my car and get to it. They drove on after slowing down to harass me, but still, the encounter unsettled me.

I am keen to do some more walks there as I want to do as much of the Tops to Myall Trail that is still do-able and I also enjoyed no hills- although your beach walk sounded hardcore! Just didn't know if my sense of unease about walking around
there is reality or just tainted by my negative encounter. Seems you have spent a bit more time there and in a busier time of year too, so would be keen to hear your impressions.

Hi just wondering if anyone knows how far it is from pipers crossing to Brambles Greenthanks
Ant71
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Wollemi » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 9:31 am

Ant71 wrote:Hi just wondering if anyone knows how far it is from pipers crossing to Brambles Greenthanks

You are doing too much wondering and not enough googling. I entered Bulahdelah as a random start, clicked on the map in the top right. Clicked Directions in top left. Entered Piper's Crossing, entered Brambles Green, clicked enter. And see the result is 20.1km in 4h03m of walking, via Mungo Brush and Sandy Point.

https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/reso ... reenTk.pdf
You can also physically stick a ruler up to your computer screen, and see that 2km = 15mm. 105mm divided by 15 = 6.5. 6.5 x 2 = 13km
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 05 Dec, 2019 4:35 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Well, I answered my own question- have overnighted twice this Winter so far as well as some daywalks. Haven;t had another dodgy encounter.
Either no-one is on the trails and campsites (other than road accessible ones) or just small groups of school kids canoeing /walking.

Still the case as above! I even walked out and camped on the Easter long weekend on the Old Gibber Trail this year with my two youngest kids (my pack weighed 21kg lugging most of their gear :shock: ) and all the campsites we drove past to get to where we were leaving our car were chockablock, so full it would have been very unpleasant. Not our walk in site- a short, easy walk and about 800 metres of beautiful waterfront campsites to choose from and pristine drop loos. Not another person to be seen. It was a magical, secluded weekend. Lovely area.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes