Upper Grose mines

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Upper Grose mines

Postby GregG » Sun 20 Sep, 2020 6:37 pm

On Friday I headed out north of Mount Victoria on Victoria Falls Road to check out a couple of mine sites I had not visited previously (thanks for the recommendation JohnW). The road is in good shape all the way out to Asgard Head apart from a few easily dodged potholes. First up was the Blair Athol No4 site which is easy to find with brand new signposting, the walk-in was quite easy apart from a steady trickle of water from the recent rain making the floor slippery in places, the roof looks stable, air seemed ok although very humid. Well worth a look to see how mining was done nearly 100 years ago. I took advantage of the post-bushfire sparse vegetation to check out the surface workings and found bit and pieces including a piece of rail from a narrow gauge railway well away from the mine entrance.

Next stop was Thor Head, the track was in very good shape and in fact I ran into the work crew (the only people we saw all day) just before Asgard Swamp working on draining a water-soaked clay bog on the trail, they had done a huge amount of work on this section of track and also put in new steps down to Asgard mine and other places. An intriguing find a few metres off the track was the remains of a near-melted down-hill bike chained to the charred trunk of a tree, it made me hope the owner got back home ok on the day. There are plenty of signs of regrowth, especially the Waratahs, heaps of Duck orchids and thelymitra ssp.(?).
The Asgard mine was again easy to find because of the new signage and lack of scrub. It looks like National Parks have made a good effort to put this part of the park back into good working order. Asgard mine goes straight into into the cliff a distance of maybe twenty metres, there is reasonable headroom and again the ceiling looks stable. Noticeable here were the tree ferns which have resprouted and are looking incongruous amongst charred ashes of the gum trees. Nine months after the fires the landscape in this whole area is still pretty bare of scrub and groundcover, it is interesting to observe the differences in recovery of certain places with virtually no regrowth and very little in the way of standing tree stumps indicating the intensity of the fire in that place, compared to other spots which are greening up and trees showing regrowth. I saw no birds or animals apart from the skeleton of I think a wombat, Pretty worrying if this is the new normal there. On the up-side it is a good time to be able to have a good clear view of the local topography uninterrupted by the usual vegetation.
Attachments
20200918_122930_resized_1.jpg
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Re: Upper Grose mines

Postby GregG » Sun 20 Sep, 2020 6:41 pm

More pictures, deceased bike still chained to burnt tree.
Attachments
20200918_133030_resized_1.jpg
GregG

Postby GregG » Sun 20 Sep, 2020 6:43 pm

Orchids
Attachments
20200918_120600_resized.jpg
GregG

Postby GregG » Sun 20 Sep, 2020 7:31 pm

Asgard mine tree ferns.
Attachments
Asgard Swamp 2020-09-18 (27)_resized.jpg
GregG

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 8:27 am

The white orchid is a Caladenia. Not sure which from that pic.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby GregG » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 10:00 am

Thanks NNW, I wasn't too sure about that one. There were lots and lots of them easily seen because of their lack of ground cover.
GregG

Postby rcaffin » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 1:12 pm

Commonly known as 'Ladys Fingers'. We have them o the farm.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GregG » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 8:39 pm

Thanks Roger.
GregG