Kanangra to Katoomba (aka K2K)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Kanangra to Katoomba (aka K2K)

Postby roopass » Mon 19 Jul, 2021 10:09 am

Looking at doing this sometime in spring, if Covid is kind to us :), i've read and seen videos explaining how its very easy to get lost,...could be a stupid question, but would'nt there be a trail evident of some sort, by hikers tramping over this area in years gone by ? , yes will be bringing PLB ,map and track notes aswell.
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Kanangra to Katoomba (aka K2K)

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 19 Jul, 2021 6:13 pm

Best to seek advice from those who have done it since the fires. There is a "track" the whole way, but like a lot of tracks in the area can be vague in places (moreso in the gangerangs) and isn't signposted. Fires might (or might not) have obscured the tracks, or weeds/regrowth might be an issue, but as I said you'd need to ask more recent walkers. Also bear in mind that there are numerous ways to do it... most popular is via strongleg and yellow pup but there are numerous options.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 8:03 am

Good advice above. Having done it a number of ways years ago also I can say it is worthwhile but the track can be very vague in places. You just need to be map or position aware. Many years ago someone, with only a mud map (so I heard), died on the way down from Cloudmaker to Dex creek. Not sure of the circumstances now but he was on his own. The wrong way can be worn well also as people return on it when they find out their mistake.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby roopass » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 10:28 am

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:Best to seek advice from those who have done it since the fires. There is a "track" the whole way, but like a lot of tracks in the area can be vague in places (moreso in the gangerangs) and isn't signposted. Fires might (or might not) have obscured the tracks, or weeds/regrowth might be an issue, but as I said you'd need to ask more recent walkers. Also bear in mind that there are numerous ways to do it... most popular is via strongleg and yellow pup but there are numerous options.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Thanks for those trail name suggestions, great!
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roopass » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 10:32 am

Xplora wrote:Good advice above. Having done it a number of ways years ago also I can say it is worthwhile but the track can be very vague in places. You just need to be map or position aware. Many years ago someone, with only a mud map (so I heard), died on the way down from Cloudmaker to Dex creek. Not sure of the circumstances now but he was on his own. The wrong way can be worn well also as people return on it when they find out their mistake.

Thanks Xplora, that makes sense about the wrong way being well worn, tks!
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roopass » Tue 27 Jul, 2021 8:32 am

So how hairy is Tarros ladder ?, not the best with heights :), couple of the videos I’ve seen, it does look like a bit of a challenge
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby keithj » Tue 27 Jul, 2021 1:09 pm

roopass wrote:So how hairy is Tarros ladder ?, not the best with heights :), couple of the videos I’ve seen, it does look like a bit of a challenge

Tarros ladder is optional. The alternative is Wallaby Track which can be found on the East side 50m before Tarros Ladders and has virtually no exposure - See OpenTopo Map.
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roopass » Tue 27 Jul, 2021 2:38 pm

Ok wow!, tks legend :)
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GregG » Tue 27 Jul, 2021 8:48 pm

roopass wrote:So how hairy is Tarros ladder ?, not the best with heights :), couple of the videos I’ve seen, it does look like a bit of a challenge

Honestly Roopass, Tarros is not that hairy. I looked at a few of those videos you mention and I would say that it is humans nature to make a climb look worse than it really is :) , in fact I think one of the pictures that Google threw up was actually Carlons spikes and chains rather than Tarros. You can always make it a bit easiet by roping your pack up after you. Also as Keithj says, you can always scramble up the Wallaby track. But it is entirely up to you.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby roopass » Wed 28 Jul, 2021 7:31 am

Ok tks Greg, I guess I’ll assess the situation when I get there , I’ve got a 10m length rope, or would I need to buy a longer one ?
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 28 Jul, 2021 3:22 pm

roopass wrote:Ok tks Greg, I guess I’ll assess the situation when I get there , I’ve got a 10m length rope, or would I need to buy a longer one ?

Are you going up or down? It's not really that exposed either way, but going up is less daunting than down. Could take a rope but once you get there you might find it unnecessary?
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby roopass » Wed 28 Jul, 2021 3:50 pm

Ok tks, yeah going up
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Thu 29 Jul, 2021 8:34 am

I wouldn't bother taking the rope. In the uphill direction, the step up to the first rung is the big one. After that they're closer together (if a bit oddly positioned).
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes