Traversing the Winburndale Range

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Traversing the Winburndale Range

Postby FatCanyoner » Wed 26 Feb, 2020 6:41 pm

After being pretty hopeless at publishing trip reports in recent years, I’ve decided to finalise a few from particularly memorable trips. I’m particularly trying to focus on some of the areas that escaped recent bushfires and are therefore accessible. Winburndale is a prime example.

The Winburndale Range had grabbed my attention on the satellite images with its series of impressive escarpments running in an almost perfectly straight line. The fact that I’d never even heard of this place — despite it being located just over the Great Dividing Range on the way to Bathurst — only piqued my interest more.

A little research revealed a truly unique place full of contradictions: a mountain range topped with river stones; sub-alpine forests perched among the dry plains of the central west; and a row of conglomerate cliffs bursting out of the earth at a 45 degree angle.

Much of the range falls within Winburndale Nature Reserve. Because the primary aim of the park is the protection of diverse flora and fauna, rather than human recreation, there is very little promotion of the area, with low impact activities like bushwalking all that is allowed.

My plan was to traverse as much of the rocky escarpments as possible, including what looked like an impressive knife-edge ridge. I also wanted to check out a couple interesting creeks as they carved deep chasms through the range.

My full trip report, with a large selection of photos, is here: https://fatcanyoners.org/2020/02/26/winburndale/

07.jpg

15.jpg

21.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Re: Traversing the Winburndale Range

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 26 Feb, 2020 8:38 pm

Very interesting... and great photos. I'd never heard of that area but it looks fantastic. Oddly, the colours of the rocks and vegetation and angles/linearity of the escarpments remind me more of the Victorian alps than nsw (eg the peaks surrounding the upper howqua area?).

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 27 Feb, 2020 9:10 am

Yes, it's a very similar look to the Viking/Razor and King Billy ridges.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby rcaffin » Wed 04 Mar, 2020 8:43 pm

Amazing stuff!
Cheers
Roger
rcaffin